Game-Labs Forum

Forums: Ying & Yang

As NA moves forward, community development is ongoing. The Tribunal subforum has been established to capture poor player conduct, so that it might be seen and judged by all. Excellent, as we've seen in a recent Wired article (I'll source link tonight when home), this method has been effective elsewhere.

But what of good deeds and heart warming stories? I recommend a sub forum where I can go and read positive feedback. I propose that we have a spot that offsets the negative items we read day-in-and-out.

I acknowledge we have the Tavern, but it is not the same (labeled as Off Topic, and certainly not dedicated to positive words).

Thoughts?

Edited for typo's

Edited by Grim DeGrim
  • Like 2

I like the idea.  A "Heroes of the Sea" forum.  Of course, you're likely to see a lot of posts there.  You're also likely to see a lot of people hating on other's accomplishments or good deeds.  It'll need to be moderated well.

I hope many comments. By virtue of showing what poor player conduct is, we can then also promote... For the push (tribunal) & pull (New Forum) for player conduct.

Great name btw. "Commendations" "Heros" "Honor & Valor"... There must be a historical equivalent to the Tribunal... In the positive sense (for naming).

Edited by Grim DeGrim

I like the idea.  A "Heroes of the Sea" forum.  Of course, you're likely to see a lot of posts there.  You're also likely to see a lot of people hating on other's accomplishments or good deeds.  It'll need to be moderated well.

An excellent idea Monsieur DeGrim!!

I like it. And I'm willing to bet we moderators will be able to keep it "moderately" under control...    (I crack myself up)  :)

• Like 2

Sounds intriguing. However, we should be wary of those who may come to contest possible commendations: "What? Player X? he's an A*hole, he doesn't deserve to be here!"

It could be heavily moderated, it may just need some strict guidelines as to what qualifies a player for being put into the "heroes" forum.

Would it be similar to the "Pillar of the Community" characters seen in Pirates of the Burning Sea? (Characters I assume where once players who were well noted and esteemed in-game and throughout the community) I was not around when these characters were founded/implemented and there was not a lot about the "Pillar of the Community" in general, but it sounds very similar.

Edit: Perhaps there could be a sort of 'Hero Board' where any player could submit a name to be considered for commendation, then the Mods/admins could look into the players activity, interactions, possibly ask random other players about their interactions for the candidate, then they (the mods and admins) could determine if they are fit to be commemorated

Edited by William the Drake
  • Like 1

Sounds intriguing. However, we should be wary of those who may come to contest possible commendations: "What? Player X? he's an A*hole, he doesn't deserve to be here!"

It could be heavily moderated, it may just need some strict guidelines as to what qualifies a player for being put into the "heroes" forum.

Would it be similar to the "Pillar of the Community" characters seen in Pirates of the Burning Sea? (Characters I assume where once players who were well noted and esteemed in-game and throughout the community) I was not around when these characters were founded/implemented and there was not a lot about the "Pillar of the Community" in general, but it sounds very similar.

Edit: Perhaps there could be a sort of 'Hero Board' where any player could submit a name to be considered for commendation, then the Mods/admins could look into the players activity, interactions, possibly ask random other players about their interactions for the candidate, then they (the mods and admins) could determine if they are fit to be commemorated

well put Sir,

I wonder if it is necessary however to put an even bigger workload on mods and devs than there already is :)

personally I would keep with the suggestion of Grim and focus on something like a "great deeds in battle" forum - or something to that effect... where players can post great moments of heroism and other things alike - but rather describing certain actions  than "gloryfying" one particular player...

I know it sounds rather similar - but I believe there is a fine difference between making one person a hero and being heroic in one particular moment (because this does not exclude that one was a coward in another one) - of course either way it will end up in the usual "he is a hero" - "no - he is an arse" kind of thing - which does (and I again support the quote above) bring up the question whether this sort of thing can be accomplished in the first place...

if this justifies a special forum however - I would be very active in thanking teams and players for their feats in battle - feats I was honoured to see with my own eyes!

Edited by SolInvictus202

well put Sir,

I wonder if it is necessary however to put an even bigger workload on mods and devs than there already is :)

personally I would keep with the suggestion of Grim and focus on something like a "great deeds in battle" forum - or something to that effect... where players can post great moments of heroism and other things alike - but rather describing certain actions than "gloryfying" one particular player...

I know it sounds rather similar - but I believe there is a fine difference between making one person a hero and being heroic in one particular moment (because this does not exclude that one was a coward in another one) - of course either way it will end up in the usual "he is a hero" - "no - he is an arse" kind of thing - which does (and I again support the quote above) bring up the question whether this sort of thing can be accomplished in the first place...

if this justifies a special forum however - I would be very active in thanking teams and players for their feats in battle - feats I was honoured to see with my own eyes!

It's time for "The Good Fight Thread" sub forum, a place for videos or heroic descriptions, something stolen form potbs.

It's time for "The Good Fight Thread" sub forum, a place for videos or heroic descriptions, something stolen form potbs.

I had a similar thought, except for the chest thumping, gloating, etc... I'll expand more below.

well put Sir,

Many Points, said in conjunction with William The Drake.

Honest, I appreciate the concerns.  And they are valid.  Hence, my floating it out for the larger community.  Truthfully, I had the smaller stuff in mind.  The word "Hero" above was used, but perhaps misplaced.  I am thinking more of Gentlemanly conduct, that people choose to recognize - for no other reason than to do it.  There is no rewards for being mentioned.  There is no forum medal.  It is pure Recognition:

POSTED BY NEW PLAYER123:

-

"Shout out to SolInvictus202 for helping me out today.  It was pretty crazy, I had no idea where to do after logging in.  It was all confusing, and he took the time show me the ropes, and make sure I was safe in port after getting lost by Cuba.  Thanks!"

POSTED BY GRIM DEGRIM:

-

"Doran:  Thanks for bearing with me.  I know it isn't a feat of arms...or even practice for you, but I appreciate your taking up my challenges in duels.  /Cheers"

Someone might even regale a tail of someone going above and beyond.  The reward IS the mentioning.  I share the concerns of "yeah right, he's a bum", etc... I don't know if that should be determent enough enough to stop it from happening.  BIG LETTERS:  Trolling and Forum PVP in this subthread will result in immediate suspension and demerit point without warning.

Food for thought, I leave it with you for consideration.

Edited by Grim DeGrim
  • Like 1

I like the idea, I just don't know how to implement it. 

I'm not unknown to do random acts of kindness to others, and I try to be helpful to those that do ask for help (as we all have received help sometime in our lives, it is best to pass it on as well). 

However, the people and events that are put into this "Heroes" thread shouldn't be just an extended "gg" post and should be of events that are performed by someone who took out time and effort to make another enjoy this game and community more.

Implementation:

1. Pick a name (see bottom for random ideas)

2. Create sub-forum.

3. Pin intent of forum, and set the standard for no flame

4. Sit back and let the player base surprise us.

Intent: a good will forum, where you recognize the good deed & conduct of of your fellow gentlemen captains. The intent is to promote desired actions and traits through the recognition from peers.

"Rules" or Warning: this site is heavily moderated. No trolling or negative posts welcomed. Posts will be deleted and forum penalties issued without warning.

Naming ideas for the subforum:

The Hall of Merit

Gratitude Harbour

Honorable Conduct

Gentleman's Conduct

Praise of Conduct

Seafarer's Tribute

(many variations with the above words)

You get the idea.

Of course, a Pillar of the Community thread can be done. That will require a volunteer or PR type person to do interview and makes the posts. Though honestly, i'd take those kinds of posts and put them periodically in the good will forum, versus making a subforum solely for it.

EDIT: place strategically... Not sure of best spot, either right above or below Tribunal subforum, or very top subforum.

Edited by Grim DeGrim