Game-Labs Forum

Huge Ship Battles

KhalAl

Any enjoyment of the campaign so far has been significantly hampered by the AI insisting that I fight huge Jutland sized 100+ ship battles every time. Playing as Austro-Hungary starting from 1890, a few years in and Italy and Germany are already at war with France and then upon the next turn I'm also at war with France. No matter what I do with my fleet or where I put them, after trying the save multiple times and across different games as well, I'm immediately faced with an unavoidable battle against 80-90% of the entire French fleet, consisting of several battleships, 40+ cruisers, 20-30 torpedo boats etc. So, to have any chance of winning I need to field my entire navy. The result is an unwieldly lag fest with nearly 200 ships battling it out. The 100 or so ships on my side always start in some random jumble facing in all different directions crashing into each other, no organisation at all and some ships are as much as 20-30 km away from each other. The sheer scale makes the battle and all the micromanagement a chore. Also, I find that the AI constantly runs away from battle, most of the time I never see a single shot fired or even see the enemy ships as they vanish off into the distance, which can be particularly annoying, especially when dealing with slower ships from the 1890s.

I am finding it necessary to Auto Resolve battles above a certain size, because I can't manage mote than about 12 ships.

My AI sends my battleships out of combat, while having my TBs and DDs charge recklessly into battle.  The TBs and DDs do not loose their torpedoes, they just get slaughtered.

More work is needed.  But I like what I've seen so far.  

2 hours ago, Hardlec said:

I am finding it necessary to Auto Resolve battles above a certain size, because I can't manage mote than about 12 ships.

My AI sends my battleships out of combat, while having my TBs and DDs charge recklessly into battle.  The TBs and DDs do not loose their torpedoes, they just get slaughtered.

More work is needed.  But I like what I've seen so far.  

To somewhat solve the BB's (or whatever your main combat line is) out of control, turn off their collision avoidance. It ensures that DDs avoids BBs and BBs don't avoid DDs.