Game-Labs Forum

PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER ULIMATE GENERAL

Logank

Ulimate general civil war blew me away. A game based around an army was incredible. I fell in love with the strategy. My Individual units mattered. The campaign amazing. Please stop this naval at sea non sense

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, Logank said:

Ulimate general civil war blew me away. A game based around an army was incredible. I fell in love with the strategy. My Individual units mattered. The campaign amazing. Please stop this naval at sea non sense

Agreed! This time I hope they include a full open world or sandbox mode. 

While UA:AoS has some interesting land battle ideas,  Civil War is by far the better and more rewarding game, limited mostly by its ridgedly fixed timeline and lack of a strategic campaign element. You only fought historical battles in the historical sequence. No grand manoeuvring on a campaign scale.

Napoleonic Europe, Franco Prussian war,  colonial India, pre-colonial India, China (pick your era), Japan, sino-japanese wars, American Indian wars, this is just one minutes thought, the potential list is endless. 

An open world idea could be something like a 4x game using your chosen era's technology as a base. This would provide freedom to innovate not available in a strongly historical game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

American revolution could be nice however we also want european format, Napoleon with its massive giga scale would be so awesome. You are appointed as marshal by Napoleon or by Coalation and you have to fight through 20+ years of massive wars on grander scale than the civil war.

Fight in ice and snow outside of Moscow? Fight at deserts of Egypt outside of Giza? Endless possibilites, however I understand the massive effort of research needed to be undertaken.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I second the call for an entire series based on UG land battles.  The art is BEAUTIFUL.  My favorite games growing up, and I was a total weirdo for it I guess because no other kid knew about it, were Sid Meier's Gettysburg and Antietam. I really with someone would remaster those games for modern resolution.

It only needs two things: ability to zoom the camera down as close to the ground as the unit sprites allow or an isogrid system like SMG to you can see elevation better, and the randomized battle feature from Gettysburg.  The latter is super important because it gives infinite replayability.  In Gettysburg the map was fully labeled with all the features: some of them famous hills, farms, orchards, but others you'd only know from studying maps.  So the randomize feature let you choose difficulty and size ranging from Small Skirmish to Meeting Engagement to Large Battle.  The game would randomize a capture point or two, set each side up as either attk/def or meeting engagement, and randomize brigades and batteries. It wasnt always a fair fight but that was the challenge.  Of course small skirmishes were possible because SMG was at the Regiment level.  Modders did release maps for other battles using the Antietam/South Mountain system but I bet those websites are long dead lol.

Man no offense to UG but after writing that I want to play Gettysburg again.  I wish I had the cash to buy the rights to get a few artists and coders together to release an anthology series based on the UG platform.  From Napoleon to the beginning of WWI.

Edited by LennyFroggins
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2022 at 7:33 AM, Logank said:

I can sense your enthusiasm and passion for Ultimate General: Civil War! It's truly an incredible game that offers a unique and immersive experience centered around army-based strategy. I completely understand how the game's emphasis on individual units and the significance they hold within the larger context of battles can be captivating. The campaign aspect adds another layer of depth and excitement to the gameplay, allowing for an engaging and memorable experience. It's always great to find a game that resonates with us on such a profound level. As for the naval aspect, while it may not be your cup of tea, it's worth exploring different facets of the game to fully appreciate its breadth and scope. Nevertheless, your appreciation for the army-focused strategy is certainly understandable, and it's wonderful to hear how the game has left such a strong impression on you. May your future gaming endeavors continue to be filled with equally remarkable experiences!