Game-Labs Forum

Star Citizen or Naval Action in the future

Ivan

I am in for star citizen but am not expecting anything playable for another year or so.

naval action is obviously my primary at the moment and i will play both for different reasons. Not really interested in elite however as it seems to be euro truck simulator in space. Might be relaxing for a bit though.

I sprung for Elite and quite frankly find it very engaging while I wait for an NA open world invite. I get the Eurotrucker feedback, but honestly that's going to be the main gripe about any game in that genre, I'm sure people will be saying it about SC too when it releases.

SC is certainly an over hyped money grab. Vast amounts of donations, pledge ships for thousands of dollars, and what progres have they made? Nothing but "arena commander" (which costs extra) and a cosmetic hangar. Don't get me wrong, what they have so far is beautiful. I would get involved in star citizen, if it wasn't for the abysmal amount of progress they have made thus far compared to the huge amounts of money and time they have had to work with. For such a large company, they should have made much more progress. I'm very skeptical of it all.. After all, look at what Game-Labs has done with such a small team.

SC is certainly an over hyped money grab. Vast amounts of donations, pledge ships for thousands of dollars, and what progres have they made? Nothing but "arena commander" (which costs extra) and a cosmetic hangar. Don't get me wrong, what they have so far is beautiful. I would get involved in star citizen, if it wasn't for the abysmal amount of progress they have made thus far compared to the huge amounts of money and time they have had to work with. For such a large company, they should have made much more progress. I'm very skeptical of it all.. After all, look at what Game-Labs has done with such a small team.

Respectfully, I disagree with the "they haven't made progress" argument.  First off, it's only been "in development" since October 2012, and at that point all they had was a trailer demo and 3 ships.

Secondly, comparing NA to SC is comparing apples to oranges.  SC is attempting a game on a scale that dwarfs NA, though both are ground breaking and will be incredible.  The scale and complexity of the game SC is attempting requires a lot of time to get right.  No matter how much money you have, it still requires a lot of time to develop.  Hiring more people sometimes means faster development, but other times it just means "too many hands in the cookie jar" sort of speak.

I believe its the latter and based on how RSI has previously developed and released their SC content, they tend to not want to release half-baked assets/game content.  My guess is that over the next year, you'll see a flurry of developments.  Because if you've paid attention to their updates, they have several studios each working on separate areas of the game and their mechanics.  Which means, it takes longer per module than the whole company focusing on each one.

In the age of paid alpha access in the gaming industry, it's easy to get impatient.  Look at Rust or DayZ.  How long have they been in development?  You could argue several reasons, but modern Open World MMOs are complex.  Especially with modern crafting systems, economies, and server architecture/security issues.  Those things aren't easily solved.  And sometimes, (I'm assuming), it takes trial and error to figure out which takes time.

If you get impatient with these games, then what happens when NA takes another year or two to fully release?  Will you leave this game too?  There's no guarantee that development will be quick for NA, or even if it is, couldn't have setbacks that delay its release.

People just need to understand the nature of modern, complex Open World MMO development these days.  You always have the right to not fund development and just wait to reserve your judgement for the final game release.  But if you buy in for early access, understand you aren't guaranteed a working game, and certainly not guaranteed to get it anytime soon.

Edited by Raatha

Invested to Sc and it failed to catch me with arena commander. Dunno why... I liked Na much more.

Might be that Na fills the empty space of Potbs which i loved. I have been looking for a game like this for a long time.

I think it will be NA for me.

Long time SciFi fan, and played the heck out of the Wing Commander and Privateer series so when the cryptic clues came up on various web forums back in 2012 it all added up to a 42 for me and I became an original backer as a Freelancer.

I have also put my money where my mouth is and backed NA too, just awaiting the key to my shiny new ship now :)

Due to a recent injury I have a reduced ability/strength in my left hand which has curtailed my passion for archery as I cannot hold my bow properly, it also affects the twitch responses needed for Arena commander in SC, not being able to feel what your fingers are doing sucks :)

SC is a game I have been waiting for, for a very long time, Naval Action also falls in to this category for me as I do love the sea and I really do feel alive when I am aboard a ship

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna drop this here:

i've actually spent a few hours this evening in a small organized fps pvp fight aboard a starfarer.

the fps part may not be arma3, but it holds its own and show great promess.

Find a ship, damage the engines to slow it down, blow a hole in it to board, and actually board it with buddies against other players ? Yes please.

So far so good.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard