Game-Labs Forum

HE is too good, please nerf

Stealth17

I've been doing testing with high explosive and I've been finding it too effective. In my opinion it deserves a nerf. 

HE is always more effective: it does more damage than AP. Sometimes I get pens and flooding with HE whereas AP just bounces off, even when I'm running the highest end AP type on massive guns. 

Even a destroyer can kill a battleship with HE, so long as you give it all the bonuses to HE fire chance, or even just enough time to kill the BB's crew. 

This is making the game a set-and-forget game for me: I can tell my destroyer to just stay with the enemy and HE spam it. If I use a destroyer that's small and fast I can just go AFK and I know I will win. It requires 0 skill or strategy. 

Please, nerf HE. Make AP more important. Make angling and positioning mean something. 

If I wanted braindead HE spam I'd play World of Warships.

- Stealth

• Like 4

I think the problem is not with HE as with HE, but with: accuracy, penetration (for some reasons the penetration is more random), belt/deck proportions of hits, the difficult of making good ship with AP shells. 

Try 12,9" gun with +5% long barrel Capped-Ballistic I, example 1890-1910, Cordite I, Heavy Shells. You will have a lot of deck pen if you will keep distance 9km. Only the main guns are usually able to penetrate the enemy, small must firing the HE. 

Destroyers, 2.9" and 8.9" are simply broken from my perspective. But 2.9" and 8.9" have trouble with penetrating BB, that is why HE is welcome. Also if DD are too strong, that means another buff for HE. 

Also for some reasons if you are able penetrating example 30" of armor the 25-35" can, but not necessary can block it. This logic is true also for small guns and small amount of armor example if you can pen 0,6" of armor that means you can pen anything around 0.1"-1.1" of armor depends on luck? :D 

Additional is important to penetrate, but not over doing it. If the enemy have 10" of armor on angle 45 you want around 11-12" of penetration, no more no less. That is why building the ship what base on AP is hard.  

Maybe nerfing HE is okay, but hard to tell when the rest of the game is not balanced. In 1.06.19 I building only DD and usually 3 DD was able to sunk 1 BB, for 5 battles like that usually 1-2 DD sunk for the cost of 5 BB, CA and lighter was not able to sunk even one DD, sometimes 2 DD was enough. Now is little better... 

@Stealth17Try using the highest possible AP type. if you cant penetrate, yeah HE will do more. if you hit something really thin, then yes HE will again do more. But my guess is that you don't have enough AP pen, because armor values are absolutely bonkers. go play a round with the highest AP possible. You're still going to overpen the extremities, but you will penetrate the belt within reason.

Dev’s have increased fire chance between 1905-1925 for v1.06, this is intended. Created a weakness. 

The AI does design with less bulkheads and which contributes to more fire spread. Maybe AI needs to prioritize bulkheads alittle more. 

Plus tactically, if you nerf HE or fire spread, fire chance, then the DPM goes down, ships will take longer to destroy, ultimately giving 'lighter/cheaper' torpedo charging ships longer life, i.e. indirectly buffing torpedo’s. Giving stealth DDs a huge buff too!. You yourself use torpedo’s heavily, stack BBs even. Players can run a campaign on TBs alone. Light or cheap ships need their weaknesses.

Edited by Skeksis

I've found that it's possible to overwhelm the early ships with a combination of the highest HE chance and the picric acid shells, combine that with the fact that sometimes these shells are still capable of penetrating the superstructure of a ship you can get both enormous HE damage and structural damage. But I can't be sure it's the fire chance, the AI ship construction style, or any issues around penetration chances. 

• Thanks 1

yea I ran into this myself, I was fighting my CA's well designed 1900 designed ship vs germany's. I was rocking 2x2 9.2in guns and side 2in/5in gun layout, but only 4 2in per side with 4 5in per side. Germany's heavy on the other hand packed 2x6in with a litteral spam of 3in HE. My belt was 8in thick, inner belt 2in, deck 2in, inner deck 1in. I died to his CA, and it was my 3 vs his 1, and he beat all 3 via HE spam.