Game-Labs Forum

Star Citizen or Naval Action in the future

Ivan

I see alot of similarities and of course heaps of difference.

I am very much looking forward to Star Citizen...but at the moment it is to early to know if it is closer to dream or reality.

Elite Dangerous, I was a Beta Backer. It has some simply brilliant elements, however its open world (a 1:1 scale model of our entire galaxy, with 400 billion star systems, rendered to reflect our ACTUAL galaxy as best we know it) is currently a bit 'weak' on 'why am I here'. The group dynamics don't exist (they are improving this in their next release) and the feeling you are 'part of something' is missing. If you enjoy just being you and doing what you want with your own made up goals, solo exploration...well its is blisteringly good. The flight model, the audio, the visual effects are simply stunning.

Combat is very well balanced and very skill based.

It has implemented 3 layers of travel to manage the sim v game element.

Pottering around (say a local station or combat zone) is effectively the 'real sailing speed' we have for Sea Trials.

You can then travel with in a solar system at sub-light speeds, with lets say the trip from earth station to say neptune station taking 10 mins, a trip that can be interupted by pirates etc. But you could fly there at slower speed if you had the months to do so.

Finally there is hyperspace that allows you to 'jump' from one star system to another in just a few seconds (fuel allowing).

Naval Action I hope will do a better initial implementation of 'group' dynamics as well as giving the player a 'place' in the open world...a point to it.

The last patch made E:D unplayable for me.

The PG galaxy is.. ok. It's cool being able to travel anywhere in the galaxy, but loading up Space Engine makes me realize just how uninteresting ED's galaxy is. I'm really hoping FD improves it A LOT over the next few months.

The last patch made E:D unplayable for me.

The PG galaxy is.. ok. It's cool being able to travel anywhere in the galaxy, but loading up Space Engine makes me realize just how uninteresting ED's galaxy is. I'm really hoping FD improves it A LOT over the next few months.

What happened. Why?

What happened. Why?

There's a problem with the new cockpit gamma in the Adder specifically (doesn't effect any other ship). Makes the Adder's cockpit look like it's filled with smoke and can completely block everything out the windows, so all you see is a very smokey cockpit and black windows.

My problem is I'm off exploring... in my Adder. My nearest ship is over 1,500 ly away. I haven't seen a station in over a month. So I don't really have the option to go swap it with my cobra or something.

I will definitely play both titles, I have every faith in Chris and CIG that they'll deliver something great, otherwise I wouldn't have spent € 300+ on ships and early access etc. Compared to that NA is a bargain but equally interesting and addictive to me :)

100% agree to kalnarens post

Edited by George Rodney
  • Like 1

I am an avid supporter of Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen and am now enjoying Naval Action very much... Life is far more about the journey than the destination, so I will enjoy playing them all... True the crowd-funding model has its pitfalls: Elite Dangerous will no longer have an offline single player mode even though this was an original funding goal, and Godus saw the media virtually destroy a great visionary... But it is really the desire to play these games that matters, not that one always gets what one wants. I was/am a Founder Backer for Mechwarror Online, I do not play it very often now that it is 'complete', because the intended campaign style of the aborted Mechwarrior (5) was never incorporated in MWO although this was a possible pathway at pre-alpha; in essence MWO is just a team match-up combat arena currently, and now will never be anything more, does this make me feel cheated or angry? No, ....true I put a considerable amount of money into the crowd-funding phase of game development with an end result in mind, but I knew it was a gamble as to whether that was achievable, but had I and others not accepted that risk MWO would not exist at all.

Edited by Sundagger

I'm not in SC, because I simply think it is overhyped.

One of this options will occur:
1. SC will not be able to hit its goals -> People leave the game

2. SC will reach it's goals, but people are still disappointet because they expected it differently -> People leave the game

3. SC will be developed forever -> "Duke-Nukem Forever"-Syndrom -> When SC reached it's full capability, it got already too old to be fun anymore

Also, I think there is a "critical mass" in terms of money: SC might have the biggest budget, but it won't be able to use it as effectively as smaller projects.

Take ED for example: Less budget, but it got already a functioning universe and a better flight-model, while it is still in development.

But you all are forgetting the third major contender, I'm waiting for (ok, it is a bit different):

No Man's Sky: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

Yeah, I'm exactly on the same page as you are Thonar.

The hype over Star Citizen is crazy and it will end up badly. People have too big expectations of the game and have spent too much money on something they don't even know what it turns out like. It will take years to make the game, SC has too big plans (and Chris Roberts has too big ego) to nail every aspect of the game correctly. And when it finally launches in 2018 there is a chance it will be riddled with technical problems/bugs/exploits and what not.

I bought into SC and picked up Elite D as well. NA is a must asap!

I find SC is so damn hard to get through all the crap on the site to just find out what the hell is going on in thier development.

I don't care if they want all the web site fluff but just make a simple area to find stuff. I have not looked in a while since I was so frustrated last time. Seems like they have a lot of money to waste so fill up the site with stuff to camouflage the fact that nothing is going on in the game but making new ships to grab more money. JMO Arena commander wasn't very fun to me... Not sure why just boring. Elite dangerous I enjoyed. Played beta and enjoyed the progression they made. I think ED ships are dull compared to SC. But NAs ships look the best of them all

I bought into SC and picked up Elite D as well. NA is a must asap!

I find SC is so damn hard to get through all the crap on the site to just find out what the hell is going on in thier development.

I don't care if they want all the web site fluff but just make a simple area to find stuff. I have not looked in a while since I was so frustrated last time. Seems like they have a lot of money to waste so fill up the site with stuff to camouflage the fact that nothing is going on in the game but making new ships to grab more money. JMO Arena commander wasn't very fun to me... Not sure why just boring. Elite dangerous I enjoyed. Played beta and enjoyed the progression they made. I think ED ships are dull compared to SC. But NAs ships look the best of them all

I agree, I had the same kind of experience when I first tried looking into it on their website, ended up going to Youtube to figure out what the hell the game actually was lol.

Have to admit, I am disappointed by the fact that so much of SC's development money is funding a large contingent of hype-generators...

I bought into SC the first week of the kickstarter, as did many of my squad-mates, so who knew it would go down the path it did?  None of us are involved in the released modules or their forum (what a zoo), but we still have hope it will be a great title some day.  You pay your money, you take your chances.

Not going to be a hater, some people gotta hate...  LOL.

I pledged enough for SC, nobody can say anymore, that this game will not release. So we see us in the vers, when it's releases. :) gz Obinotus

If you know "Star Citizen News Radio" you can read sometimes a translation or News from me about SC "in german" or see me on twitch as Moderator.

I want NA like i want SC, these Games gave me the same influence so they are kinda  similar only that the ships are different :) , but there is no preorder more so i have to wait, but i can wait. IT's done when its Done :)

I already spread the word about NA in the biggest german SC Forum --> http://www.star-citizens.de/topic/6804-naval-action-seeschlachten-im-stil-des-17-19-jhd/

Edited by Obinotus

I love Sci Fi but there is no way I am giving them any of my cash until I see how it plays, a cockpit simulator is not my idea of fun. The fact they are selling ships for $150 really sticks in my throat too, rewarding pledges is one thing but that just smacks of money grabbing.

• Like 1

Oh, there are several ships that cost more, much much more, than $150...

If I had known where it was all going, I would have jumped on buying one of the limited alien scout/fighter ships that came up for sale in the last day of the kickstarter (if memory serves correct).  They are now selling aftermarket for thousands of dollars.  I suspect the one poster here mentioning he funded this-in-that likely sold one of his limited-availability ships.

Yes, the hype machine keeps rolling on, but when I bought in it was a very different scene and we all thought about a game being made by the players, no middle-men screwing it up...

Edited by SYN_Bloody-Bandy

I love Sci Fi but there is no way I am giving them any of my cash until I see how it plays, a cockpit simulator is not my idea of fun. The fact they are selling ships for $150 really sticks in my throat too, rewarding pledges is one thing but that just smacks of money grabbing.

Indeed. When i read: when we get another 10 milion bucks we will add new map making me smile and im sure they never see a penny from me;P

it appears to be a money grab, but in reality the players are throwing money at them. there are a lot of ships that you cannot buy that players clamor for them to put up for sale so they can throw more money at them. not everyone is spending whole paychecks on them either. Chris Roberts estimated once that 70%-80% of backers were basic $40 pledgers. I am a basic $40 pledger. it adds up because we have over half a million pledgers.

I forget but I believe I have given $40 for Naval Action as well. that doesn't make them money grabbers. if we the players clamored for them to sell us ships as pledges and they obliged, it wouldn't make them money grabbers either. more like money catchers.

Star Citizen is a very unique project and believe it will be the game of the decade when it finally goes public. I have to goes public instead of saying finished, because it will never be finished, it will continue to evolve long after it goes public. I half expect Naval Action to evolve over time after release as well. that's why I play it.

it appears to be a money grab, but in reality the players are throwing money at them. there are a lot of ships that you cannot buy that players clamor for them to put up for sale so they can throw more money at them. not everyone is spending whole paychecks on them either. Chris Roberts estimated once that 70%-80% of backers were basic $40 pledgers. I am a basic $40 pledger. it adds up because we have over half a million pledgers.

I forget but I believe I have given $40 for Naval Action as well. that doesn't make them money grabbers. if we the players clamored for them to sell us ships as pledges and they obliged, it wouldn't make them money grabbers either. more like money catchers.

Star Citizen is a very unique project and believe it will be the game of the decade when it finally goes public. I have to goes public instead of saying finished, because it will never be finished, it will continue to evolve long after it goes public. I half expect Naval Action to evolve over time after release as well. that's why I play it.

Yeah but 40 bucks its quite reasonable compare to few hundreds for ships in Star Citizen...i would say its a bargain:)

Quick calculating says that the average sum people pay for star citizen is 90 bucks. 60 usd is already almost too much for a triple-A video game, let alone paying 90 usd for a game you know nothing about is crazy. Imagine the shitstorm when they get something they did not expect

Edited by Count Crapula

Yes many of us have paid for NA but the difference is that I can play NA right now and it shows great promise, the fact they have limited the amount of copies being sold is not the sign of a cash grab either. SC looks to be going the same way as Eternal Crusade, they are taking in millions of dollars but have made little progress despite being in development for years.

a video showing off the state of the new procedural damage system they are working on.

https://youtu.be/OkAaLd0FdK0

Well that was pretty cool!

I think Ill have to come here to get my SC news and videos... I hate their site atm

Edit: Well after going and checking out the site again (its been months) It is a lot better now. I could actually find info and it didn't seem hidden under some hype machine. Still have to wait and see how well all this money gets spent and if it is actually going to be fun or is it just going to be another EVE.

I hope they move the genre forward and not wallow in the past. 

Edited by StuffinBeard