Game-Labs Forum

What's coming next (v1.06) *UPDATE 28/5/2022*

Nick Thomadis

1 hour ago, Vanhal said:

torps in general being way more reliable and way less influenced by everything than guns.

This is the single biggest issue with them.  Torps have zero of the downsides guns do: weather, aim times, accuracy, etc.  IRL aiming torpedoes was just as difficult as aiming guns, complete with the need to compute targeting solutions.  A good way to represent that, IMO, would be to add a similar system to gun aiming for torpedoes, with 0-100% being the accuracy of your firing solution.  0 means the torpedoes fire off randomly as you don't know where to aim, and 100% means they're aimed precisely center mass of where the target is expected to be.  Turns and speed changes by both sides would reduce the solution strength, and then recover as ships return to stable courses.  And obviously wind, weather, and sea state would all reduce the ability to get an accurate track, perhaps even to the point of making it impossible to get a guaranteed course set for the torpedoes.

And then of course, we can get actual torpedo accuracy modeled (as hinted at by some torpedo techs and modules), so early torps will have a tendency to run off-course, even with that 100% computed firing angle.

It should also go without saying that torpedo range needs to be actual torpedo range.  No more torpedoes running indefinitely through the water.  They reach their listed range, and they stop dead.

Edited by SpardaSon21
  • Like 4

On 5/2/2022 at 3:49 PM, SpardaSon21 said:

This is the single biggest issue with them.  Torps have zero of the downsides guns do: weather, aim times, accuracy, etc.  IRL aiming torpedoes was just as difficult as aiming guns, complete with the need to compute targeting solutions.  A good way to represent that, IMO, would be to add a similar system to gun aiming for torpedoes, with 0-100% being the accuracy of your firing solution.  0 means the torpedoes fire off randomly as you don't know where to aim, and 100% means they're aimed precisely center mass of where the target is expected to be.  Turns and speed changes by both sides would reduce the solution strength, and then recover as ships return to stable courses.  And obviously wind, weather, and sea state would all reduce the ability to get an accurate track, perhaps even to the point of making it impossible to get a guaranteed course set for the torpedoes.

And then of course, we can get actual torpedo accuracy modeled (as hinted at by some torpedo techs and modules), so early torps will have a tendency to run off-course, even with that 100% computed firing angle.

It should also go without saying that torpedo range needs to be actual torpedo range.  No more torpedoes running indefinitely through the water.  They reach their listed range, and they stop dead.

we need circle track torpedo's that can come around and hit your own ship like was actually possible

Hello admirals,

We have more info to share about the next major update. The confirmed working additions are updated in the changelog.

- New Citadel calculations for the hull will affect everything about the ship stability and weight allocations. For example, you can enlarge the citadel to reduce the pitch/roll, because by adding weight in the central parts of the ship will significantly increase its stability (Currently this effect is not so strong, because all sections were weighted equally, so adding big guns on the ship would always increase pitch/roll with no way to reduce other than bringing guns closer to the center).

- The different guns on diameter and length caliber will also vary according to the 3D model used for them. Guns of different nations that are large or have a shorter barrel than others of the same caliber and technology, will not be identical as now, but will have different stats accordingly.

- Dud torpedoes can also deviate from course (extremely rarely in more than 90 degrees).

- Up to now we can confirm the addition of the Danton-class battleship for the French Navy along with new French guns and other hull variants for France and other nations. More hulls will be added.

We will update the changelog with more details next week, when we plan to release the first beta, if the campaign first work is finished.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

- The different guns on diameter and length caliber will also vary according to the 3D model used for them. Guns of different nations that are large or have a shorter barrel than others of the same caliber and technology, will not be identical as now, but will have different stats accordingly.

Eagerly awaiting, as usual. I have two questions about turrets though:

1. Will the turrets resize to the number of guns? Single gun turret should be narrower than triple.

2. You write about different barrels for different nations, but what about turrets? Like the quadruple turret from KGV used for almost all nations and calibers?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vanhal said:

Eagerly awaiting, as usual. I have two questions about turrets though:

1. Will the turrets resize to the number of guns? Single gun turret should be narrower than triple.

2. You write about different barrels for different nations, but what about turrets? Like the quadruple turret from KGV used for almost all nations and calibers?

About your first question the devs already gave an answer.

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1069660/discussions/0/3266807987601833031/?ctp=6

"We will fix that too as soon as possible"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello admirals,

We have more info to share about the next major update. The confirmed working additions are updated in the changelog.

- New Citadel calculations for the hull will affect everything about the ship stability and weight allocations. For example, you can enlarge the citadel to reduce the pitch/roll, because by adding weight in the central parts of the ship will significantly increase its stability (Currently this effect is not so strong, because all sections were weighted equally, so adding big guns on the ship would always increase pitch/roll with no way to reduce other than bringing guns closer to the center).

- Dud torpedoes can also deviate from course (extremely rarely in more than 90 degrees).

- Up to now we can confirm the addition of the Danton-class battleship for the French Navy along with new French guns and other hull variants for France and other nations. More hulls will be added.

We will update the changelog with more details next week, when we plan to release the first beta, if the campaign first work is finished.

Will the resistance and hull form stats be reworked as part of the citadel changes?

Hi!

I truly love this game and hope team will continue to work on it. At this point game is playable but honestly, campaign is the probably worst part of this game. It is blank, constant wars, from the start, short campaigns... I see that in 1.06 it will be improved, however i would like to add few things that could improve the gameplay of this game. This is my own suggestion (after playing for almost two hundred hours, yes i got addicted to this game)

Campaign:

- Making campaings much longer (this is confirmed for 1.06)

- Adding possibility of peace and war, creating new alliances

-  Possibility to cripple enemy production and economy. Currently you have system where enemy engage your forces near your port if you lose they bomb the city but this really do nothing. Having possibility to either damage or destroy enemy facilities in port (automaticly) that would either slow ship production and repairs or totally destroy it until enemy can rebuilt it (same thing for player economy), it would be more challenging.

- Economy, there should be posibility to improve your economy, like building mines, factories... that should greatly increase income so that you are not affected much by transport loss.

- Possibility to improve ports. Increasing size of the ports so that more ships can be stationed in cities. Possible port defenses. As above, port facilities like shipyards - docks which could be destroyed thus slowing or totally destroying the production till it is rebuilt.

- AI is to weak. It can be challenging at first but as you develop new hulls and stronger weaponry, it become less and less a threat. AI does upgrade some ships but do not make new ones. It stick with one class (example battleship) and that is all. If you have a dreadnought ship and you get a modern battleship hull, your enemy should do the same, following you and challenging you all the way. Its not fair to enemy if your have a modern battleship fighting their vintage dreadnoughts. Enemy need to have same level of technology as you do. Making new generations of battleships, cruisers, destroyers so that you remain at alert at all times.

- Reworking current system and allowing more different types of missions, from low threat skirmishes to fleet clashes.

- Adding perhaps an island or two in the battle map. Its not interesting at all fighting constantly at same map where nothing exist except sea, yours and enemy ships.

- Adding possibility to buy ships from allied nations as well sell your ships to allies. Buying ships from other nations would introduce you to new technologies and if you lose that ally you encounter ships you sold in combat.

- Currently campaigns start at 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. That is fifty years of combat. If you start campaign in 1890 you should be able to play it for decades and reach till 1940. With peace and war times between.

- You should be able to totally defeat enemy. For example you play with Germany and you play against UK, France and Italy, you defeat France for example and that country is no longer threat to you. Also you should be able to capture enemy ships, adding them to your own fleet, if you take over the enemy country you should be able to use ports of that country.

- Possibility to start in 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, (not adding 1945, however 1945 could be end of all campaigns). Perhaps adding possibility to start in 1870s adding more hulls for that era.

- New enlarged map which covers basically entire Earth. Right now you can only fight in North Sea, Baltic, tiny parts of Atlantic, Mediteranean and Adriatic seas. You should be able to send your ships to other parts of the world. Battle of Falklands could occure if you have possibility to send ships to Falkland either as UK or Germany.

- Adding more campaigns. Right now we have British, French, German, Italian and Austro-Hungarian campaigns. It would be nice to Add United States and Japanese, so that we can have true war on Pacific. Russian Empire to have Russo-Japanese war, Chinese, Spanish, perhaps one day Swedish, Dutch, Turkey, Greece or South American countries.

- Additional port cities.

- Historical type of missions inside of campaings. For exmaple battle of Midway, battle of Okinawa, Hunt for Bismarck, Graf Spee....

CUSTOM MISSIONS:

I guess they are some kind of tutorials, but this game need real tutorial. However, Custom missions should be more refined. There should be lots of real historical scenarios. For example "Battle of Jutland" where you are given exact number of ships that existed on one of two sides and fight against other with goal either decimate opponent or delay or something else... There is really a lot of sea battles from 1890 to 1940 that this could be done.

CONQUEST MOD:

This mod should be added to the game. Allowing player nation to move and take on enemy all over the Earth. Fighting on Pacific, or Atlantic, or Indian ocean...

- Possibility of landing troops as part of invasions.

SHIPS:

- More diverse hulls. Right now there is lots of hulls but very few actually gave you capability to recreate real historical ships. Each hull should be based on historical ships so that they can be fully recreated.

- Additional scaling down or up hulls. If you have for example ship that is 22000 tons and you have hull that is correct for it but it is 50000, you usually can scale it down to about 30-35k, but you cant scale it all the way to 20-22 as such you cant fully recreate ship as it is heavier then it should be. This need to be either correct by adding more parameters or additional hulls.

- More superstructures, front and aft as well more funnels (historical ones), one of biggest problems with not only hulls is superstructures and funnels. You cant recreate a Nagato or Kongo class because there is no real superstructure for those ships. So you need to have not only hull, but front and back superstrucutre and funnels for those ships to actually recreate them. So there should be more of sup structures and funnels so that you can recreate not only 1940s version of lets say Kongo or Nagato but also their 1912-1920s apperanace. But definitly more super structure and funnel parts is needed. If you have that you could basically recreate any existing ship of WWII (for lets say Japan) and have it in campaign. As such you wold have historical looking ships in your campaigns and could recreate real battles.

This is for all types of ships, from destroyers to battleships. Destroyers also need to have historical super structures and funnels. There is lots of destroyers that can be built with that annoying advance wheel house which looks terrible. Additional destroyer hulls.

Adding to the part for funnels, for example Japanese cruisers, mostly Japanese cruiers have those dual funnels but there are much more funnel types on real ships and Japanese cruisers were represented by only one type of funnel in different sizes.

- Ship camuflages, even plates, names...

- Possibility to change ship names. Ship names now are random given and you can only name class not individual ships. It would be nice to have possibility to give your own custom name to ships in construction so that they were launched under name you give them, not some random name.

- Submarines, definitly what is needed is submarines and of course mechanics for countering them.

- Minelayers, minesweepers.

- Torpedo boats of 1940s

- Frigates, smaller coastal ships.

- I doubt developers would ever add them but perhaps one day carriers and planes.

GUNS:

More historically looking turrets. Some ships for some eras do not have accurate looking turrets, they have those generic turrets.

SMOKE SCREEN:

Highly inacurate. When destroyer or light cruiser use smoke screen there should be smoke screen trail behind ship, covering your ships, not having entire smoke cloud moving with the ship.

AI:

As you approach to 1940s AI become more and more torpedo opssesed. Torpedoes of this period of course go faster and further but that is exactly problem. AI spam torpedoes en mass. These shoud be tweeaked a little bit.

This is what i could think of for changing or adding into game. If one part of this is added to the game, game would be far far more playable and enjoyable. It is good game now but it has such potential to be even better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dreaming_Nagato said:

If you have a dreadnought ship and you get a modern battleship hull, your enemy should do the same, following you and challenging you all the way. Its not fair to enemy if your have a modern battleship fighting their vintage dreadnoughts. Enemy need to have same level of technology as you do. Making new generations of battleships, cruisers, destroyers so that you remain at alert at all times.

If this is happening then this is a bug that we must fix. AI must develop new designs and built them.

50 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

If this is happening then this is a bug that we must fix. AI must develop new designs and built them.

i did play a Austria campain from 1890 till 1902 by perodically resetting the savegame for revolution stat and fixed that bug where your enemy becomes your "fake ally" (still have the samegames if devs are interested). For what its worth in that setting (i am aware the game in 1.05 is not built to do that) i made some observations:

* AI is researching techs and retrofitting. This works fine, although AI seems to keep going at 50% tech budget so eventually you will outtech them (personally i go 100% all the way)

* at the end i managed to beeline and build ~ 18 to 20 small dreadnaughts (yay !) but mission generation would never put them into any battle. i assume that is because i was running them around in packs of 6 and mission generation seems to go by a range of total tonnage, while my 6 packs (hehe) were to heavy for what they could field at that stage.

* at least in 1.05 it seems impossible to block passage for enemy ships whatsoever. my best example: parked some good sized fleet at gibraltar to make sure that france and britain does not harrass me in the mediteranian sea. Result is that their fleet simply pass without getting engaged (i would assume gibraltar is easily blocked). same with parking fleets around silicy.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Woo hype, looking forward to it :D

Edited by Cryadis
spelling. my enternal enemy
  • Like 1

one more thing about playing Autria-Hungary: you are super limited on possible hulls.

I can understand that this is currently not the focus (long campaing ftw) but after that it might be relevant: As for now it seems you start with battleship I in 1890 and next upgrade there is (Small) Dreadnaught..

i didn't have the chance to test / play through smaller hulls yet as i wanted to see the biggest :D

In every game i play, every campaign, i outmatch enemy in tech. While first battles were usually brutal and i do lose quite ships, in later one i dont lost almost anything, a destroyer or two, perhaps some light cruiser, once i get dreadnoughts V and VI or modern battleships, enemy is done. I can outgun and destroy them easly, no matter how many ships they have (and i am usually outnumbered), it must be bug, because enemy remain at same level when it start, sometimes i did noticed that some enemy ships are refited but they are still old hulls, and no match for my most modern ships in fleet.

I played on legendary and it is the same thing, it get to easy during mid-later part of campaign and of course as i decimate enemy fleet, it end on random (usually after 1 year and month or so, TO darn SHORT. I cant wait for 1.06 so that it last longer, much much longer and please add US and Japan (and whole map) so that fun last longer :) Truly love this game.

I've played a couple of campaigns from 1910 all the way to the 1940s, and the ai does seem to progress technologically and use the new hulls they develop.  It just seems like they don't prioritize research, so their rate of progress was a lot slower than mine (which was still behind even though I had 100% budget).  This was 1.05

I guess this is somewhat related to what Nagato said.  Personally I hope entire countries are repesented with their major cities, instead of just ports.  Although it would kinda require a way more in depth game overall to be worthwhile, I hope it can come eventually.  I'd love to make Miami outpace NYC or even found it early, forge guns in Vegas safe from bombardment but slower build time.. etc.  Obviously you wouldn't have the control of the mayor or something, but you get my point.

I think all my suggestions can be summed up as "I want a big alternative history simulation rather then throwing different ships at each other every few years."

Agree with everything else, and gonna use it as another excuse to say superstructure designer good.

Edited by slightlytreasonous
  • Like 1

I don't want such granular control, but I'd like to see a more realistic handling of big guns, after 100 shots or 150 shots per barrel the accuracy drops off big time, and requires repairs to reline or replace the barrels that could last 3-5 months for instance. This should apply to 8in plus guns like it was historically. As well as require you to stockpile spare guns, and your repairs are limited by gun supply, and when your replace a gun you have to wait if you run out of guns for others to be relined or new forged.

Edited by Candle_86
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi,

I'd prefer a campaign mode only with money, so no unrest, prestige or something like that. I'd be great to play the whole campaign from 1890 to 1950. Always I want to do that some "weird" country is surrendering or their leader expelled and the campaign ends. I am not interrested in such things.

That is so boring and sad. I almost get 1-3 years of war until such a campaign ending.

So i suggest a mode that ignores all the facts that can cause the campaign to end. The campaign can only be ended by "reaching" the year 1950.

Despite this I'd be happy if alls obsolete parts/hulls/Tiers wouldn't disappear. For example selecting: centerline mounts -> tier 3 -> 13'' -> 13'' double.

I'd really happy to customize the hotkeys, since 1.05 torpedos don't have a hotkey... I don't use torpedo behavior or changing shell type that often.

Thanks

7 hours ago, CmcUrgyle said:

I'd be great to play the whole campaign from 1890 to 1950.I almost get 1-3 years of war until such a campaign ending.

So i suggest a mode that ignores all the facts that can cause the campaign to end. The campaign can only be ended by "reaching" the year 1950.

Didn't you read the devs notes about the next update?

"Long campaign with peacetime periods: This was actually a planned and expected feature of the campaign. On the current WIP map you will be able to start from your selected year without instant wars. New tension mechanics and special events will trigger diplomacy effects. Alliances will be formed and different wars will be fought throughout decades of gameplay."

2 hours ago, Zuikaku said:

Nobody misses the weather effects and nightbattles? Nobody misses representation of sea state and wind? Imagine trying do do battleship ambush missions during the night and snowstorm. 

Devs mentioned will take a look a that in a later stage. Not a priority at the moment.

• Sad 2

Would be great to see the AI be better at designs, would be a good excuse to pick the higher difficulties where they might be allowed to design better than currently. AI seems to often build designs with insane amounts of different guns or will barely use any of their deck space. Sometimes even in Skirmish they seem to build much smaller than they should (e.g. if you want a 1v1 battleship fight in 1940 tech, you might build an amazing 100,000 tonne super-BB but the AI sometimes just picks some 40,000t ship that might as well be a lightly armoured battlecruiser)

Edited by Traslo

On 4/23/2022 at 5:26 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

Furthermore, the new calculations for the hull will affect everything about the ship stability and weight allocations.

A long time ago I agreed that while artillery remains automated, the rest of the game should have a level of detail to keep the player busy.

IMO I believe this level has been reached. And to go anymore complex would serve to discourage players from enquiry.

I like discovering new and better ways to build ships, always getting the best performance out of my designs. Even months/years later. But I’ve learnt all of this over a progression of the game's development.

So then imagine a new player who has never played this game before or is not even familiar with warships or the concept of detailed design. How would they fair if confronted with so much detail at once.

Just saying what I have noticed with v1.05 by adding beam and draught calc's, etc. I think the pendulum is balance currently but with too much detail there’s a chance it could start swinging into the too hard basket.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1