Game-Labs Forum

>>> Update v1.05 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

Hi, just want to ditto the sentiment that when creating your own fleet, you have far too little spending money. I included a little excel snippet comparing the results of me starting an "auto generated fleet" campaign in 1940 (left) and the total spending money I had from 2 separate "custom" fleet 1940 starts (right). All were done on normal difficulty.uadeconpain.png.5be06acb7ed0413b57065bd8fe3c125a.png

I do have screenshots as source for all these values, don't want to spam 10 pictures when a summary would show the situation much better. The quantity of ships does not include 3 BB, 6 CA, and 1 DD that were at various stages of completion. The tests done for custom fleets do not include the one game I actually tried to play, I just did not screenshot so I am not including them.

The current total funds that the auto generated fleet seem to be in line with the total funds for custom fleets pre-patch which were usually between 2.5B-3.5B.

The campaign I tried to play, I was able to build a single 350M BB and single 250M BC with maybe 100-200M leftover. Before someone reeeee's at me for having too expensive ships and brushes off the actual issue, that's how I've played since I got the game 100 hours ago. I will regularly have 10-20 ships against the 100+ in the Mediterranean. The proof is there that playing with a custom fleet cuts off about 2/3rds of what you'd get with an auto generated fleet. I would be happy to gather more evidence if that is what is needed to resolve this because it is quite frankly not very fun this way. Even if you build cheap ships, you can only get a fraction of what the auto-gen player fleet or AI get.

thanks for coming to my ted talk pls let me have my 10 BB/BC only fleets again

may edit more later, power may go off soon

Edited by TheAtomicGerbil
storm passed, cleaned up post and added more info
  • Like 8

I will say the smaller ships are MUCH harder to kill for some reason.  I watched a DD take super heavy 16" Nose fuse shell after shell racking up damage but never sinking.  I also saw it only take very little damage from them as well.  I know you might say well a Nose fuse shell isn't capable of going thru much armor but I am sorry.  If a DD with an inch or two of plate gets hit by a 1900lb 16" shell unless that shell is set to instantaneous it's going to penetrate simply due to sheer physics.  I pounded on CLs and CAs and they seemed to take just as much damage as the BBs did.

It also looks like my ships are riding a horse (Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy) is that a result of the "Pitch" being high (Mid 40s for this particular design) if so I am not sure I would agree that's what results from a ship being evenly balanced fore and aft just heavy on both ends.  

• Like 1

Yall underestimate how cheap the AI builds ships. I'm always shocked--they're often around half of the cheapest design I'm comfortable with. The starting cash is even--it's just that the AI takes a very different approach from most players

• Like 2

On that note, it would be nice to have an "intel" report before designing ships--I often find I've made a way too capable (armed, armored, and fast) battleship compared to what my foes are bringing to the table. If they're running around with 12" belts & 14" guns, I don't need a 18"x9 monster w/ armor to match (on the other hand, if they've got 18" guns....)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lastreaumont said:

I'd like to give to the AI my congratulations for the creation of this very efficient CL (1930):

jag2.jpg

Lovers or torpedo cruisers will probably scream strongly.  😄😄😄😄

I didn't take screenshot of the multi crossed salvos launched by a group of 4 of these CL because I was too concentrate to try dodge them. The worst torpedoes swarm I ever see. The ability of this cruiser to launch small salvoes instead of a big one is very efficient. 

Basically every single CL and CA i encounter at 1920+ is like this. Negligible guns and insane unholy amounts of torpedoes. I think this is a feature to give AI some fighting chance because it can't design the cruisers and the torpedoes are the most unrealistic thing in this game with how absolutely reliable they are.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Drenzul said:

Does anyone willingly use torp tubes? 

Most of my designs have at least a pair of torpedo launchers because I noticed the AI seems to approach more carefully if you have torps than if you don't. And I need time to damage them before they come too close, especially during the first battles of a campaign, when the crews have no skill. 

But using torps as main weaponery, no. The AI is too efficient to dodge them. 

The new update is great, personally I like the low starting money it make the campaign more interesting as even as Great Britian in 1920 Germany was able to blockade me after a few month when most of my fleet was in repair. Could it be an option for the campaign what the starting money for you and the AI is?

The AI ship designer is definitely improved, but still puts lots of secondary's of a range of calibers on often with low armour values especially on battleships which makes it easy to sink them. Its almost that the AI trys to make every battle ship using a dreadnought hail of fire approach.

2 hours ago, Lastreaumont said:

But using torps as main weaponery, no. The AI is too efficient to dodge them. 

A well co-ordinated mass torpedo strike works wonders, the AI is very efficient at dodging in skirmishes, but in large engagements they are pretty poor.
I find 1920 and 1940 campaigns to be dominated by effective use of torpedoes, which is a testament to just how absolutely bonkers they are right now, with how easy it is to just cover hulls in torpedoes for relatively little cost.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, neph said:

Yall underestimate how cheap the AI builds ships. I'm always shocked--they're often around half of the cheapest design I'm comfortable with. The starting cash is even--it's just that the AI takes a very different approach from most players

The starting cash is NOT even.  Autogenerated fleets get at least 1.5 times more cash, and usually about double.  My observed range is 1.56-2.06, with most being about 1.9.  This requires that player ships be significantly better, and ensures short campaigns.

• Like 6

@Nick Thomadis about the AI auto targeting. I am the first to say there were big improvements in the recent versions. However, some strange situations still happen sometimes.

PtaYG3q.jpg

AI BC targeting a CL at 11 km away. There are 2 BBs and 1 BC between him and the CL, but the AI prefers to target the CL. Ok strange, but if that wasn't enough...

wy3335R.jpg

There is another CL behind him, doing a torpedo run against him. 5 km away from him.

PDd1Mlq.jpg

Didn't end well for him.

sLsXyea.jpg

And in the same battle, another tunnel vision. Now against my DD. When near him..

p8QzHQ2.jpg

Again at 5km away. My CL sails without fear. lucky for him i don't have more torpedoes.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

Ouch...

wueSFut.jpg

9  BBs; 3 BCs; 14 CAs; 3 CLs and 5 DDs.

Now this happens IMO because the A-H empire only have 3 ports. Ok, but there is one thing strange here. I know my ships are faster,  except against the enemy DDs. But i can't withdraw. Is the 5 DDs enough to force me to battle? How it works this mechanic?

wSqQ4A6.jpg

ht9qmY9.jpg

2oxshTM.jpg

And my fleets stayed in port in the 1st turn by mistake. So I played one turn. Had two battles and the campaign ended.

Note there are some errors in the summary.

Enemy ship lost 2 BB; 2BC, etc... In my 2nd battle, I sunk 3 BB and 3 BC, so there is something missing here. Also, the numbers about crew lost are also not right.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, o Barão said:

Ouch...

9  BBs; 3 BCs; 14 CAs; 3 CLs and 5 DDs.

Now this happens IMO because the A-H empire only have 3 ports. Ok, but there is one thing strange here. I know my ships are faster,  except against the enemy DDs. But i can't withdraw. Is the 5 DDs enough to force me to battle? How it works this mechanic?

And my fleets stayed in port in the 1st turn by mistake. So I played one turn. Had two battles and the campaign ended.

Note there are some errors in the summary.

Enemy ship lost 2 BB; 2BC, etc... In my 2nd battle, I sunk 3 BB and 3 BC, so there is something missing here. Also, the numbers about crew lost are also not right.

It's not only A-H, those battles happen for everyone and ports have nothing to do with it. They are extremely painful because i can never withdraw and never win because they happen since very beginning and my crew can't hit anything because cadets. They happen even if i don't move any ships, i had some that are 1 my ship vs 20 theirs. Fortunately autoresolve sometimes let my ships survive.

On a side effect if you do win, you can literally win the campaign in 2 turns.

It's like enemy admirality was space orks doing WAAAAAGH. I guess that was Warboss von Tirpitz strategy all along.

• Like 3

Would it be possible to tone down the enemy Task Force spam it is getting rather painful to fight a Battle of Tsushima every couple months.

There is barely any chance to improve ship designs and refit at the moment since you get pulled into decisive Battles every other Month.

Also it's rather straining commanding Task Forces of this scale halfway decently.

Could you also please make changes to the German Battleship III pre dreadnought hull since with the new MKII guns only 10inch guns fit in front of the Advanced Tower which is suboptimal for Germanys best pre dreadnought Hull.

20220416123254_1.thumb.jpg.31f39a619990c6a060c5eb1da1b7eb9c.jpg

Edited by Marcus
  • Like 3

I've had some decreases in performance (loading time, especially when starting a new game and ending turns) over the last few hotpatches. Sometimes a new turn can take 5 seconds, other times it can take upwards of a few minutes. 

My computer hardware is pretty capable and I don't really get much lag in battles, so I'm not sure what's causing this.

• Like 1

Destroyer hulls seem excessively tanky once again, this hull is crippled sure but it took 3x 19-inch mark 2 torpedoes in quick succession and is still in remarkable condition all things considered, that is enough to outright sink a cruiser in my experience, or cripple battleships with strong anti-torpedo protection.image.thumb.jpeg.dc8b9359d6a4b3b99904bf97c3aabbda.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suts said:

it took 3x 19-inch mark 2 torpedoes in quick succession 

If torps hit the same place ( i see only 3 blue sectons, so it happened) they do almost nothing. You should hit defferent places.

And look like this BB killed by flash fire, not by just single torpedo hit.

I'm a little bit stumped & probably just missing something but maybe someone will be kind enough to catch my mistake.

The last few campaigns I've run (the screenshots are from a AH 1940 campaign) I've noticed that when enemy torpedoes hit my CLs, it will do several times the damage of the same torpedoes hitting any other ship type - even the poor little DDs.

The attached screenshots are from a DD and CL caught in the same torpedo spam - the difference in damage from a single torpedo hit seems staggering. But they've got the same reinforced bulkheads, same triple hull bottom, and the CL has even more armor and Citadel tech, so I'm not sure what's going on here. CL was the "Modern Light Cruiser" hull and the DD was the "Modern Destroyer" but IIRC not the "Leader" type.

I started noticing it during one of the last couple 1.05 beta patches - my CLs went from being pretty useful counter-DDs to being incredibly vulnerable to torps. But I didn't see anybody complain about this, so I'm wondering if it's by design?

20220416202904_1.jpg

20220416202906_1.jpg

20220416202911_1.jpg

20220416202912_1.jpg

20220416202914_1.jpg

20220416202900_1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dave P. said:

I'm a little bit stumped & probably just missing something but maybe someone will be kind enough to catch my mistake.

The last few campaigns I've run (the screenshots are from a AH 1940 campaign) I've noticed that when enemy torpedoes hit my CLs, it will do several times the damage of the same torpedoes hitting any other ship type - even the poor little DDs.

The attached screenshots are from a DD and CL caught in the same torpedo spam - the difference in damage from a single torpedo hit seems staggering. But they've got the same reinforced bulkheads, same triple hull bottom, and the CL has even more armor and Citadel tech, so I'm not sure what's going on here. CL was the "Modern Light Cruiser" hull and the DD was the "Modern Destroyer" but IIRC not the "Leader" type.

I started noticing it during one of the last couple 1.05 beta patches - my CLs went from being pretty useful counter-DDs to being incredibly vulnerable to torps. But I didn't see anybody complain about this, so I'm wondering if it's by design?

20220416202904_1.jpg

20220416202906_1.jpg

20220416202911_1.jpg

20220416202912_1.jpg

20220416202914_1.jpg

20220416202900_1.jpg

During 1.04 I had a fleet action with about 7 or 8 modern CL, all of which were sunk because they would  be reliably one shot by torpedoes.  I don't remember the specifics but fragile CL seem to have been a thing for a while now.  I think it's that hull specifically, but DDs too are pretty tanky against torps

• Like 3

I am getting a lot of lock ups lately where I have to restart the game.  Usually when it's about to flash a message or something.  Also, something is off with the amount of damage being inflicted (Or taken) watching a DD take 10+ 16" super heavy hits and just keep coming? 

Okay, so I have played three campaigns as the Italians (1890, 1910, 1920), and I have not seen a single enemy transport in Convoy missions. What happens is that I run into the enemy warships, sink them, and the mission ends instantly before I can hunt down and destroy the TRs, if they were even on the map to begin with.

• Like 1