Game-Labs Forum

Hello there Captains and hopefully developers!

After playing for some for two weeks im loving the game. 

Sometimes when in close combat i really wonna have a battle view as seen on the picture below, not so much for pression firing, but for being for aware of what going on around me. The way i too controll the camera now is alright, i like it when shooting far away, but when i got ships on both side and maybe front and back, i would like not to press right all the time to change cannon side and zooming in and out while the iron ball fly around, but just using the mouse to look around and fire.

DbCvKIY.jpg

The way you could controll this is kinda the same as now just without the rigth clicking all the time.

The white lines in the water is the same and if the aiming bar is green you can fire the way, but if it turn red you cant turn your cannons that much. And firing whould be the same, space for one ball, left click for the whole side. the way you change side would be simply looking the other way. It might even work for firing forward and backwards too

GG6sKqY.jpg

xHsixv1.png

Some ship like the Surprise hav a mast right in the front view, so if you could slide the camera just a bit form side to side with the 

arrow keys,

PSHiOzm.jpg

Slide to the side 

l5sYYSr.png

More random pics for flavor taster

cpuYK2E.jpg

Lihnnvo.jpg

And of curse if the rutter turn too, that whould be great, hope you like my suggeston

EDIT : i just got a big ship (the bellona) , and found out that the rutter in in a very bad place for a good over view, but i could imagion standing on the quarterdeck insted and looking out

OFPhUtz.jpg

Edited by mortenlnielsen
  • Like 6

I would hope that they would finalize the ballistics, damage model and open world gameplay + bring in around 30 new ships. After those steps, this would definitely be on my top 10 gameplay improvement list.

Edited by SirWili

I would hope that they would finalize the ballistics, damage model and open world gameplay + bring in around 30 new ships. After those steps, this would definitely be on my top 10 gameplay improvement list.

Pretty much this, I was kinda surprised to see no other fps camera views for the ships. Im glad that they added freelook abd third person though. 

I think you guys underestimate the importance of this.

Or not importance perse, just that camera and perspective are a fundamental part of core gameplay. It's the sort of stuff you should get nailed down early, and not be tinkering with in the middle of development.

Because of the lackluster view modes we have now, players spend half of their time as a disembodied floating head in gunnery mode. And the other half is on maximum zoom, awkwardly trying to swivel the camera around your own vessel to see where the enemy is. A masthead view would be infinitely superior to the latter perspective, and very immersive. And with ghost sails, a fighting top position is better than the zoomed-out view we have now.

The developers initially wanted to restrict the camera to the vessel, with no isometric PotBS-style perspective, and I wish they had stuck to their guns. It's probably late for that, but they can still deliver viable alternatives to those who care about immersion.

• Like 1

i think we promised better camera controls before..

we will start working on those probably during the early access on steam. We can provide the tool to position cameras as captain desire.

shortcuts of course will be implemented.. but the guy who can make the cameras is busy with fires and explosions

The developers initially wanted to restrict the camera to the vessel, with no isometric PotBS-style perspective, and I wish they had stuck to their guns. It's probably late for that, but they can still deliver viable alternatives to those who care about immersion.

we still hold this position - that on deck view provides the best immersion. but during tests people were crying for increased camera heights.

Anyways it is still a sea trial and even in early access we would be wiling to experiment with this. but first we will fix other things that are lacking

• Like 7

May I make a small observation?

During battle the commander was not at the wheel.  He was usually on the windward side of the Quarterdeck.  The Commander might take the wheel for a moment if they wanted to feel how the ship was sailing, but other than that, they generally didn't conn the ship themselves.  While I'm at it, I'm not sure you steer standing at the center of the wheel, you'd be off to one side or the other (I could be wrong on that).  So, If you're going to make a "first person" commander camera, put it on the windward side of the Quarterdeck.  :)

I also really like Maturin's suggestion for masthead and fighting top cameras.  I'd even take those instead of the zoomed out above the ship mode.

• Like 2

If you do experiment with a much closer view I would somehow restrict feedback from testers on the topic until they get 25-50 battles with it. Otherwise, the knee-jerk reaction would really skew the feedback as it would be a large adjustment for most. I can only imagine the amount of accidental ramming in the beginning.

• Like 3

May I make a small observation?

During battle the commander was not at the wheel.  He was usually on the windward side of the Quarterdeck.  The Commander might take the wheel for a moment if they wanted to feel how the ship was sailing, but other than that, they generally didn't conn the ship themselves.  While I'm at it, I'm not sure you steer standing at the center of the wheel, you'd be off to one side or the other (I could be wrong on that).  So, If you're going to make a "first person" commander camera, put it on the windward side of the Quarterdeck.   :)

I also really like Maturin's suggestion for masthead and fighting top cameras.  I'd even take those instead of the zoomed out above the ship mode.

I agree, having it at the wheel makes it gamey like AC4 BF

I know it the mateys place to hold the wheel, thats why i title it Close battle view. I just would like sometin diffcerent, to varriat the way of shooting .

I agree that a view form the Quarterdeck would be cool to, and specially when you cant stand behind the wheel in the big ones. Or you can. But you cant see

anything. as see on the last picture in the top. 

i could imagion standing as captain on the captains deck, but then put an likk man holding the whel atlast, it looks stupid no one is there and 

a ghost is just controlling it,

But ship like the lynx and cutter and other smaller ship, could be cool to controll form the wheel since it has no Quarterdeck :)

Edited by mortenlnielsen

If you do experiment with a much closer view I would somehow restrict feedback from testers on the topic until they get 25-50 battles with it. Otherwise, the knee-jerk reaction would really skew the feedback as it would be a large adjustment for most. I can only imagine the amount of accidental ramming in the beginning.

This is true but you have my vote for limited deck view...after the fires and explosions of course!

• Like 1

Even the smallest rowboat had a spot that was the Commanding Officer's to claim.  Ships without a Quarterdeck even had an invisible "line" past which only Officers and those with immediate duties could pass.

Well i didnt know that.

But it not so much that the view has to be behind the wheel, but more like i really want a more flouid way of shooting cannons in close combat. 

where i can see the whole without having to zoom in and out all the time, to see whats around me

And that Captain claim sounds just like the thing i wonna see.

Edited by mortenlnielsen

I'm glad to hear the devs prefer these kinds of immersive, first person views, and am glad to hear they will work on them as they have the manpower.  I would very much prefer such views to the overhead or floating head views we have now, and agree with Leviathan that once implemented, it will take time for gamers used to 3rd-person for situational awareness to adjust.  I believe that once they do, they will appreciate not only the realism but the tactical advantage provided (by something like a masthead view the good doctor proposes).  I'm adding nothing new to the conversation, except a hearty "I agree" and hope for this in the future.  

Edited by Tom Pullings
  • Like 1

we still hold this position - that on deck view provides the best immersion. but during tests people were crying for increased camera heights.

I remember people crying for a zoomed out view. The main argumantion for this was that people liked to see the beautifully modelled ships. The Open World did not exist yet.

Since the Open World will be arriving soon. We could change the perspective in the battle instances could be locked to the ship (gun deck, quarter deck, masthead, etc) and in the Open World, the perspective could allow (but also support deck views) for the current zoomed out view we now have in the arena testing.

Cheers,

Brigand

I prefer my camera at deck height personally. I think it actually enhances situational awareness once you are used to it. However, it does have some problems in the storm instances with smaller ships. Sometimes your ship dips low and it messes with your ability to look around.

However, the only thing that really bothers me is the raised bow chaser aiming view. Guns should be aimed from the same relative height (i.e. distance between upper most gun and camera).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The chaser aiming drives me nuts.  I'm finally getting good at estimating the elevation needed to hit a target where I want with the least number of ranging shots, and now that I have chasers on my boats, it's back to being confusing.  I understand the pitch of the boat (which shouldn't generally affect their aim as much as the roll of the regular broadside) can have an effect on aiming, but I always need to aim much higher than I feel I should.  This is extremely frustrating when I only have 2-4 chasers to use before waiting on reloads.  Making the aiming the same as the broadsides would improve accuracy for these guns that were often crewed by some of the better gun crews in the ship.

Definitely +1 on this idea. The game really does need a first person view from the Helm before it goes to Open World. I would also

love to see more realistic numbers of crew rather than just a representation.

Also would love to see damage to rigging displayed (rigging not masts since mast dmg already shows). ie hanging ropes

etc as in something like Master and Commander

Neon

• Like 1