Game-Labs Forum

Making refitting less tedious

Sandermatt

Currently refitting a ship requires taking it back to port, refitting it and then setting it out on sea again. I think it would be a good quality of life improvement if I could give a refit order for ships at sea, the fleet would then go to a port (like for repairs), refit and go back to the same place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sandermatt said:

Currently refitting a ship requires taking it back to port, refitting it and then setting it out on sea again. I think it would be a good quality of life improvement if I could give a refit order for ships at sea, the fleet would then go to a port (like for repairs), refit and go back to the same place.

It would also be great if you could use a refit to start a new build.  Why in the name of Davy Nelson Jones do I have to build the starting hull, THEN refit it, when the refit is already available.  The whole refit system should be more organic.  You should also be able to apply a refit to an already in-progress build.  It would increase cost and build time accordingly.  The current system makes me twitch every time.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 5:33 AM, UnleashtheKraken said:

It would also be great if you could use a refit to start a new build.  Why in the name of Davy Nelson Jones do I have to build the starting hull, THEN refit it, when the refit is already available.  The whole refit system should be more organic.  You should also be able to apply a refit to an already in-progress build.  It would increase cost and build time accordingly.  The current system makes me twitch every time.

I'm not sure what your asking is easy to do, but as an inbetween I'd say we should be allowed to copy our refit to make a new class that we can then build.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candle_86 said:

I'm not sure what your asking is easy to do, but as an inbetween I'd say we should be allowed to copy our refit to make a new class that we can then build.

Going to break it down as simply as I can.  My intent is not to be rude, I've just woken up.

So right now you design a refit.  New engines, lighter armor gives you more weight for modules, you unlock a higher mark of the guns you have on, so you swap out for increased gun performance.  Then you save that design.  Now you have a refit design, in italics, in the ship builder.  Exiting to the ship design tab, you can click on the refit design, and apply it to any ship of that class that hasn't had the refit applied, that is in port, and isn't repairing battle damage.

So far so good.  But what if you could select the refit design, and just start building that class, with the upgrades in place?  I'm running a campaign started in 1890.  I built a predread battleship, the Hessen class.  As the game progressed and tech unlocked, I put the class through 4 major refits - 1891, 1891 - 2, 1894, and 1898.  After designing the refit, I must first build an un-refit Hessen to the original design, THEN select one of the refits to apply once first build is complete.  Why can i not simply select 'Hessen (1898)' and start building a new ship without first building the obsolete design?  

I'm glad refits exist, but it's mind boggling to think you would intentionally build a ship with obsolete fitting, only to then, having completed construction, rip out the guts, install the new guts (and guns and armor, whatever).  Massively inefficient and wasteful.  Nobody would (or did to my knowledge) do this.

• Like 5

On 6/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, UnleashtheKraken said:

Massively inefficient and wasteful.  Nobody would (or did to my knowledge) do this.

Funnily enough, before the US went ‘military industrial complex goes brrr’/in the age of sail, they used to build a bunch of older ships and then refit them to current spec when they had the budget. We obviously in UAD don’t have a budget constraint tho

On 6/14/2022 at 5:17 AM, UnleashtheKraken said:

Going to break it down as simply as I can.  My intent is not to be rude, I've just woken up.

So right now you design a refit.  New engines, lighter armor gives you more weight for modules, you unlock a higher mark of the guns you have on, so you swap out for increased gun performance.  Then you save that design.  Now you have a refit design, in italics, in the ship builder.  Exiting to the ship design tab, you can click on the refit design, and apply it to any ship of that class that hasn't had the refit applied, that is in port, and isn't repairing battle damage.

So far so good.  But what if you could select the refit design, and just start building that class, with the upgrades in place?  I'm running a campaign started in 1890.  I built a predread battleship, the Hessen class.  As the game progressed and tech unlocked, I put the class through 4 major refits - 1891, 1891 - 2, 1894, and 1898.  After designing the refit, I must first build an un-refit Hessen to the original design, THEN select one of the refits to apply once first build is complete.  Why can i not simply select 'Hessen (1898)' and start building a new ship without first building the obsolete design?  

I'm glad refits exist, but it's mind boggling to think you would intentionally build a ship with obsolete fitting, only to then, having completed construction, rip out the guts, install the new guts (and guns and armor, whatever).  Massively inefficient and wasteful.  Nobody would (or did to my knowledge) do this.

We should also be ale to refit from the "Fleet" screen. This would make it easier to know which ship you are working on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kjg000 said:

We should also be ale to refit from the "Fleet" screen. This would make it easier to know which ship you are working on.

Yes.  I think building/refitting screen should be merged with the fleet screen, and have different tabs.  And for example on existing ships, right click, select 'refit' from drop down, then have a window open up with the available refits for that hull.

• Like 1