Game-Labs Forum

Current Repair system adjustment

My proposal is that the current options be modified to the following.

(I should point out this is only to modify the current simple method we are using during testing, not as a final proposal for game release)

All repairs take longer to complete. (Double the time)

Repairs not used when the ship is in Survival mode produce only 50% effect

Unrated: Yachts, Lynx's, Cutters, Privateers, Brigs, Navy Brig, Snow get 1 repair patch

Frigates get 2 repair patches

All Sols get 3 repair patches.

Optional 1st Rates get 4

My concern is that ships are fully repairing from a shattered hull back to full health, or completely dismasted to all masts repaired, when really only emergency measures should be possible mid battle.

What are your thoughts guys

Edited by Crankey
  • Like 3

There have already been discussions on the repair system. It's a polarized argument caught between people who wish to keep the repair kit and improve on it, and those who want to remove it all together to make way for an entirely new repair system, more realistic/effective for open world. I'm partial to option two myself.

• Like 2

There have already been discussions on the repair system. It's a polarized argument caught between people who wish to keep the repair kit and improve on it, and those who want to remove it all together to make way for an entirely new repair system, more realistic/effective for open world. I'm partial to option two myself.

I agree, I would love to have a more 'realistic' system.

However we currently don't have one so my post is designed to tweak the current system in a simple (Less developer time required) format for the time being while we are still in the arena test stages.  (I should have made that clearer in my opening post)

I see the concern many of you raise... the proper consequence of getting severely damaged is not strong enough.  In reality they would be planking from the inside and leaks would persist.

Consideration:  If you are damaged to x% in one of the 4 armor areas you are permanently limited to x+y% as a maximum repair level.  x and y will both depend on which of the 4 armor areas, the number of repairs used, the ship class, and possibly more.

For example, you are damaged to 20% starboard and are permanently limited to 50% on the starboard armor.  If you only got damaged to 50%, you could have repaired to 100%.

Is this any help with the issue?

• Like 1

so.. the bigger hips shall not only be better in armor and armament.. no he shall be a lot better in surviving in the battle?

This game is not about kicking the puppies asses even easier.. It shall be a challenge for everyone. Wich you reduce a LOT by removing repairs to smaller vessels.

If you know what your doing a repair is not going to save your enemy.

• Like 1

I don't agree with giving less repair kits to smaller ships would be fair, I think it would shrink the battle time a lot and give an unfair advantage to larger ships in the open world. Three repair kits are fine by me (perhaps give a couple more to the smaller ships when they enter the open world), when your armor drops at 1/3 you can use two and be up and running again plus having one to spare for other repairs gives you some peace of mind.

What I'd like to see so far is two things:

• Give the repairs a flat 0% in time required to finish them when in Sail stance, -10% time when in Gunnery stance and 15% (perhaps 20% ?!) increased speed when in Survival stance with an additional 2%-5% increased effectiveness of the repair.(eg: if one repair repairs 100 HP, in Survival you get 102 - 105 HP)

• Been able to chose what type of repair supplies you want. For example you want more wooden planks/metal sheets, tar and rope to patch holes or you want more cloth and ropes for your sails. That would affect the effectiveness of the repair.

I don't agree with giving less repair kits to smaller ships would be fair, I think it would shrink the battle time a lot and give an unfair advantage to larger ships in the open world. Three repair kits are fine by me (perhaps give a couple more to the smaller ships when they enter the open world), when your armor drops at 1/3 you can use two and be up and running again plus having one to spare for other repairs gives you some peace of mind.

What I'd like to see so far is two things:

• Give the repairs a flat 0% in time required to finish them when in Sail stance, -10% time when in Gunnery stance and 15% (perhaps 20% ?!) increased speed when in Survival stance with an additional 2%-5% increased effectiveness of the repair.(eg: if one repair repairs 100 HP, in Survival you get 102 - 105 HP)

• Been able to chose what type of repair supplies you want. For example you want more wooden planks/metal sheets, tar and rope to patch holes or you want more cloth and ropes for your sails. That would affect the effectiveness of the repair.

Thanks for the reply but just to be clear, this isn't about the Open World game. Only the current Alpha arena testing system

My concern is that ships are fully repairing from a shattered hull back to full health, or completely dismasted to all masts repaired, when really only emergency measures should be possible mid battle.

this is my biggest concern atm. a ship will be on the tiniest of slithers of health, and unless you sit there for another 5 minutes waiting for it to sink it will return to full health in a matter of minutes. and if you ignore them, they end up on your tail back shooting you freely again.

also the differences between sailing, gunnery and survival seem to be relatively slim. as i end up sailing 90% of the time in survival mode due to leaks and faulty pumps( there is another thread on that topic somewhere) anyways, i think especially survival mode needs to be made harder to sail your ship and double that if you are repairing. surely there would be panic onboard with major leaks, masts broken ect ect.

just my two cents from my short time here.

I think the current system is fine for testing, since there is no running away.

In open world, a smaller ship would hang every stitch of sail and make for the shallows if a larger ship was gunning for it, Not try and duke it out unless the larger ship was very close to death itself from previous engagements. In that sort of scenario, i can see limiting repair effectiveness of smaller ships due to less crew and less space to store repair supplies. But for the test I say leave it as is for now. More fun for everyone, and longer fights = more time to study the mechanics and come up with suggestions for improvement/nerfs.

Well, large ships definately can carry more supplies than smaller ships. However, it should also be noted that it takes a lot more time and effort to repair the main mast (or even the mizzen) of a ship of the line than it would on a brig. So, if you want things differentiated, then larger ships would require way more time to carry out their repairs. Sure, they can plug holes during battle, but they won't be able to do anything major until they find themselves the time to do so.

~Brigand

After watching a couple of WOWs videos I think they may have a good system. On the battleships they have a repair option. Which in that game repairs X number of hit points when used. Its also on a  cooldown timer which increases as you use it. Its supposed to represent a repair crew going about its work. A similar system could be used here but instead of hit points being repaired it could be used to repair the ships as happens now. With what is repaired first being a tweekable option in the pre game menu for any ship. Obviously bigger ships can repair more due to bigger crews and more stuff being carried to repair things

Well, large ships definately can carry more supplies than smaller ships. However, it should also be noted that it takes a lot more time and effort to repair the main mast (or even the mizzen) of a ship of the line than it would on a brig. So, if you want things differentiated, then larger ships would require way more time to carry out their repairs. Sure, they can plug holes during battle, but they won't be able to do anything major until they find themselves the time to do so.

~Brigand

I have no idea but is it even realistic that any ship would be able to repair a snapped off mast during an engagement? To me this seems like a task that would take a day or two at the least but again I have no idea.

I have no idea but is it even realistic that any ship would be able to repair a snapped off mast during an engagement? To me this seems like a task that would take a day or two at the least but again I have no idea.

I've never read any reference to any captain attempting such an operation during an engagement. It seems to have taken a fair stretch of good weather to even attempt it, without any enemy ships nearby.

Replacing a top mast for example takes an awful lot of work: special hoisting ropes need to be put in place, rigging removed to make room for the spar to be taken from the spar deck and then to be manoeuvred around while being suspended by the other masts, then this tree sized piece of wood needed to be secured, all the yard made fast again, all the other rigging put in place, sails brought up etc, etc. During this entire time, your ship would hardly be able to manoeuvre at all, and most have just enough sails set to keep her stable.

Now image doing all that while also having to man your gun decks and worry about incoming iron balls weighting 24 pounds a piece. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Cheers,

Brigand

I've never read any reference to any captain attempting such an operation during an engagement. It seems to have taken a fair stretch of good weather to even attempt it, without any enemy ships nearby.

Replacing a top mast for example takes an awful lot of work: special hoisting ropes need to be put in place, rigging removed to make room for the spar to be taken from the spar deck and then to be manoeuvred around while being suspended by the other masts, then this tree sized piece of wood needed to be secured, all the yard made fast again, all the other rigging put in place, sails brought up etc, etc. During this entire time, your ship would hardly be able to manoeuvre at all, and most have just enough sails set to keep her stable.

Now image doing all that while also having to man your gun decks and worry about incoming iron balls weighting 24 pounds a piece. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Cheers,

Brigand

+1  This is a pet peeve of mine (fingers crossed the repair kit system is radically changed for OW). The majority of rigging repairs during battle should be limited to splicing sail control lines or jury rigging a sail here and there. Even then look at the example of Constitution v Java. Constitution sailed a distance off to make repairs to her rigging before moving back into a raking position to accept the surrender.  However when she collided with her sister ship President she had to put into port to fix her damaged bow and bowsprit. Currently you can magically fix a snapped bowsprit if you choose to repair your rigging. Similarly before the Nile the British fleet was caught in a storm and Nelson's flagship HMS Vanguard lost her top masts. Nelson had to put into port to repair the damage.

As noted above ships routinely sent up and down t'gallant masts, royals and even top masts, especially before a storm, but not an operation to undertake in the middle of battle. Replacing sails (bending on sail) also can be a large operation depending on the sail.   I have done this and you basically get 5-10 sailors out on the yard, plus a deck crew to send up the sail. Not bad if you are not also trying to fire guns and maneuver the ship!

I think the question is "what should repair be balanced against".

POTBS balanced it against 6v6 fights, which meant that 1v1 fights took a really long time to complete. The entire battle was all about trying to overcome the other guy's rather impressive ability to repair his ship in combat.

In 6v6 it was more of a "hide behind your mates, patch things up quick and get back in it, a bit worse for wear". It was balanced for this.

In 24v24, repairs were a very minor factor since focused fire could easily overwhelm repairs anyway.

I would like to suggest we balance it for 1v1.

Meaning repairs are very slow and very weak and play a "moderate" role in 1v1 fighting. In a 2v2 or 3v3 they can be useful if you can back off and get a breather but they're not going to do much against focused fire from 2 or more ships.

In larger group fights, therefore, repairs will be sort of a minor thing that you can sometimes get use out of but which generally are not a factor. If you can peel away from the fight and spend some time alone you can patch yourself up but this isn't meant to be quick or easy.

• 4 weeks later...

After watching a couple of WOWs videos I think they may have a good system. On the battleships they have a repair option. Which in that game repairs X number of hit points when used. Its also on a  cooldown timer which increases as you use it. Its supposed to represent a repair crew going about its work. A similar system could be used here but instead of hit points being repaired it could be used to repair the ships as happens now. With what is repaired first being a tweekable option in the pre game menu for any ship. Obviously bigger ships can repair more due to bigger crews and more stuff being carried to repair things

I don't actually like it, and many agree. It's just too... magical. Doesn't seem to fit in as no other ship classes can do it, and it is a bit unfair. Ships don't just repair that easily, even if time is compressed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why not throw in sliders for filling cargo space with materials aka; wood, nails, sail material, etc... so that we aren't repairing off the silly repair system but off of the raw supplies our ship can carry (plus whatever cargo we can hold in open world).

Just my 2 cents.

Repairs solve one very important purpose: they allow you to make a mistake and recover, learning as a result. 

Even very hardcore games have some sort of repairs implemented. Without them the game will be extremely hostile to new players and will be deserted.

How they work and how they repair can be further improved. 

Other threads have talked about options, but I still support repair as a crew focus option, perhaps as a new skill or tied in with survival. Total repairs are limited only by repair supplies that are available on board and crew numbers.  This seems realistic, and interesting for gameplay.  It would need working and testing obviously.  It would also be realistic to have very minor repairing going on while in the midst of fighting if supplies and crew are available.  There would be an effort to plug holes and such going on even while under fire.