Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.06 Feedback<<< (FINAL UPDATE 6th Release Candidate)

Well, the game has improved immensely over the past few weeks and  I'd say its fit enough for a live version of the early access 1.06. Still much to do but clear progress.

My biggest disappointment, and unfortunately for me this is game breaking, is that in response to myself and others saying the AI generates too many pissy little ships (LC and below) they seem to have caused the  game to generate even more pissy little ships, to the extent it is now affecting the frame rate.

I know some people like this type of game, and I'd love it if it could be dealt with via options, but I find them tedious in the extreme and why would I want to play such a constantly tedious game with jerky unattractive graphics and unresponsive ships?

In past versions there have at least been some entertaining battles which makes the tedious ones worth withdrawing, auto resolving or persevering through, but I'm 1/3 of the way through a 1920s campaign and every battle has been against 30, 40 or more of these little ships plus some few BBs and BCs I've either sunk or have only glimpsed at maximum range.. I've won each battle but it is not fun or rewarding, and the AI simply generates more pissy little ships for the next battle, so it is never ending. I might sink 20 of them, the AI simply generates 30 more next turn. Not fun!

• Like 1

When I demand territory in a peace-deal and the AI does not give it away, do I get the amount of money I would have gotten had I not demanded the province?

Because I have that every now and then that I simply do not get the province I ticked in the peace-deal.

I honestly am starting to tire out over battle sizes.
This is unplayable both PC wise or management wise please Limit the amount of ships in a battle especially convoi defenses. No Navy will send this much forces to a Convoi battle with 10 transports.
There needs to be put in place a hard cap on ships in a battle it is frustrating having to auto resolve battles and lose ships because i get forced into a convoi battle. Also Tech progression in 3 key areas is too slow gun development both primary and secondary, boiler Tech and cruiser Tech. either reduced Cruiser Techs or combine Light Cruiser Techs with heavy Cruiser Techs to save up time same with Funnels for Battleships and DDs. Gun Tech maybe reducing the Research time slightly with work to have Tech be corresponding to the year given for when it unlocked.

20220702154716_1.jpg

• Like 9

This issue with the impossible to spot enemy raining down shells and torpedoes on your ships is also present in the Jeune Ecole Has Failed scenario. I appreciate that the spotting technology of the enemy (towers in this case, as the scenario is pre-radar) may be better, but the player has to be made aware of this in the scenario briefing. I built about the best possible battleships allowed by the scenario, being super careful with smoke interference. Nothing. Shells rain down from the invisible opposition. So, once again the only way to have a meaningful fight is the death ride of the secondary ships who dash towards the opponent in the vain hope they can see something. It's very frustrating and precludes any strategising.

EDIT: And the bug where the ammo counter is not reset on reload is still here. Basically, every time you reload you start from the ammo level you have reached before. So, even if you load at the start of the battle you start with fewer (or none, if you had run out before) shells. Surely this must be the easiest thing to debug, I am a fairly crap programmer myself but these are the easiest bugs to squash.

Edited by imp44791

22 minutes ago, Marcus said:

This is unplayable both PC wise or management wise please Limit the amount of ships in a battle especially convoi defenses. No Navy will send this much forces to a Convoi battle with 10 transports.
There needs to be put in place a hard cap on ships in a battle it is frustrating having to auto resolve battles and lose ships because i get forced into a convoi battle. Also Tech progression in 3 key areas is too slow gun development both primary and secondary, boiler Tech and cruiser Tech. either reduced Cruiser Techs or combine Light Cruiser Techs with heavy Cruiser Techs to save up time same with Funnels for Battleships and DDs. Gun Tech maybe reducing the Research time slightly with work to have Tech be corresponding to the year given for when it unlocked.

20220702154716_1.jpg

Also i think the main Problem right now is that the enemy wants to balance the Budget between Battle Groups and since as Austria Hungary my entire Fleet was in Ports next to each other it lead to the AI placeing its entire Fleet against mine. And no i had no Task Forces out at that moment.

Edited by Marcus
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RegamusMaximis said:

It may not be fun, but having so many little ships in comparison to capitol's is realistic. Wiki US fleet numbers 1945, little ships vs BB's has them outnumbered 35-1

Yes, so I assume you have purchased the game because you wanted a history lesson? Historical accuracy is good, and in general I support it, but this is a game not a lecture in naval history. If it is not fun or rewarding, why play? Besides, as I mentioned, it could be dealt with as an option setting which would satisfy both the hard core history players and the people looking for a rewarding, pleasurable, but challenging experience. It the Devs are going to rely only on the hard core players, they will severely limit their customer base!

54 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

When I demand territory in a peace-deal and the AI does not give it away, do I get the amount of money I would have gotten had I not demanded the province?

Because I have that every now and then that I simply do not get the province I ticked in the peace-deal.

Pretty sure you get the money, i know this was the case a few revisions ago, but I haven't had a chance to confirm this is still the case in 1.06.22.4. I also assume the current diplomacy screens are just placeholders otherwise they need a lot of development.

• Like 2

This was frustrating. I fought and won two wars against Germany. Both times I demanded Helogland in the peace deal and both times I did not get it.

Then during our third war, Germany collapsed economically and is now out of the game... along with any chance to conquer Helgoland... 😕

And to make matters worse, now I can't provoke the UK anymore, since they don't get annoyed no matter how many ships I place around their island, meaning I can't take Gibraltar and Ireland either (already got Cyprus and Malta in an earlier war).

Why do they like me so much... or at all? I always take every anti-british decision I can in events and took two of their provinces in a previous war.

Edited by Norbert Sattler
  • Like 1

HOTFIX

- The new French Armored Cruiser is now available properly in 1914.
- Increased the potential growth/dissipation of Port Capacity / Population growth in Campaign.
- Increased the potential damage to ports in port strike missions.
- Battle AI fine tuning.

You known the drill ;)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

This was frustrating. I fought and won two wars against Germany. Both times I demanded Helogland in the peace deal and both times I did not get it.

Then during our third war, Germany collapsed economically and is now out of the game... along with any chance to conquer Helgoland... 😕

And to make matters worse, now I can't provoke the UK anymore, since they don't get annoyed no matter how many ships I place around their island, meaning I can't take Gibraltar and Ireland either (already got Cyprus and Malta in an earlier war).

Why do they like me so much... or at all? I always take every anti-british decision I can in events and took two of their provinces in a previous war.

In 1.07 I'd like to see one or two check boxes below the AI nations flags on the Diplomacy screen, one for antagonize and one for appease (or cooperate). Obviously mutually exclusive and if neither is checked then the default stance would take effect. I think the names are self explanatory.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Marcus said:

20220702154716_1.jpg

Have you tried reducing your own Task Forces at Sea or splitting them? If you mass your fleet to destroy the AI, it must respond to this. If you want to have less action, keep most of your fleet in your ports at In Being or Sea Control status, to get more balanced battles.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Have you tried reducing your own Task Forces at Sea or splitting them? If you mass your fleet to destroy the AI, it must respond to this. If you want to have less action, keep most of your fleet in your ports at In Being or Sea Control status, to get more balanced battles.

I had all my Ships in Port as i mentioned in my reply on my post their stance was the basic stance they receive after being added to the Fleet. Also i noticed Austria Hungary is immune to the passive transport loss after every other turn. However there was also a tonnage difference in this battle of me having 200k tonnes and the Ai having 395K tonnes in shipping.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kjg000 said:

Yes, so I assume you have purchased the game because you wanted a history lesson? Historical accuracy is good, and in general I support it, but this is a game not a lecture in naval history. If it is not fun or rewarding, why play? Besides, as I mentioned, it could be dealt with as an option setting which would satisfy both the hard core history players and the people looking for a rewarding, pleasurable, but challenging experience. It the Devs are going to rely only on the hard core players, they will severely limit their customer base!

If your fleets can defeat said stacks, do you not think you're responsible for the AI bringing so many, it has to try and defeat you afterall, and if you have ships capable of winning with those odds, if it used less ships, you'd probably be complaining the AI are too easy and their ships can't deal with yours.

I've never once encountered fleets that big, because I don't use big fleets myself

1 hour ago, Marcus said:

Also Tech progression in 3 key areas is too slow gun development both primary and secondary, boiler Tech and cruiser Tech. either reduced Cruiser Techs or combine Light Cruiser Techs with heavy Cruiser Techs to save up time same with Funnels for Battleships and DDs. Gun Tech maybe reducing the Research time slightly with work to have Tech be corresponding to the year given for when it unlocked.

according to this post:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2697642436

the "Boilers" and "Cruiser design" are very long.(BTW,"Control station " and "Turret mechanisms" are long,too.)

I agree your words. the developer could...

1. adjust these techs research speed.
  2. combine some techs to reduce techs number.

of course, use these 2 solutions at the same time may better to balance techs.

49 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

yes, I notice that if player don't have large Task Force, the AI won't fight you with large fleet.

except AI organize a large TF, and your small TF face it, the battle will show something like "Task Force is under the attack".

However, it is point out that the game is lack guide about how game mechanisms work.

Edited by itolan1752
"boost these techs research speed" to "adjust these techs research speed."

35 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

I think most people  who share this concern would agree that its not the size of the fleet in tonnage, its the number of small ships chewing up computer resources and making the game unenjoyable.

Say 6 BB/BC, 8 CA, 6 CL and 10 DD facing my 3 BB and 4 CA would be fine. The game would be challenging but enjoyable and manageable. I may not win, but I'd have fun trying and it would really test my designs.

ANY BB/BC, ANY CA, LOTS OF CL and A Zillion DD is just tedious and consumes too many resources. 

Besides, as I mentioned a few hours ago, this policy of forcing "balanced" engagements trashes the concept of a TF and makes strategic deployment pointless. 

Perhaps allow an option to limit the number of ships to 30 or so per side? 'Make your own fleet smaller' is not a great response especially when the game sometimes forces TF to merge, even if they have different missions. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RegamusMaximis said:

If your fleets can defeat said stacks, do you not think you're responsible for the AI bringing so many, it has to try and defeat you afterall, and if you have ships capable of winning with those odds, if it used less ships, you'd probably be complaining the AI are too easy and their ships can't deal with yours.

I've never once encountered fleets that big, because I don't use big fleets myself

I won the  battle, not destroyed the fleet! These little ships are relatively unchallenging if you keep your distance, they are just time consuming and resource hungry in computing terms. Thus making for tedious and unrewarding battles in which I take little damage, unless I get  bored and set all my ships to AI. I destroy lots of CLs and DDs and thus 'win' the victory. BTW my typical fleet size is 3-4 fast BB.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, itolan1752 said:

according to this post:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2697642436

the "Boilers" and "Cruiser design" are very long.(BTW,"Control station " and "Turret mechanisms" are long,too.)

I agree your words. the developer could...

1. adjust these techs research speed.
  2. combine some techs to reduce techs number.

of course, use these 2 solutions at the same time may better to balance techs.

yes, I notice that if player don't have large Task Force, the AI won't fight you with large fleet.

except AI organize a large TF, and your small TF face it, the battle will show something like "Task Force is under the attack".

However, it is point out that the game is lack guide about how game mechanisms work.

Personally, I think that "hull design" should constitute all hulls, instead of just battleships, cruisers, or destroyers/torpedo boats.

• Like 3

Through making war against the French, who were allied with the UK, I was finally able to get my relationship with the UK low enough for them to care about me putting ships in their territory.

Though they don't care enough for there to be a war. They did not join their allied French against me and after beating the French, I'm stuck at -99 despite getting about -40 and +5 each round supposedly, which in my book should put me well below -99... but doesn't.

• Like 4

I've got some quick diplomacy feedback here.
While there is historical precedent for it, the massive relations change when war breaks out is something of a kill-joy for this game's diplomacy system.
IgTm7BI.png
While folks might not like it when someone declares war on their ally, this sort of system greatly impairs the player's ability to actually change the diplomatic situation of their nation. A better way of doing things would be to give the player an option on which side to support through an event, where siding with a nation you don't have good relations with over a nation you do have good relations with would cause some unrest and maybe cost some prestige, but the point of the event would be to give the player the choice on what side to take, if any. One of the options could simply be to support neither side, at the cost of prestige, but lowering unrest.

Edited by SodaBit
  • Like 1

The AI doesnt seem to have any understanding of effective weapon ranges, and keeps getting into very long range shootouts with my ships when at a significant accuracy disadvantage leading to a horrible massacre 

Here we have a swarm of CLs forming a line of battle outside of their torpedo range and trying to shoot it out with dreadnoughts...

https://prnt.sc/E7mBCziSWNd_

Edited by Makko
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1