Game-Labs Forum

Multiple Calibers for Secondaries

Skeksis

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have different calibers for secondaries. 2 should be the norm.

So maybe we could have tech for this.

1890 -

• none.

1905 Independent Fire Control I

• +2 Calibers for Secondaries (no penalties for 2 secondaries calibers),
  • -25% Multiple Secondaries Calibers Penalties (all secondaries).

1920 Independent Fire Control II

• -25% Multiple Secondaries Calibers Penalties.

1935 Independent Fire Control III

• -25% Multiple Main Calibers Penalties (all mains).

Actual names & values by Dev's.

While historically it’s not accepted for mains, the game is founded in the “What IF” and so it should be open to alternative designs. At least for secondaries, 2 calibers is historical and the game should definitely be open to such designs.

Also multiple secondaries penalties is not very clear to most players, it’s a hidden penalty and not intuitive at all. Actually it’s very hard for players to realize such penalties. If info is posted by Dev’s or by helpful players, it's not guarantee others will ever see such posts. In-game tech would be intuitive too.

Edited by Skeksis

59 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have different calibers for secondaries. 2 should be the norm.

So maybe we could have tech for this.

1890 -

• none.

1905 Independent Fire Control I

• +2 Calibers for Secondaries (no penalties for 2 secondaries calibers),
  • -25% Multiple Secondaries Calibers Penalties (all secondaries).

1920 Independent Fire Control II

• -25% Multiple Secondaries Calibers Penalties.

1935 Independent Fire Control III

• -25% Multiple Main Calibers Penalties (all mains).

Actual names & values by Dev's.

While historically it’s not accepted for mains, the game is founded in the “What IF” and so should be open to alternative designs. But for secondaries, 2 calibers is historical and the game should definitely be open to such designs.

Also multiple secondaries penalties is not very clear to most players, it’s a hidden penalty and not intuitive at all. Actually it’s very hard for players to realize such penalties. If info is posted by Dev’s or by helpful players, it's not guarantee others will ever see such posts. In-game tech would be intuitive.

"While historically it’s not accepted for mains, the game is founded in the “What IF” and so should be open to alternative designs." - not just that but if you make a ship like the King george V class with quad and dual 14inch guns you get the penalty as well

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Danz_Von_Luck said:

not just that but if you make a ship like the King george V class with quad and dual 14inch guns you get the penalty as well

Good point. Tech options, that come with a cost, would handle unique situations.

Maybe if the AI had max caliber tech too, i.e. conditions, it could sort or streamline its builds...

16ih43M.png

Like some AI ghost techs:

1885 Independent Fire Control AI-0

•  +2 to the number of main calibers (at 1885 +2 is from 0).
  •  +2 to the number of secondaries calibers.

PS, and I suggest another condition of, if base caliber equals then adjustment equals. e.g. if 4" then adjustment 4.5, so all 4" will be 4.5 and not 4.5 and 4.1s, as shown above. 

Edited by Skeksis