Game-Labs Forum

Research and other general bullshipping....

Admiral Donuts

So I started a campaign as Japan 1890. I thought I would test, for the first time...NOT focusing on any particular research, except maybe if something is close like armor, which is always a pain to get. And I do love my Kruppdates.

About mid-1893....very advanced. So that's new to me.

Secondly, I have very good relations with Russia, who is at war with everyone else but the US. shrug

I have 0 relations with China. shrug

In fact, the only bad relation I have is the US. Not sure why they are insisting on a conflict, we are a peaceful people after all. Right? They are already in a war with Germany, so it's not a financial issue. Well....it might be. I just surpassed their GDP. The only economy stronger than mine is Germany, and it's a close call. Sometimes they are short of me, most of the time ahead just a bit in growth.

I have not yet been at war, and it's 1902. Another first. From the first month both Russia and China were consistently improving relations with me.

I've limited the fleet to 7BBs, 7CAs, 12CLs, 12DDs. I've played with that limit before and it's more than enough to handle the 257 ship US navy if I need to. The Dreadnought I's have been layed down as have a new set of heavy cruisers. No subs yet. Next light cruiser and Destroyer tonnage gets built as well.

In the last campaign, I was at war with Russia 3 times, and with China 4 times, in the first 10 years. It was the first time I secured Mongolia in a peace, though I never was able to get Formosa. I'm honestly not sure Mongolia offers anything in return but another province. I still think they mean Manchuria, not Mongolia. I chose Formosa with a huge remaining victory total, but they refused. I never got any territory from Russia. During the 3rd Sino-Japanese war, they declared on me again this time with 0 surface navy. They DID have 139 submarines though. And I noticed, each time I sank one of their submarines I earned over 29,000 vps. That was a short and bloodless war. But I got tired of the constant wars and being unable to grow my economy decently, and when the game crashed the last time that campaign was abandoned.

---------------

SO. I started a US campaign in which, again, the only bad relations I had was with Russia. And I was certainly not going to empty the bank for them. So I held a press conference...

Immediately, the Russians were securing VPs. I was not. Eventually, I sank 1 CA and 1 CL in a battle in the Caribbean. The Russians....sank nothing, not even a transport. Yet my government kept insisting we were losing the war badly, when the Russians were only ever ahead by maybe 1000 VPs at any given time. I finally decided to sortie a task force out to the Baltic. They arrived with low fuel, and I turned around and went home. That accomplished nothing but a couple months of repairs. There was no point to this.

So I started a German campaign, which ended up boring. Most everybody wanted to ally with me, except Austria-Hungary. AH eventually ultimatumed me, and we went to war. By now it was into the 1930s. I joined the existing alliance of France and Great Britain. Watched a bit to see what was happening, and decided to send a task force to the Eastern Med to blockade them, and it went off without a hitch. When I arrived, the entire AH navy sortied to intercept. My flagship the Deutschland ate 6 torpedo hits in that fight, including 4 from one salvo (bang bang bang bang), and burped. It never gave up flagship status. Bows and arrows against the lightning. When the battle was over, AH had one banged up light cruiser left in the fleet and they immediately surrendered. First real fight in a long time. And my alliances dropped.

Then the Russians attacked. This one was odd. I enjoyed excellent relations with the Russians from the beginning. Then suddenly -80. They too were at war with AH and nobody else, and I had no alliance at this point. There was no event or anything I could find to justify it. Not that I cared, I would scrap them too. Most of their navy was in the Baltic anyway. So my submarine fleet of 60 high-tech subs sailed for the Baltic. It had little effect. Again, the Russians were gaining VPs like crazy while still unable to sink anything of mine.

So I abandoned that bullship campaign too. It was a shame since my economy was $120 billion ahead of #2 Britain.

And here we are. Back in Japan with a whole new set of circumstances, which is refreshing for a change. I have no doubt the US is planning a surprise attack on Yokohama. A date which is yet to be determined, and will live in infamy. I will then probably lose the war because they are gaining VPs and I am not, and sailing to go after them is pointless.

Tell me your experiences!

Edited by Admiral Donuts

October, 1904. WAR!

The Russians in their haste to mess with the Chinese fleet did something arbitrary and very bad. We chose the obvious option.

November, 1904. The Russians are winning this war! (after losing several ships and merchant shipping taking a hit) We don't know how long we can hold out...

June, 1905. The Russians lose another 24 merchant ships. Gain 250 Vps to give them more lead in this war. The Emperor is writing poems...

Edited by Admiral Donuts

Finally! 2 legitimate battles in one month! Sank 52 Russian military vessels with no losses.

One Russian CL survived between both fights. Could not find it after extensive pursuit. Russians reduced to 32 ships in their entire naval forces.

We are now winning the war, but not by much. The Emperor is still a wreck....

August 1905 - found that CL after all still off Hokkaido Island. Kinugasa took her down.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

Well, after sinking the mass bulk of what remained of the Russian navy, and hundreds of transports without losing a single vessel, Russia is winning. The Emperor is preparing to sue for peace.

In a last-ditch desperate gamble, I have moved half the fleet into the Sea of Japan hoping to turn the tide of defeat.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

April 1907 - I'm losing by 1,000 VPs now, having lost no ships and no merchant vessels and doing savage damage to the Russian navy and economy. Vladivostok is under unbreakable blockade.

Admiral Dojo, in charge of the fleet, after having won every battle, and has no idea how to win this war, is preparing hara-kiri...

June 1907 - I have lost a destroyer. This war is over.

August 1907 - We are winning! By 8 VPs. The government asked me to accept peace with Russia.

Sure.

Somehow the Russians managed to build 37 ships and crew them with 360 men. The entire Russian navy has now sailed for the far east and is arriving presently...

Edited by Admiral Donuts

May 1908 - I now have a 3,000 VP lead over Russia.

The government has informed me that the war does not go well and we should settle for unfavorable terms.

My only conclusion can be that the government has been infiltrated by Tsarist elements bent on deception and intrigue. I have hired assassins...

***Note to developers***

In the previous comment, you notice I am winning the war, but the government insists on an unproductive peace.

I have found the reason. In the previous month, Great Britain, France, and Spain made peace with Russia, and it was THEIR war total that was showing on the left. I am in no alliances and haven't been at all. This is my only war.

However, when the new war screen appeared on the left this month, it's carrying the same victory total over that the Russians enjoyed against the other three powers - to my war.

This is why I've ended every campaign in the last month. The game is broken and this is the primary reason -

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2885613217

On the upper left is the same victory point totals left over from the previous conflict of other powers.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

***Note to developers***

I added focus research to manufactured submarines under submarine experiments. When I discovered it, and submarine experiments ended, I could no longer retrieve the focus.

Man is this campaign getting buggered up.

edit - when this happened, I went back in to the game and tried something - I used all 3 foci on random research, and it took the third one from where it was stuck. That is the workaround.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

Now then - back to the bugged Japanese campaign.

The Admiral is ill. Feels like flu coming on again, or maybe an infection in my leg. So bear with me through all the misspelled words and even stranger ideas.

Russia surrendered to some minor concessions the instant I had positive VPs on the War Table on the left. In the meantime, Austria-Hungary sent me the ultimatum, again when I thought we had good relations. Okay then, AH.

I am not going to Europe.

Two months later, the US declared war on me. I am not going to America.

But the American navy came to the Sea of Japan in relatively short over. 100 ships plus of it. And the rest was on the way too.

And this is where it got hairy again. I had the standard fleet build- 7BBs, 7CAs, 12CLs, 12DDs.

About midway through the thrashing, it occurred to me that there was absolutely no reason to keep destroyers around in those fights. All they do is get ganked by incoming fire on other targets. So my new tactics include that, Just send the DDs away.

Scrapped half the American fleet, and the remainder was just sitting there. Now things went really awry. FOR TEN MONTHS AFTER THAT BATTLE, the same 4 ships did the same missions working over that fleet. In one month those four ships hit that task force twice! Half of it was left, but it was trashed. Each time it seemed I had less and less ammo and fuel. I needed a workaround - so I started sending those ships into auto-battles. They finally started taking damage after a year had gone by, and back to port to get the ammo finally.

And so that's where I left it to try to get some rest.

edit - you have no idea how long it took me to write this.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

It's now October 1912 - Germany declared war on me. I'm not going to Europe.

But the Germans came to me, and after 2 months blockading me with a huge force, we started tracking them down.

Germany now has 32 ships left and this battle. Admiral Slideshow Bob got his butt handed to him in a naval disaster, which wasn't the first for them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2885613217

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2886326608

4 of their torpedo boats escaped, all of them damaged. But I was low fuel and it was time to leave the engagement zone.

I want to thank the Germans for bringing it so I could get my fix tonight.

In other news, I'm not only fighting the Germans, who consistently get their 250 VPs per month, but also having to overcome all the previous wars fought on Earth. I've been successful in that. So far Russia quit, I suspect Austria-Hungary and the US will be leaving this war next. No navy in the world is any match. Yet.

The Chinese have offered me an alliance if I sent them a boat full of money. Of course not. That would just bring Britain, France and Spain into the war against me as well. And I would get to pay for that privilege. Doesn't sound like all that great a deal. They didn't like that. I don't care.

Now commissioning our first dozen submarines. They're garbage. But they'll do.

Back to the eternal war...

December, 1912 - The United States has surrendered. I made an attempt to grab Dutch Harbor but they wouldn't have it.

February, 1913 - Germany keeps bringing it. In an act of unscrupulous aggression, they have allied with Britain, France and Spain. This should be interesting, since I am already winning that war by almost 15,000 VPs according to the tell-tale war score screen.

I have increased the size of the fleet to 12 each of ship types in anticipation of this move...the BBs are arriving shortly for their first refit.

December, 1914 - I have 6 new BCs and 12 new CLs coming in 9 months and 12 new destroyers in 7. Germany now has a very small, very advanced navy that I just met in battle. I wasn't impressed. My 1 BB sank their 3 in as many minutes, and the heavy cruiser, who tried to run, never completed its turn. Germany has resumed free VPs and now Britain as well, though the alliance is losing massive numbers of merchant ships. Italy Has joined the war now. Everybody in that alliance is behind or very behind in technology with the exception of Britain at average, and Germany at very advanced.

And now Russia has begun making threats of war.

I don't understand why everybody wants to go to war with me. We're a peaceful people.

Edited by Admiral Donuts