Game-Labs Forum

Remove pointless blocks.

Point is, see above.

Firstly, we should always be able to use something that's "obsolete. At worst, have a option to auto hide obsolete things, but let us use them.  No "cannot build, obsolete ship" or taunting us with"obsolete" modules.   It will not be obsolete to everyone.  Not to mention the fun screw aroundability it would add, say a Pre dreadnought only 1940 campaign.  Or a sorta refit system for custom battles using this.

Secondly, I should always be able to place something unless there is physically not the room.  These new hulls, while great, don't get me wrong, are exactly my point.  I don't always want to make a replica of a historical ship.  Let me make some disgusting nelson style Omaha if I want.  Instead, the game just says "no, you can't put it there" for no discernible reason at all.  Would it really be catastrophic if I put the superstructure a few more inches back?

And, the "X amount of Y" required needs to be eradicated.  The secondary tower is secondary.  I should be able to say I'm willing to bite the bullet and go without one.  I should also be able to throw all my tonnage into a single invincible 20" gun if I want to.

I should be able to select the mark of the weapon I use. 

And somewhat related, we badly need some sort of superstructure designer, and selecting turret housing.

And finally, we should be able to design ships larger then our docks.  We see a lot of times that the question of the ship comes before the question of actually supporting the ship.  H Class, Tillman, Sovetsky Soyuz, etc.  No harm in keeping a design for later, the blueprints don't have to be burned.

Edit: Initially this was strictly for the designer but that was initially.

Battle timer, this should be relegated to academy missions only.  Especially with how the battle doesn't matter at all- "A heated, decisive fleet action is underway?  Well, timer says otherwise."

Why.

Less pointless, less unreasonable then others, but being able to build overweight ships to a bit of a degree should definitely be a thing, with the obvious penalties.

Always being forced into fights.  Now, one surefire way to piss the living hell out of me off is when I'm completely helpless against something.

"We have the chance to ambush a enemy BB!  Should we attack?". No, you shouldn't.  Nope, game forces me to attack.  Can I atleast order a new ship before I start the battle? Nope, game doesn't let me close the battle screen.  Can't I delay it or withdraw?  Nope, it's disabled for some reason or RNG decides it fails.  (Honestly, how often does it actually succeed?). So I auto resolve and pray RNG doesn't screw me over

Send a fleet home.. and the next turn I get a port strike battle on the entire other side of the Italian peninsula.  "Our supremacy sent us close to a enemy port!". WHY?  I SENT YOU HOME.  WHY CANT I JUST DELAY OR WITHDRAW.

If I have a battle, unless it is some sort of ambush or straggle, I should ALWAYS be able to deny them.  I should always be able to atleast sightsee around the map before I start a fight.

I am going to take a chill pill now.

Edited by slightlytreasonous
  • Like 12

Agreed.  More design freedom.  I've argued in ship customization that tower bonuses should not be tied to the tower model, but rather a tower model should offer space to install ship abilities and a maximum capability to each of those abilities.  I'd also love to see sidegrades, rather than just up/down-grades.  There's a lot this game is missing in terms of freedom to customize designs.

• Like 6

Look at the original premise of the game seen in the trailer video. Then compare to the system we have now. It's like a completely different game no?

Not being able to place towers and/or guns because there's a few lifeboats in the way is just annoying, being limited to a strict layout of casemates is the same. Somehow we have so many options for customisation and it still feels locked down and restricted. Rather than being limited to modifying historical hulls, we should be able to construct the hull from the keel up if we choose to

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spitfire_97 said:

Look at the original premise of the game seen in the trailer video. Then compare to the system we have now. It's like a completely different game no?

Not being able to place towers and/or guns because there's a few lifeboats in the way is just annoying, being limited to a strict layout of casemates is the same. Somehow we have so many options for customisation and it still feels locked down and restricted. Rather than being limited to modifying historical hulls, we should be able to construct the hull from the keel up if we choose to

The game feels so 1d it hurts.  Battles, ship design, "fog of war".  Everything.

I could write an essay on what could be improved or added, and I almost have, and I still might. In fact I nearly did for this comment.

All that is to say we need fundamental changes.  A few more hulls to pick from gets stale much faster then a bit more dynamic battles.  Like beam/draft.  That's amazing because I'm always going to use it, even if I don't explicitly love it.  A new hull, less so, because I won't always use it, especially if I don't like it much.

Edited by slightlytreasonous
  • Like 4

I wish every tower was available for Dreadnaughts at least, because lets be honest we have the hulls but we can't build the right ship because the right secondary tower is only available for Dreadnought IV but i need it on II.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:28 AM, slightlytreasonous said:

The game feels so 1d it hurts.  Battles, ship design, "fog of war".  Everything.

I could write an essay on what could be improved or added, and I almost have, and I still might. In fact I nearly did for this comment.

All that is to say we need fundamental changes.  A few more hulls to pick from gets stale much faster then a bit more dynamic battles.  Like beam/draft.  That's amazing because I'm always going to use it, even if I don't explicitly love it.  A new hull, less so, because I won't always use it, especially if I don't like it much.

You shouldn't be so harsh. Keep in mind this game has a tiny development team, and is the first game to combine ship design with realistic combat and 3d graphics. This game already has far more sandbox content and replayability than most other sandbox RTS games. I'm thankful that we have it.

To put things into perspective, in which total war game can you design the armor, equipment, and weapons of your warriors? Total war just has preset troop types per faction that you have to adapt to, removing real opportunities for alternate history scenarios(like what if the diadochi kingdoms successfully created a manipular system for their infantry?)

• Like 7

I agree with most of the points you made here, but the thing about overweight ships I don't agree with. While I do think displacement on hulls should be uncapped, weight can never exceed displacement because of physics. Boats float by displacing water, and the displaced water puts force back on the ship, keeping it from sinking. If a ship's weight ever exceeds displacement, the upward force from displaced water can't counter gravity and the boat will sink.

34 minutes ago, vyprestrike said:

I agree with most of the points you made here, but the thing about overweight ships I don't agree with. While I do think displacement on hulls should be uncapped, weight can never exceed displacement because of physics. Boats float by displacing water, and the displaced water puts force back on the ship, keeping it from sinking. If a ship's weight ever exceeds displacement, the upward force from displaced water can't counter gravity and the boat will sink.

If a ship was already using every last ton fhen shouldn't it sink literally the instant a drop of water enters it, and have practically no freeboard?  

4 hours ago, slightlytreasonous said:

If a ship was already using every last ton fhen shouldn't it sink literally the instant a drop of water enters it, and have practically no freeboard?  

Displacement isn't as simple as I might have made it out to be. If a ship weighs exactly its displacement, that doesn't mean that the there is no freeboard. Technically every floating boat you ever see is at that equilibrium point, otherwise there would be some net upward or downward force. The heavier you make a boat, the more it displaces, so you get a new equilibrium point where the boat sits lower in the water. You'd never actually get to a point (without flooding or just being really bad at building boats) where a surface ship's weight equals its theoretical displacement because the entire ship, superstructure and guns included, would have to be underwater for the boat to be displacing its absolute maximum. At that point yes, the boat would sink if you added so much as an extra drop of water, but the whole boat would already be underwater, so it doesn't really matter.

So basically, you'd actually run out of freeboard before you ran out of theoretical displacement. I'm guessing the displacement for hulls shown in games is like a practical displacement value, where any extra weight wouldn't as much sink the ship as it would make the freeboard so low that the ship would be essentially pre-sunk.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vyprestrike said:

Displacement isn't as simple as I might have made it out to be. If a ship weighs exactly its displacement, that doesn't mean that the there is no freeboard. Technically every floating boat you ever see is at that equilibrium point, otherwise there would be some net upward or downward force. The heavier you make a boat, the more it displaces, so you get a new equilibrium point where the boat sits lower in the water. You'd never actually get to a point (without flooding or just being really bad at building boats) where a surface ship's weight equals its theoretical displacement because the entire ship, superstructure and guns included, would have to be underwater for the boat to be displacing its absolute maximum. At that point yes, the boat would sink if you added so much as an extra drop of water, but the whole boat would already be underwater, so it doesn't really matter.

So basically, you'd actually run out of freeboard before you ran out of theoretical displacement. I'm guessing the displacement for hulls shown in games is like a practical displacement value, where any extra weight wouldn't as much sink the ship as it would make the freeboard so low that the ship would be essentially pre-sunk.

Exactly, so we should be able to go past these safe points and face the "obvious penalties"