Game-Labs Forum

too many harbors

Pizzafighter

Hello guys,

Out of curiosity I just looked up, wich naval ports germany once had and so i found out, that in the game there are, as far as I could find out, some harbors, wich weren't naval harbors at all in this timeframe.

Emden: got its naval harbor in the post war era
Bremen: Bremen itself hadn't had a naval harbor. There was a naval harbor north of Bremen in the town "Wesermünde", wich is only part of the city of Bremen since 1947 and since then also called "Bremerhaven"
Hamburg: never had a naval port
Danzig: well, it kind of had somethingh like a naval port, but nothingh too big, it was more the city "Gotenhafen" north of Danzig wich had the port

So it is nothingh too big, but maybe a small detail wich could be improved.
So instead of Bremen you could place it a little bit to the north next to Wilhelmshaven and call it Wesermünde or, because they were so close together, you could double the size of Wilhelmshaven and delete Bremen
Emden should be deleted completely, maybe replaced with a small harbor in Cuxhaven, but nothingh big (similar to Helgoland)
Danzig could be moved a small bit to the north and called Gotenhafen
Hamburg should be removed completely

but there are also some important harbors wich are missing:
Warnemünde near Rostock had a big naval port
Swinemünde, wich is on the german/polish border also had a big naval port.

Sure, this would mean, that there are fewer ports in ne north sea for germany, wich is also a big disadvantage, at least as long as russia won't get added, but history is like history is.

I don't know, how it is with other nations, but I could imagine, it is kind of the same, so maybe people, who knows could answer it here and maybe it gets corrected ;)

NAVAL BASES

Marinestützpunkt Cuxhaven

Marinestützpunkt Pillau

Marinestützpunkt Helgoland

Marinestützpunkt Danzig-Neufahrwasser

Marinestützpunkt Swinemünde

Reichshafen Kiel

Reichshafen Wilhelmshaven 

SHIPYARDS

Danzig: Kaiserliche Werft Danzig

Kiel: Kaiserliche Werft Kiel

Wilhelmshaven: Kaiserliche Werft Wilhelmshaven

Emden: Nordseewerke

Hamburg: Blohm+Voss

Bremen: Bremer Vulkan

Bremen: AG Weser

Missing

Stettin: AG Vulkan Stettin

Rostock: Neptun Werft

Elbing: Schichau Werke

Edited by ZorinW

In metropolitan France, the 2 main naval harbors are Brest and Toulon. Cherbourg is a smaller one. 
Le Havre and Marseille are great commercial harbors, without naval bases. 
La Rochelle was a naval harbor in older times. I'm sure it still have a naval activity during 19th century (same as Dunkerque). 
Nice isn't also a naval harbor. The harbor is quite small. When warships come to Nice, they anchor
in Villefranche bay. There are losts of postcards of warships anchored in this bay. For example:
Hoche-colorized-irootokoJR.jpg
Another one:
https://servimg.com/view/15825815/4024
But this bay is quite small too. When an US carrier comes to Nice, she anchors in Cannes Bay, between coast and Lerins islands. 

So, according to my knowledge, a french players should be able to:
- anchor ships in Dunkerque, Le Havre, Cherbourg, Brest, Nantes/Saint-Nazaire, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Marseille, Toulon, Nice
- build and repair in Brest, Toulon, and maybe in Nantes/Saint-Nazaire and Cherbourg.
This is for metropolitan France. For ex-colonies, I need to do some researchs.

Edited by Lastreaumont
correcting some mistakes

10 hours ago, ZorinW said:

NAVAL BASES

Marinestützpunkt Cuxhaven

Marinestützpunkt Pillau

Marinestützpunkt Helgoland

Marinestützpunkt Danzig-Neufahrwasser

Marinestützpunkt Swinemünde

Reichshafen Kiel

Reichshafen Wilhelmshaven 

SHIPYARDS

Danzig: Kaiserliche Werft Danzig

Kiel: Kaiserliche Werft Kiel

Wilhelmshaven: Kaiserliche Werft Wilhelmshaven

Emden: Nordseewerke

Hamburg: Blohm+Voss

Bremen: Bremer Vulkan

Bremen: AG Weser

Missing

Stettin: AG Vulkan Stettin

Rostock: Neptun Werft

Elbing: Schichau Werke

I didn't mention some of them because as far as I saw, they were quiet small (for example Danzig) but yes, they existed, you're right.

With the Shipyards you mentioned, it could be an interesting mechanic to add this in the game, so that you only have a special amount of ships you can build in the same time and that it maybe also have only a limited capacity for repairings

Edited by Pizzafighter

1 hour ago, Pizzafighter said:

I didn't mention some of them because as far as I saw, they were quiet small (for example Danzig) but yes, they existed, you're right.

With the Shipyards you mentioned, it could be an interesting mechanic to add this in the game, so that you only have a special amount of ships you can build in the same time and that it maybe also have only a limited capacity for repairings

Yes, I would also like to see a split into naval bases and shipyards.