Game-Labs Forum

What's coming next (v1.06) *UPDATE 28/5/2022*

Nick Thomadis

"New detailed Citadel: The damage model becomes upgraded with a far more detailed armoring system. The way you layout out your guns and funnels will affect the length of the citadel (the armored box covered by the main belt and deck) and you will be able to view it in the ship preview during the design process."

Amazing!!! Thank you!

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:
  •  
  • New Special Gun Calibers: A new design panel will allow you to edit the diameter and length of the gun barrels which will affect the gun statistics and their actual size on the ship. So, for example, you will be able to have calibers such as 13.5 inch for your guns before you research the next bigger 14 inch caliber. The variations of designs now will become extremely enriched, as each ship will look different also on the gun scales.

This sounds familiar...

How precise will the customization be, large or small increments?

Either way just these sound absolutely fantastic

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello Admirals,

After the last major update which we hope you enjoy it, we started to work on the next major features. We can now share a confirmed list of the next very important new features, which you also have asked many times from us. 

• Long campaign with peacetime periods: This was actually a planned and expected feature of the campaign. On the current WIP map you will be able to start from your selected year without instant wars. New tension mechanics and special events will trigger diplomacy effects. Alliances will be formed and different wars will be fought throughout decades of gameplay.

• New detailed Citadel: The damage model becomes upgraded with a far more detailed armoring system. The way you layout out your guns and funnels will affect the length of the citadel (the armored box covered by the main belt and deck) and you will be able to view it in the ship preview during the design process.

So it will be now fully realistic to create Nelson type ships which save weight due to the shortening of the armored citadel. Moreover, the hull weight and strength in each section will be dependent from the way you choose to layout your main guns as well as the center of its mass. For example, the sections in the middle will be significantly stronger and more resistant against damage than the lighter sections at the edges of the ship. Finally, you will be able to add an extra multi-layered armor in the citadel and choose independently its values according to the components enabled "All or Nothing", "Turtleback" etc.

• New Special Gun Calibers: A new design panel will allow you to edit the diameter and length of the gun barrels which will affect the gun statistics and their actual size on the ship. So, for example, you will be able to have calibers such as 13.5 inch for your guns before you research the next bigger 14 inch caliber. The variations of designs now will become extremely enriched, as each ship will look different also on the gun scales.

Many more will be added, which we will share as soon as we arrive closer to the release of the next update.

Thank you for reading!
The Game - Labs Team

So so happy to see this, amazing stuff

• Like 1

Awesome! That customizable barrel caliber and incremental width for guns was my main suggestion in those suggestion threads, glad to see this is getting implemented. Is it just .5 inch increments, or is it more like .1 inch increments? And whats the range of caliber, 30 to 60?

Viewable and customizable citadels are great too, in the 30s to 40 i usually build battleships with 2 superfireing triple turets up front, potential accuracy at that point in time is generally high enough not to need a lot of guns, I'll really be able to minmax now.

I hope in the campaign you can make your own alliances and could find yourself at war with anyone. is Spain and Russia also going to become playable?

• Like 1

• Long campaign with peacetime periods: 

Nice

• New detailed Citadel: 

Super Nice, hopefully now armoring the citadels makes more sense. Right now it seems like you can give your warships 20 inch belts (i.e. thicker than yamato) with no real problems but god help you if you try to put a citadel on your warships. 

• New Special Gun Calibers: 

I'm guessing your doing some kind of interpolation between the stats of the guns?
    How would this work in the context of the tech tree? Do you unlock 'Ranges' of calibers? i.e. 13<=X<14  etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

New Special Gun Calibers: A new design panel will allow you to edit the diameter and length of the gun barrels which will affect the gun statistics and their actual size on the ship. So, for example, you will be able to have calibers such as 13.5 inch for your guns before you research the next bigger 14 inch caliber. The variations of designs now will become extremely enriched, as each ship will look different also on the gun scales.

This is great. I still think we should be able to customize the gun house and the gun itself. Right now in most cases, the single gun turret is the exact same size as its double or triple guns turret except for some low caliber 5-6inch guns. Having the ability to modify the turret house would be great, we could have a larger turret house with less guns but more space for better loading system or longer shells, etc. all affecting the ship performance and hull integrity or whatnot. Is it feasible to develop such system?

• Like 2

Really excited to hear about the special gun calibers addition. Looking forward to this next update.

A related question: will the models for some cruiser turrets (again, late-period Japanese heavy cruiser turrets come to mind immediately) be re-done? 

• Like 1

Please more focus on ironclad era, more hulls, turrets (correct french turrets), authentic gun calibers.. 

And more important - torpedoes needs serious rework. Less accurate, no spamming.

Maybe add more scenarios start options - 1895, 1905? I love pre-dreadhnout ships and battles, hate torpedoes:)

Edited by mk4m
  • Like 3

If i could make one suggestion it would be to give triple expanion and nickle steel at 1890, both where known by this time, Iron over wood was 1860's, and Compound of Steel over Iron was mid 1870's, by 1885 Nickle Steel was a thing, though not harvey yet. Also Mk 0 Main guns, in 1890 we had some navies still using breechloading guns of sizes up to 16in, with the RML 16in in Brittish service, you could give them a ROF of say the 16in as 5minutes between shots but deadly if it hits, and similar for smaller Mk0 guns, just an idea

Edited by Candle_86
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Will we also get barbettes that (automatically) match with the size of the guns? I hate to see (especially for the AI) the use of overly sized barbettes to mount guns. 

• Like 2

New feature confirmed!

Dud Torpedoes: Torpedoes will not be as successful as now but will detonate and damage ships according to their angle of impact and their technology. You may have torpedoes to not explode on impact or explode prematurely with new visual effects.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

15 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Is it just .5 inch increments, or is it more like .1 inch increments? And whats the range of caliber, 30 to 60?

Diameter of barrels will be incremental from initial size to 0.9 increase with 0.1 step. So for example, you can have 5.9 inch guns on Destroyers.

The length of the barrel, as of now, will span from -20% to 20% of initial size.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Nick Thomadisyay fukll length campaigns. cant wait. as to the rest they sound really cool although in free play i can see a few super wacky stuff like low claiber super loing guns lol. will be an interesting set of mechanics to play with. the torpedoes not being perfect everytime will heavily change up how i and other build our fleets i feel which is great.

on a seperate note i know i keep asking this but how are you and the team? is everyone that can be safe safe? how are you families etc?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

New feature confirmed!

Dud Torpedoes: Torpedoes will not be as successful as now but will detonate and damage ships according to their angle of impact and their technology. You may have torpedoes to not explode on impact or explode prematurely with new visual effects.

will my ships that have torps set to safe still fire torps at horrendous angles, or will they launch for a 80-90 degree approach? And will we have the options for impact or magnetic detonators?

• Like 2

I'm a bit skeptical about "Dud torpedos" because that has the potential to feel really frustrating. But we will see.

The main course is of course that the campaign could "finally" reaches its form where long term planing will make a difference. I wonder if they also rework peace offers since it doesn't seem to be actually implemented for a country to lose a province.

@Nick Thomadis
2 big things - Large towers make a lot of ship designs impossible.
Particularly annoying are the towers with extra funnel slots on the back/front
when you don't need that funnel slot. Need a way to at least remove that big.

Turret scales also need to be done asap so 2x turrets aren't the same size as 4x turrets.

• Like 1

Loving the new upcoming features, especially the longer campaign and dud torpedoes as the ai somehow has an obsession with launching waves upon waves of them. Would like to see Spain being added in a future as a playable nation as it's weird sending my fleets round the coast of Spain without there being a nation there. Ottomans/Turkey would also be an interesting addition as it makes fighting for control of the medditeranian more interesting.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 1:26 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello Admirals,

After the last major update which we hope you enjoy it, we started to work on the next major features. We can now share a confirmed list of the next very important new features, which you also have asked many times from us. 

• Long campaign with peacetime periods: This was actually a planned and expected feature of the campaign. On the current WIP map you will be able to start from your selected year without instant wars. New tension mechanics and special events will trigger diplomacy effects. Alliances will be formed and different wars will be fought throughout decades of gameplay.

• New detailed Citadel: The damage model becomes upgraded with a far more detailed armoring system. The way you layout out your guns and funnels will affect the length of the citadel (the armored box covered by the main belt and deck) and you will be able to view it in the ship preview during the design process.

So it will be now fully realistic to create Nelson type ships which save weight due to the shortening of the armored citadel. Moreover, the hull weight and strength in each section will be dependent from the way you choose to layout your main guns as well as the center of its mass. For example, the sections in the middle will be significantly stronger and more resistant against damage than the lighter sections at the edges of the ship. Finally, you will be able to add an extra multi-layered armor in the citadel and choose independently its values according to the components enabled "All or Nothing", "Turtleback" etc.

• Dud Torpedoes: Torpedoes will not be as successful as now but will detonate and damage ships according to their angle of impact and their technology. You may have torpedoes to not explode on impact or explode prematurely with new visual effects.

Many more will be added, which we will share as soon as we arrive closer to the release of the next update.

Thank you for reading!
The Game - Labs Team

any idea on roughly when we can expect these features to be in a beta build?

• Like 1