Game-Labs Forum

What's coming next (v1.06) *UPDATE 28/5/2022*

Nick Thomadis

11 hours ago, SiWi said:

I'm a bit skeptical about "Dud torpedos" because that has the potential to feel really frustrating. But we will see.

The main course is of course that the campaign could "finally" reaches its form where long term planing will make a difference. I wonder if they also rework peace offers since it doesn't seem to be actually implemented for a country to lose a province.

Lol, seeing torpedoes coming in frontally, hitting the nose of a ship and causing major damage is nothing short of frustrating in my book. I am very happy we will get duds with regular impact detonators. 

@Nick Thomadis Magnetic detonators should (eventually) be a (tech) feature for torps too, however I think it would be best if these are only effective after the target has been fully identified, because in order to effectively set magnetic detonators you will need to know the draught of a ship. Fully identifying a target before would simulate that the running depth of the torpedo can correctly set to be slightly below the ship's hull.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Dave P. said:

Awesome.

The "long" campaign option, however, makes it very, very important that we're able to refit obsolete hulls. (Even if we can't build new ones.)

we already can, at least we could in 1.05 beta I assumed it would be in the live build as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danz_Von_Luck said:

we already can, at least we could in 1.05 beta I assumed it would be in the live build as well

Happy to hear that. I hadn't actually tried, I just remembered reading other people claim it was borked.

I am incredibly excited for these upcoming features but on a less important side note, updating some of the nations hull models would be lovely as they seem to share a lot of with each other more than what would seem reasonable. again, not import to the coming patch and I'm sure something the team already knows of but I thought I'd mention it. 

Yours Humbly 

guy who plays too often

P.S is there a conservative estimate for the patch beta? even a way over estimation is fine. 

• Like 1

I stop play the game because of torps, one torp vs CL = dead CL. they have range 9km but they can easy hit my ship in the range 20km, AI spamming torps and to found them is very hard and boring task, you must change the speed of game to x1 and looking in the water or avoid it by run from enemy's and keep the distance 20km.

In big battles you literally have a wall of torps if you send any ship in range of 8-9km, nothing wrong, but when you dodge it by DD, the torps are running forward and can hit the ships behind BB and remember about torps is impossible, so you must give the AI control or run away 20km. Torps in my case have huge damage and anti-torpedo are good, but the cost is a big one. Because of that DD is the best class of ship or CA with many torps and BB can fight in long distance 20km, but they rarely can destroy enemy ship from range 20km and because of that they are not effective in battles, even if you sink the enemy CA, you must pay the bill for repairing etc. and because of that you and enemy lost this same amount of money. 

Long campaign with peacetime periods: This was actually a planned and expected feature of the campaign. On the current WIP map you will be able to start from your selected year without instant wars. New tension mechanics and special events will trigger diplomacy effects. Alliances will be formed and different wars will be fought throughout decades of gameplay.

This sounds good too! I hope tech and long run campaign will be possible not one time turn campaign (my average time of campaign is now 6 months, but also 1 month happens). 

The rest of problems for me are not as much important as these. On some point 1.05 was worse than 1.04 because of these issue. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 5:53 AM, Tycondero said:

Lol, seeing torpedoes coming in frontally, hitting the nose of a ship and causing major damage is nothing short of frustrating in my book. I am very happy we will get duds with regular impact detonators. 

@Nick Thomadis Magnetic detonators should (eventually) be a (tech) feature for torps too, however I think it would be best if these are only effective after the target has been fully identified, because in order to effectively set magnetic detonators you will need to know the draught of a ship. Fully identifying a target before would simulate that the running depth of the torpedo can correctly set to be slightly below the ship's hull.

BuOrd has entered the chat.

• Like 1

Hello! I understand that the question may have already been asked, but... Is it planned to arrange the ships on the tactical map before the start of the battle? (By analogy, for example, with the Total War series). Thank you for everything you do! This is already the best naval game ever!

• Like 3

v105 was a very big update and this one even bigger, seems like alot of things suddenly got moved up the order and completed. Got a few extra staff! I guess what this means is that all things/features are possible. Especially ways to improve on RTW2 inspiration, lets face it RTW2 diplomacy is as basic as it comes (player side).

Some suggestions for ‘Alliances’ part of diplomacy, e.g. Player to influence tension/events by manual input (nonautomated events), player to add events as and when they see fit. Could be limited by a required currency. RTW2 can only do this with spies and only by chance of thee.

While proposing a ‘defence pack’ might be the most obvious agreement, or as one might put it, a mutual trade, there are other forms of proposing peace or ‘trading peace’ or trading tension. And ‘defence packs’ might be rejected or should be if there's no 'buttering up' beforehand. 

Trading peace e.g.

• Trading/giving ‘ports’.               
  • Trading/giving ships.
  • Trading/giving funds.
  • Trading/giving technology.
  • Etc, all in-game materials.

All to influence tension manually or by player input, so we choose who ally with.

Edited by Skeksis

On 4/22/2022 at 6:26 PM, Nick Thomadis said:
  • New Special Gun Calibers: A new design panel will allow you to edit the diameter and length of the gun barrels which will affect the gun statistics and their actual size on the ship. So, for example, you will be able to have calibers such as 13.5 inch for your guns before you research the next bigger 14 inch caliber. The variations of designs now will become extremely enriched, as each ship will look different also on the gun scales.

I know that I have requested this before (on the discord server), but I would like to mention this again because it now relates to a new feature. Could we be able to pick the graphic for guns? At the moment if you want to design a specific ship (take Vanguard) you may have issues with the guns you would like to use due to wrong looking designs. In Vanguard's case it is a 1940s style British gun, great for modern builds, and access to it is lovely, but it would be nice to be able to have access to different gun graphics.

Other than that great job with the game, and I very much enjoy playing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kineuhansen said:

cool one thing i would love to see in next update are more cruiser design  for the british special superstructures like the hms norfolk or hms yorkHMS Norfolk | Heavy cruiser, Navy ships, CruisersPin em Okręty

I wouldn't mind them reworking the new Brittish Hulls for Dread 3-5, and adding the bridge over the main battery

I have some suggestion, it may not be for this update, but it could be for the next one. Adding news and agents tabs.

Agents Tab: will be able to hiring an agent(with a cost and upkeep) and that agent can to do the following: spy, counter-spy and sabotage.

Spy- it will steal enemy designs so it can be faster to ID the enemy ship in battle, it will show the economy and the unrest;

Sabotage- it will slow down the building/repair/refit ship processing, research(if the community agree) and slow down the upgrade of the shipyard;

Counter-spy- it will protect the nation of other agents.

For each missions it will have different costs and the agents may be executed/killed by other nation agent or capture.

News Tab: it will show the transport's sinking reason(if is by raiding, weather or ignored missions) and place, it will show the info of battles(like crew loss, ships loss and status) and it will show events like diplomacy(war, cease fire and alliance), trading agreements, agents capture/dead/executed, ports damaged and a nation revolution or admiralty change.

If the community agrees with this features, this suggestion will be up, if the community don't like them, just ignore these features

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/22/2022 at 6:26 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello Admirals,

After the last major update which we hope you enjoy it, we started to work on the next major features. We can now share a confirmed list of the next very important new features, which you also have asked many times from us. 

• Long campaign with peacetime periods: This was actually a planned and expected feature of the campaign. On the current WIP map you will be able to start from your selected year without instant wars. New tension mechanics and special events will trigger diplomacy effects. Alliances will be formed and different wars will be fought throughout decades of gameplay.

• New detailed Citadel: The damage model becomes upgraded with a far more detailed armoring system. The way you layout out your guns and funnels will affect the length of the citadel (the armored box covered by the main belt and deck) and you will be able to view it in the ship preview during the design process.

So it will be now fully realistic to create Nelson type ships which save weight due to the shortening of the armored citadel. Moreover, the hull weight and strength in each section will be dependent from the way you choose to layout your main guns as well as the center of its mass. For example, the sections in the middle will be significantly stronger and more resistant against damage than the lighter sections at the edges of the ship. Finally, you will be able to add an extra multi-layered armor in the citadel and choose independently its values according to the components enabled "All or Nothing", "Turtleback" etc.

• New Special Gun Calibers: A new design panel will allow you to edit the diameter and length of the gun barrels which will affect the gun statistics and their actual size on the ship. So, for example, you will be able to have calibers such as 13.5 inch for your guns before you research the next bigger 14 inch caliber. The variations of designs now will become extremely enriched, as each ship will look different also on the gun scales.
  • Dud Torpedoes: Torpedoes will not be as successful as now but will detonate and damage ships according to their angle of impact and their technology. You may have torpedoes to not explode on impact or explode prematurely with new visual effects.

Many more will be added, which we will share as soon as we arrive closer to the release of the next update.

Thank you for reading!
The Game - Labs Team

And Spain?

I most say, that until recently, I have not played the game. I got it at the same time Age of Sails and play some early naval academy missions, but put the game aside waiting for the campaign. I saw a campaign being played in YouTube,so I decided to jumpback into the game. And besides saying this is a game that I have been looking for a long time and what it offers so far is excellent and extremely enjoyable; I am going to borrow a quote from a Civil war admiral.....

Damm the torpedos!

Playing the German in 1940, I started good, won couple of battles against the Brits and French. But on my first fleet engagement, I lost the Bismarck to a wall of torpedos. I think the AI relies too much on the torpedo spam... maybe is me, but for the next update, maybe some tweaking on the torpedo spam, would be great.

Otherwise, I am not the only one borrowing that famous naval history qoute.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, Drenzul said:

@Nick Thomadis
2 big things - Large towers make a lot of ship designs impossible.
Particularly annoying are the towers with extra funnel slots on the back/front
when you don't need that funnel slot. Need a way to at least remove that big.

Turret scales also need to be done asap so 2x turrets aren't the same size as 4x turrets.

I run into issues when using sliders to make narrow hulls.. towers don't fit anymore. Possible to add part modifiers so they could be scaled as well?

Seriously looking forward to the caliber adjustments whoo HOO!! 

Edited by Admiral Unterhosen
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:57 PM, Candle_86 said:

length is displacement, you can go for more with draft and beam

Current length customization isn't anything close to current draft and beam customization. 

First of all, current length isn't continuous like draft and beam. Instead of scaling the hull, it adds new sections in hulls. Want to add an extra few meters on to the length without increasing a whole step? Well hello kitty you, you don't get to do that. 

Second, current length doesn't affect any stats except displacement (and the engine power needed for a certain speed because of that displacement). That's it. Draft and Beam affect most of a ship's stats, length barely affects anything except being a free "put more stuff on your ship" slider.

Third, current length is not saved in the save files. Draft and beam can be edited in the save files to create larger than normal designs, meaning I can make a 30-30 monster BB which seems more appropriate for a game where 20 inch guns look small on some hulls. If this could be extended to length, we could make real ships with highly streamlined length to beam ratios instead of the stubby, fat ships we currently have in the game.

If we could stretch our ships in the length independently of displacement, the same way we can currently do with draft and beam, it would open up so many more options than we currently have.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, vyprestrike said:

length barely affects anything except being a free "put more stuff on your ship" slider.

Yeah. And worse part - if you find good proportions but want add some lenght for space, it can suddenly add whole section. So need deal with width or heigh instead.

So I noticed by looking at the save file that right now a country can have -1.0 wealth, and -1 growth and be basically bankrupted which of course ends the game, will this still occur in 1.06, and if so how do you recover if your the player and end up this way? 

If peace time is implemented it would be awesome but i do have problem with technology gain, i really hope this will be balanced

Also Austro Hungary (only country i play) really need more hulls, especialy unique ones and ones that would allow for more freedom

Towers with space for funnels are infuriating and are a sign of certain problem with hulls

Those things were specificly designed for a class of ships, sometimes for 1 ship, having them in other places have no sense.

1890 ships have alot of waisted space becouse they are very specific in which design shouls be allowed and anything beside it is just wrong. It needs to change

Give total component weight please, i really doubt sonnar could weight over 1k tones in BB

also please

show some imagination with styles, make things that are not based on any built ship but rather on something possible like thunderchild, also please give us late hulls that have resonable dissplacement for bb like 19-34k tones...

• Like 2

This all looks awesome. But I have one concern with research: We should be able to have higher variety in our gun propellants. Right now it is actually likely, not just possible to get soft-locked into Cordite III since it tends to show up before Tube Powder II and obsoletes any other previous propellant tech. It's minor, but fixing it for the campaign where it essentially soft-locks your ability to refit ships with lower flash fire protection would be great.