Game-Labs Forum

Mega mod!

Sapphire

Finally, a mod that combines all the features of my other mods into 1..... The mega pack. Designed to keep you on your toes throughout a campaign and in custom battles, this mega mod aim's to provide a more challenging gameplay environment.

NOTE: ONLY works on 1.8, not the new beta! This mod won't be updated until the 1.9 update fully releases on the main branch 

Features 

• Gun length, diameter changed (max length: 70 min: -100) (Diameter: 2.9) 
  • Tech boost is now if tech is late by 2 years it's boosted 10x (Bugged)
  • Increased crew modifier
  • Changed AI legendary GPD income multiplier 
  • Changed how long the shipyard takes to upgrade from 24 months to 16
  • Max tonnage built per upgrade in the shipyard
  • The research tree will show research times 
  • AI will now refit more often 
  • AP fire chance is reduced slightly 
  • You can now decline a peace offer and keep a war going (No more pesky government) 
  • Super BB hull 2 for countries that offer it, tonnage is increased with beam and draft. 
  • Countries that don't have a super BB hull 2, their Super BB hull 1 is increased instead
  • DD leader hulls can now go from 500 tons to their usual max tonnage
  • DDs can mount up to 12-inch guns (Destroyer leader hulls only!.... Edit: applies to all DD hulls) 
  • DDs torpedo requirement has been removed 
  • TBs are now able to be built until you retire 
  • TBs can mount up to 5 inchers 
  • Transports will now mount larger caliber guns 
  • Transports always mount a minimum of 5 guns and a max of 15  
  • Transports can spawn longer and heavier than before. 
  • Transports are now controllable 
  • Transports now have up to 5 inches of armor 
  • MK V guns are now able to be mounted in the custom battles 
  • Only 1 gun is needed per hull 
  • Sonar station III range increased from 175 meters to 300
  • Dreadnoughts can now be built until the 1950
  • CA and CLs can now mount a higher caliber of guns
  • Crew surrender is now reduced from 55% to 10%
  • Max tech budget is increased from 50% to 60% (Seems a bit buggy) 
  • 24-inch torpedoes do more damage now (Doubled what they could before)
  • Advanced propeller shaft III now offers double the turning speed than it had before
  • AI should counter players better (Heavily in the testing phase feedback is greatly appreciated)
  • Other goodies

Known issues: 

• Making gun length -100 makes the barrel disappear (Applies to all guns although some have issues even at -85) 
  • Shell disappears midflight when having shorter barrels (Increase length of the barrel to fix)
  • The same bug that armor values once had (Open and close the editor and it should be fixed)
  • Italian 11-incher has a bugged reload when barrel length is at 50% or higher (shorten barrel length to fix) 
  • Casemate diameter to +2.9 does not noticeably change penetration 
  • DDs with larger caliber guns with long barrels have a bugged reload (shorten barrel length to fix) 
  • CLs and CAs with larger caliber guns with long barrels have a bugged reload (shorten barrel length to fix) 
  • TRs sometimes spawn with nothing but the hull (No idea how to fix it)
  • Tech boost is bugged (Have to look into it)

To install: download the file, go to your (Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data) folder and copy this file and click replace. (If you want to easily revert make a backup of resources.assets first!) Any bugs you encounter do not report to the devs instead feel free to leave a comment or ping me on the UAD official discord server Sapphire#0616

To uninstall: Delete the resources.assets file and replace with a backup or delete it and verify through steam 

Download link: https://dl.orangedox.com/GCoks0AXWDziFmz2PJ

unknown.png

Edited by Sapphire
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I've got a few questions. First do you plan on enlarging the maximum caliber of light and heavy cruiser guns, and if so how large are you planning on making them? Also would it be possible/feasible to make barbettes freely placeable?

Also after a bit of messing around I've noticed that stats are affected quite oddly by an increase in size over 1.1 inches. For a 2 inch Mk 1 gun with a barrel length increased by 60% at 2.9 inches results in 19% accuracy, bring it to 3 inches and it is 33%, bring it to 4 and its 33%, 4.1 results in 44%, 4.9 results in 44% as well. I tested this all out on the same cruiser hull.

Edited by EatingAlloy

17 hours ago, EatingAlloy said:

I've got a few questions. First do you plan on enlarging the maximum caliber of light and heavy cruiser guns, and if so how large are you planning on making them? Also would it be possible/feasible to make barbettes freely placeable?

Also after a bit of messing around I've noticed that stats are affected quite oddly by an increase in size over 1.1 inches. For a 2 inch Mk 1 gun with a barrel length increased by 60% at 2.9 inches results in 19% accuracy, bring it to 3 inches and it is 33%, bring it to 4 and its 33%, 4.1 results in 44%, 4.9 results in 44% as well. I tested this all out on the same cruiser hull.

I might enlarge the maximum caliber if users are interested in it.  I suppose I could increase the heavy cruiser to 15 and the light to 10. As for barbettes, I believe it would require editing the hull models, which is too risky with this upcoming update so close. As diameter changes, it's a known issue as the game gets a little funky with adding more diameter compared to the length 

2 hours ago, The ArduousMoth said:

Hi, was wondering if this also works on the steam version of the game, since i run the game off steam

It does indeed, the launcher version no longer is updated to the current version of the game. The easiest way to find the game files is to go into steam right click on Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts hover over managed and click on browse local files and go into Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data folder and drop the mod in and click replace 

• Like 1

Update: 

Sonar station III range increased from 175 meters to 300

Dreadnoughts can now be built until the 1950

CA and CLs can now mount a higher caliber of guns

Crew surrender is now reduced from 55% to 10%

Max tech budget is increased from 50% to 60%

Tech boost is now if tech is late by 2 years it's boosted 10x (please let me know if it doesn't seem to boost at all)

24-inch torpedoes do more damage now (Doubled what they could before)

Advanced propeller shaft III now offers double the turning speed than it had before

AI should counter players better (Heavily in the testing phase feedback is greatly appreciated)

Download here: https://dl.orangedox.com/GCoks0AXWDziFmz2PJ (PS. the download link automatically updates when I update the mod)

Edited by Sapphire

20 hours ago, Sapphire said:

Tech boost is now if tech is late by 2 years it's boosted 10x (please let me know if it doesn't seem to boost at all)

It appears that unfortunately this feature doesn't work

Current tech progression is something near 4% per turn, which is close to normal 1-5 which game uses in vanilla.

ex1.PNG

ex2.PNG

5 hours ago, Hussarball_PL said:

It appears that unfortunately this feature doesn't work

Current tech progression is something near 4% per turn, which is close to normal 1-5 which game uses in vanilla.

ex1.PNG

ex2.PNG

Hello, thanks for the report. Turns out the research speed wasn't updated from the old mod version. Just uploaded a patched version, the same download link. Shouldn't causes issues with campaign saves  Feel free to let me know if you notice any difference. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hussarball_PL said:

Hello again
I don't know why but research boost still doesn't work for me.
I'm playing on that old campaign and current progress is something near 5%, which is normal progress
P.S.
I forgot to mention in previous post but thank you for the hard work on this mod! :)

bug1correct.PNG

Bug2.jpg

After doing some testing on my own, seems like it doesn't do what I want it to. I'll look into it but for now, I'll just mark it as a bug. Also glad users are enjoying it 🙂

Edited by Sapphire
  • Like 1

Very nice mod, especially destroyers are now very fun... maybe even too much fun sometimes since all gun destroyers can easily kill battleships even 1 vs 1. Also great work on transports, this should be in the base game.

Would it be possible to address two things which i see as the major design miscalculations for vanilla game?

1. Big guns are basically unusable right now (above 380-406mm) with bad accuracy and loading times. Considering their huge weight is enough to belance them, it is really unreasonable to even further nerf them, so could you maybe bring them more in line so they would be alternative to 305-356mm?

2. For a game centered about free ship design, there is remarkably little freedom of design. Could you make some components weight less so to give more margin for funnier projects?

Edited by Vanhal
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vanhal said:

Very nice mod, especially destroyers are now very fun... maybe even too much fun sometimes since all gun destroyers can easily kill battleships even 1 vs 1. Also great work on transports, this should be in the base game.

Would it be possible to address two things which i see as the major design miscalculations for vanilla game?

1. Big guns are basically unusable right now (above 380-406mm) with bad accuracy and loading times. Considering their huge weight is enough to belance them, it is really unreasonable to even further nerf them, so could you maybe bring them more in line so they would be alternative to 305-356mm?

2. For a game centered about free ship design, there is remarkably little freedom of design. Could you make some components weight less so to give more margin for funnier projects?

Mass gun changes like that are quite hard as I don't really have IRL status to base it off. I've tried finding sources for it but haven't gotten much. As for weight, I suppose I could always reduce armor weight but changing everything would mess up the AI. 

On 9/23/2022 at 9:23 AM, Sapphire said:

I might enlarge the maximum caliber if users are interested in it.  I suppose I could increase the heavy cruiser to 15 and the light to 10. As for barbettes, I believe it would require editing the hull models, which is too risky with this upcoming update so close. As diameter changes, it's a known issue as the game gets a little funky with adding more diameter compared to the length 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm sorry that it took me so long to respond, also in between my responses I started to wonder. Would it be possible/feasible for you to add the Monitor, and Ironclad hulls to the campaign?

Navweapons.com has loading times and ranges for guns.  Nothing about accuracy, sadly, but I can try asking around.  For weight, the best thing you can do is slash tower weight dramatically.  There are massive knock-on effects from how heavy they are, especially with ship balance and stability from having one of the single heaviest objects on the ship positioned so high.  End-game BB towers, both main and secondary, will reach 3k, if not 5k in the case of the USA, once you start adding the necessary upgrades to them like radar, RDF, and acoustics.  In reality they would have been a thousand, max.  Slashing the weight increases those upgrades do to almost nothing would also be a massive help in that regard, and it would also be very historical considering how little weight they actually did take up.  Could balance by increasing the cost on them, especially radar and sonar, because those sets were top-end electronics for the time, never mind the fire control systems associated with radar gunnery.

Edited by SpardaSon21

2 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

Navweapons.com has loading times and ranges for guns.  Nothing about accuracy, sadly, but I can try asking around.  For weight, the best thing you can do is slash tower weight dramatically.  There are massive knock-on effects from how heavy they are, especially with ship balance and stability from having one of the single heaviest objects on the ship positioned so high.  End-game BB towers, both main and secondary, will reach 3k, if not 5k in the case of the USA, once you start adding the necessary upgrades to them like radar, RDF, and acoustics.  In reality they would have been a thousand, max.  Slashing the weight increases those upgrades do to almost nothing would also be a massive help in that regard, and it would also be very historical considering how little weight they actually did take up.  Could balance by increasing the cost on them, especially radar and sonar, because those sets were top-end electronics for the time, never mind the fire control systems associated with radar gunnery.

The game actually uses data from that website for ranges I believe. However, the link leads to a dead page so I can't see what they are using. I'll look at slashing tower weight for the next mod update. Below you can find the hit chance info. 

"formula for hit chance info:
* K - chance to hit at max range, very important, set values like from 0.005 to 0.03
* x - range ratio, 0 is point blank, 1 is max firing distance
* new formula: chance = K^(x^b)*C

Hm... I wonder how you made this mode.

Could you made a special edit where the gun length and diameter change is not possible aka +/-0? I dislike this feature and simply I want disabled it, because I don't think this works good.

'll try to write here. The mod is interesting, but sometimes it's worth limiting your creativity to reasonable limits. Well, for example, putting 305 mm on destroyers is already too much, a maximum of 150 mm. This is simply ugly from an aesthetic point of view, besides it can lead to a wild imbalance in the campaign. The length of the trunk should also be limited. It has been noticed that in campaigns AI tries to shorten its trunks almost to zero. It looks bad, I'll try to stick a screenshot. For myself, I mainly use an increase in caliber from 102 mm to say 150, it helps a lot to diversify the fleet of medium artillery. From the wishes, if possible, to make it possible to lengthen the hulls of small ships of the TD and TP type, but also within reasonable limits, by 20-25 percent.20221004051839_1.thumb.jpg.59f7e9956c26d591dc489d216ab07b71.jpg20221004051814_1.thumb.jpg.24795c5363da71b528076f4f908abc06.jpg

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, spinaker said:

'll try to write here. The mod is interesting, but sometimes it's worth limiting your creativity to reasonable limits. Well, for example, putting 305 mm on destroyers is already too much, a maximum of 150 mm. This is simply ugly from an aesthetic point of view, besides it can lead to a wild imbalance in the campaign. The length of the trunk should also be limited. It has been noticed that in campaigns AI tries to shorten its trunks almost to zero. It looks bad, I'll try to stick a screenshot. For myself, I mainly use an increase in caliber from 102 mm to say 150, it helps a lot to diversify the fleet of medium artillery. From the wishes, if possible, to make it possible to lengthen the hulls of small ships of the TD and TP type, but also within reasonable limits, by 20-25 percent.20221004051839_1.thumb.jpg.59f7e9956c26d591dc489d216ab07b71.jpg20221004051814_1.thumb.jpg.24795c5363da71b528076f4f908abc06.jpg

The ai randomly sets a length, sadly there isn't much I can do to set a range of lengths unless I change the limits which I'm already considering doing maybe from -50 to +50. As for the destroyer gun, the largest gun ever mounted on a DD was a 12-inch recoilless rifle which is why the DD max caliber is 12 inches. But, I may limit it to a 8 inches as that's the 2nd largest gun mounted on a DD and would be more reasonable.  

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:39 PM, Sapphire said:

As for the destroyer gun, the largest gun ever mounted on a DD was a 12-inch recoilless rifle which is why the DD max caliber is 12 inches. But, I may limit it to a 8 inches as that's the 2nd largest gun mounted on a DD and would be more reasonable.  

It's about as reasonable as running around with 38kn+ destroyers in 1910. The 8" was a testbed from the late 1970s, far from the scope of the game. The DD hulls we have in game struggled to handle guns in the 6-inch range, I'm all for more freedom in design but it is best to temper the more outlandish modifications for regular play.

Tweaking other adjustments such as crew surrender seems questionable as well, I doubt warships from the period could be combat effective with less than half the crew available and I'm curious as to your reasoning for up to 5 inches of armour on transports and the hilarious number of guns.

The changes to the shipyard and research tree however are much appreciated and definitive improvements over vanilla.

I am all for the 

14 hours ago, Suts said:

It's about as reasonable as running around with 38kn+ destroyers in 1910. The 8" was a testbed from the late 1970s, far from the scope of the game. The DD hulls we have in game struggled to handle guns in the 6-inch range, I'm all for more freedom in design but it is best to temper the more outlandish modifications for regular play.

Tweaking other adjustments such as crew surrender seems questionable as well, I doubt warships from the period could be combat effective with less than half the crew available and I'm curious as to your reasoning for up to 5 inches of armour on transports and the hilarious number of guns.

The changes to the shipyard and research tree however are much appreciated and definitive improvements over vanilla.

In fact i would love destroyers to mount 9 nich 😁 with Ca up to 17

Edited by Grayknight
Wrong number

On 10/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, Suts said:

The Ai doesn't make use of the DD gun changes from the 60+ auto designs I tested. It's up to the player to use them or not. As for the crew surrender I mainly did that to counter HE spam and to allow ships to fight longer. (Gotta go down with your ship). Transports needed a little love as they sunk way to easily I tried to make it so it could have 1-5 inches but the game defaults to 5 inches same thing applies with the guns.... I had to go with a high number to actually get guns to spawn somewhat commonly or the AI would only put 1 gun on them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 8:35 PM, Starfleet1701 said:

Is it possible to update the mod, after the latest update this mod doesn't work anymore

I'll be updating it before the end of this month. I'm waiting for the devs to further fix 1.9 as I don't want to need to update this mod each and every little bug fix 

• Like 2