Game-Labs Forum

Enemy DD accuracy issues

Halcion

Currently playing in the 30’s or so in the campaign. The AI has discovered high speed DD’s and CL’s. I understand small moving ships at long range being hard to hit. HOWEVER, at ranges less than 2km I think the accuracy should be better than sub 2%.

I have seen “maneuvers” lower accuracy as much as 93%. This is in addition to “small target” and “fast speed” reducing it almost as much. These are still 1400 ton+ ships going 35+ knots. Not VW bugs going 80 performing evasive maneuvers. I’ve had battles where my ships would almost expend all ammunition hunting DD’s down.

Situations usually involve initially undamaged friendly ships in decent weather with good tech ratings.

I pretty much decline fighting AI DD’s whenever possible. Not because they’re dangerous, just ultra annoying and horrendous to play against.

Is this a bug? Or the game going as intended?

Right now, it's working as intended I believe; however, I do agree 100% that there needs to be some changes made.

The problem SEEMS to be that the game uses a single Accuracy stat and a single Aiming stat.  I'm not 100% sure on this, just my observations.  The problem is that when you're dealing with a small, fast, maneuvering target, the aiming stat takes a nosedive; which in turn makes your accuracy very poor, causing shells to go wild all over the place.

As-is, it's a balance issue since one good hit on a DD with a large caliber gun will either kill it outright or disable it (which makes killing it much easier), but it is REALLY annoying to see your shots going wild at a target 1 km away (it's RIGHT THERE, just SHOOT IT ALREADY!)

I would suggest the game designers look at a couple of ways to improve this to make it more realistic:

• Remove Aiming Speed stat and introduce two stats:
    • Range-Estimation:
      • Improved with crew skill, rangefinders, towers, etc.
      • Greatly improved with Radar fire control.
      • Easier on larger targets.
      • Reduced somewhat by targets maneuvering.
      • Improved with each salvo fired successively at a target.
      • Easier at close range.
      • Harder at night or foggy/cloudy weather.
    • Tracking:
      • Improved with rangefinders, radar, etc.
      • Greatly improved with crew skill and turret rotation techs.
      • Harder on small, fast-moving targets. Reduced by target maneuvering.
      • Improved with each salvo fired successively at a target.
      • Harder with long, heavy guns, easier with short, quick-firing guns.
      • Harder at night or foggy/cloudy weather.

• Remove Accuracy stat and replace with Precision, which reduces the Dispersion of a gun: how much each shell will disperse from the point of aim.
    • Decreased Precision with multiple barrel turrets, and improved with turret techs.
    • Improved Precision with gun techs.
    • Greatly improved Precision with a new stat: Muzzle Velocity Consistency (see below).
    • Improved Precision with hull form, pitch, roll, etc: more stable shooting platform = better dispersion.
    • Precision reduced by sea state, and wind conditions.

• Remove Long Range Accuracy stat. The following statistics will effect long range vs. short range precision:
    • Shell Aerodynamics, and Shell Weight will improve long range precision:
      • As a projectile moves from supersonic to subsonic, it hits it's own shockwave and destabilizes. 
      • Heavier, and more aerodynamic shells will maintain supersonic flight longer, and pass through transonic more easily.
      • When a shell is fired at a range where it spends more time in subsonic flight, it's Dispersion will increase significantly.
    • Shell Weight and Muzzle Velocity:
      • Lighter shells will be more precise at close range, and heavier shells will be more precise at longer ranges.
        • Lighter shells fire at a higher Muzzle Velocity, but lose that velocity more quickly.
        • Heavier shells fire at a slower Muzzle Velocity, but retain their velocity for longer as they are more aerodynamic.
      • Barrell length and shell technology will improve muzzle velocity and velocity retention.
        • Improved shell technology will lead to aerodynamic breakthroughs, causing them to retain their velocity longer.
        • Barrel length will increase Muzzle Velocity.
      • Explosives tech (and explosive selection) will increase Muzzle Velocity.

• Muzzle Velocity Consistency greatly increases Precision:
    • The more consistently the shell leaves the muzzle, the better we can estimate it's point of impact.
    • More advanced powders burn more consistently.
    • Improved somewhat with crew skill: crews load and pack powder more consistently.
  • Introduce ReducedStandard, or Super powder charges in combat.  This does exactly what you'd think:
    • Reduced powder charge means better Muzzle Velocity Consistency, greatly increasing precision but lowering muzzle velocity.  Use for close range targets with light armor where you don't need the velocity or penetration, and want precision. You also get a bonus to fire resistance since you're loading less powder at a time into each gun.
    • The opposite is true for super powder charges.  You'll get better penetration and muzzle velocity from your guns, but at the expense of Muzzle Velocity Consistency.  Shells are more likely to go wild, and your flash fire chance increases somewhat as more powder is in transit.

• Like 2