Game-Labs Forum

Ship Designs

Wowzery

Just curious, is the game starting to move to being too complex for designing a ship?    Personally, yes.

I've always thought with a game there is a fine line between being too complex and too simple.  It just feels like its starting to move to the too complex.  I know a lot of people want all these tweaks and being able to do this and that.  We must remember that to survive the game needs players to play and buy it.  For that many new players if they don't understand probably won't move to the forum or a video to understand what this or that does.  If they get frustrated they will probably move on to the next game.

I've made a lot of videos, on break due to personal issues, but I've noticed most enjoy not me designing the ships, but the fighting.

I enjoy designing ships, but I also realize a lot don't.  If we want a larger player base, I do think this needs to be looked at to avoid frustrations.  We want a fun game, not one where a player is trying 30 minutes to make a balanced design just to play the game.

• Like 2

It might be a valid concern, but this variety also ensures the replayability of the game as it allows A TON of different designs to exist.

I think most complexity problems can be mitigated with :

1 - very clear info panels on what changes what (and I mean VERY clear)

2 - A progressive tutorial

• Like 5

Yes, I think the game is in real danger of only appealing to die hard gamers or purists. Having said that it is still a long way from being in its final form. Hopefully at some time the Dev’s will add a way of allowing the gamer to select the level of complexity in order to broaden its appeal.

I also hope to eventually see pre-made historical ship designs and an option to play only with these.Possibly these could be designed via a community competition I order to lessen the demand on the Dev’s and broaden community involement.

Edited by kjg000