Game-Labs Forum

Feature request: Allow options/sliders for campaign to radically reduce amount of encounters.

rgreat

Allow options/sliders for campaign to radically reduce amount of encounters.

Playing 1890 campaign.

I have 3-5 encounters per month, which is getting repetitive and tedious

Only a year passed, but most of the enemy fleets are wiped out with these many encounters. 

Not even a single research is complete, but I feel like I'm already win. Not much space for progression.

I would be also glad if extra sliders for economy/research/ship costs/maintenance costs would be implemented.

P.S. In reality, in WW1 it was not so much fleet activity.

Edited by rgreat
forgot caption
  • Like 3

Yea I agree, it was broke early in 1.05 when we didnt get any encounters, but now I'm getting so many I've had all my ships in repair at the same time at this point, and some really stupid AI, like Germany used 6 torpedo boats to do a port strike where I had 4BB's, 9CA, 11 CL, and 4TB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you have to keep in mind that the continous campaign isnt there yet. Speaking from my own perspective, I envision it will be more paced then: You have a peace time where you still plan and build (especially your capital) ships. And then there is wartime where ships still get done but its a frantic fight.

Immagine a BB planed with newest tech and laid down before the war, getting done during, then doing som great heavy lifting but ultimately get lost due to a unfortunate hit that caused a speed drop and getting overwhelmed. Now since you win the war, you demand a modern surviving enemy battleship as reparation (I did see that in 1.04 at the end of a campaign- awesome!) as a plug-gap in the mean time, as you just finished researching tech that enables the next gen of BB, but which will be built but natually will not be available for another 2-3 years.

Also I played Fighting Steel, which I am comparing this a lot to, and there you could go 3-4 Months at a time out of a 2 year campaign wihtout any encounter ........ trust me, its not great

And for last: Keep in mind that these encounters are ..... lets call it opportunities - as in "you dont have to, if you dont want too". Lately I have been cranking up the difficulty, and I have been skipping not only Jutland style massive battles that would take 2 houres or more to do (and that I dont find fun) and end the campaign very fast, but also things like this:

.545451541541.png.677313752776fbd3368cb7e6a3ee6b91.png

That heavy cruiser of mine is a mini dreadnought with a 4 x 2 11" broadside but 3 battlecruiser 2 of which will be sitting right next to the convoy? How about NO!

But no big deal, I just dont attack. Thankfully the game doesnt always force you to ......

>>>>>>>>Playing 1890 campaign. + P.S. In reality, in WW1 it was not so much fleet activity.

You gotta think broader: If you are playing 1890 than Russo-Japanese war would be more apropiate. And that one had way more engagments than just Tsushima.

Next, do you want a realistic game? You probably dont. Take Jutland, roughly 1 out 20 ships that "participated" got sunk. Immagine building a fleet for houres, having 60 ships, loosing 3 and thats basically it for your campaign because you or the AI sits in port until it says you lost or you won.

I really do like the hypothetic aproach with endles replayability, no CVs, and actualy naval battles that really do invoke an Iron Buttom Sound vibe instead of a probably more sound representation.

>>>>>>>>>and some really stupid AI, like Germany used 6 torpedo boats to do a port strike where I had 4BB's, 9CA, 11 CL, and 4TB.

You gotta use your immagination here, and frankly that happened. It could be like the St. Nazaire Raid to destroy docking infrastructure or like during the Russo-Japanese war during the fight for port Arthurs when a Japanese DD attack was largely ineffective except the damage they did to two modern russian BBs.

Or maybe think of the larger scale war going, you are just handling the naval side. Maybe it was a supply effort that turned battle like Tassafaronga (8 supply DDs vs 4 CA, 1 CL and 6 DDs ..... and the CAs got torped to shit).

Like I said, use your immagination and cut the game some slack. I appreciate that they actually have more encounters than "ships meet" and "convoy" and even with some flavour text (like in the pic above, which is great). Ofc that can be expanded but there is probably a lot of work to do, so not a priority I immagine. 

On 4/20/2022 at 6:29 AM, havaduck said:

Next, do you want a realistic game? You probably dont. Take Jutland, roughly 1 out 20 ships that "participated" got sunk. Immagine building a fleet for houres, having 60 ships, loosing 3 and thats basically it for your campaign because you or the AI sits in port until it says you lost or you won.

You have to achieve a golden middle. Not too much, not too little. 

That's why I want "options/sliders". So I could adjust this one to fit my tastes.

Did you try Jutland from SES?

https://store.stormeaglestudios.com/product/133/jutland

They managed to do it more or less right in campaign there.

P.S. It is actually the best naval game I played, since Great Naval Battles series.