Game-Labs Forum

Star Citizen or Naval Action in the future

Ivan

Every time I hear of SC I hear "buy better ship or die". I was never hyped, I don't get hyped - so that little piece of info was a bad omen. Also, lack of coverage from any of my preferred tube/streamers. At all.

As for NA? I got hyped. Me. Got two copies, may get more :P

Not hyped at all about SC..

The game mechanics a bit the same, as in trade etc but the devs are like complete opposite: Pumping ships for $$$ 24/7 vs halting pre orders. Now its not like I want pre orders to be stopped, its just a nice sign from admin that hes not a greedy maniac.

inb4 haters: Elite Dangerous has a far more developed game with 1/100 of the funding of SC, imo if it failed is largely due to merged progression between PvE and PvP, like I was hyped about it but it was an instant NOPE.jpg when I learned about that.

Edited by nebsif

Not hyped at all about SC..

The game mechanics a bit the same, as in trade etc but the devs are like complete opposite: Pumping ships for $$$ 24/7 vs halting pre orders. Now its not like I want pre orders to be stopped, its just a nice sign from admin that hes not a greedy maniac.

inb4 haters: Elite Dangerous has a far more developed game with 1/100 of the funding of SC, imo if it failed is largely due to merged progression between PvE and PvP, like I was hyped about it but it was an instant NOPE.jpg when I learned about that.

Elite is also a much smaller scope than SC is with less visual fidelity.  NA is halting pre-orders not for not wanting funding but because the studio is too small to handle much more as the raw data is flowing in while in Star Citizens development they were able to subsidize the "Growing Pains" if you will because their kickstarter and initial crowd-funding drive did so well so CIG (Cloud Imperium Games) could hire more staff and grow from 1 location to the 4 main studios and other contractors that il list below.

CIG Santa Monica, California, USA

CIG Austin, Texas, USA

Foundry 42 Manchester, UK

(TBA)CIG Studio in Germany

Illfonic (FPS Development), Denver, Colorado, USA

Turbulent Studios

Behaviour Interactive, Montreal, Canada

Turbulent Studios, Montreal, Canada

Moon Collider, Manchester, UK

CGBot, Mexico City, Mexico

This as well as numorious independent Contractors.  At this point They have enough money to finish the game but also according to crowdfunding rules and tax laws at least in the US the money that is raised in such a way has to be spend on development so these "Pre-Orders" and "Pledges" are not padding their bottom line but allowing more growth and continued expansion of the game.

I'm more than a little worried about SC, I don't think I will invest.  I think 70+ million dollars is more than enough to release a game, they are having a giraffe now.

Millions and millions and after all this time they produced only a generic gamemode for testing, they are neck deep in funding goals too which I kinda have doubts they can fulfill.

Imagine the rioting from the community if they fail to complete any of those promises and that is piled onto a game which itself demands so much time and resources. I'm somewhat glad that GL has steered clear of the temptation so far.

Millions and millions and after all this time they produced only a generic gamemode for testing, they are neck deep in funding goals too which I kinda have doubts they can fulfill.

Imagine the rioting from the community if they fail to complete any of those promises and that is piled onto a game which itself demands so much time and resources. I'm somewhat glad that GL has steered clear of the temptation so far.

They have produced far more than just a Generic Game mode. Currently there are 5 Different game modes that you can play with the FPS portion being released early march. Honestly it hasent been all that long as far as a AAA game is concerned most take many years of pre-production before anything is said and then a year or two of development before it is premiered at a PAX or E3 event.  

I see the same attitude all the time and what people fail to realize is that this way of developing is something compleatly new.  So please stop drawing the lines from normal development where when a game is announced it is already half way or mostly complete to oh Star Citizen has been in development for too damn long.  Also not everything they have worked on is immediately available to the public so there is a whole lot more that has been developed but is behind closed doors until the proper peices of the jigsaw puzzle have been put into place.

• Like 1

Sadly for star citizen it has promised a lot and now has to fill those shoes. The introduction of instances and choosing how often you encounter human players already made many fans angry. Companies need to stop promising the world and delivering an island. I fear NA is giving in to some of the same hYpe issues when it comes to mechanics and peoples vision of the game as they see it. It's better to give out solid guidelines and produce a better product than it is to let speculation run free and wild and then deliver a game that doesn't live up to what some people expected it would be.

Sadly for star citizen it has promised a lot and now has to fill those shoes. The introduction of instances and choosing how often you encounter human players already made many fans angry. Companies need to stop promising the world and delivering an island. I fear NA is giving in to some of the same hYpe issues when it comes to mechanics and peoples vision of the game as they see it. It's better to give out solid guidelines and produce a better product than it is to let speculation run free and wild and then deliver a game that doesn't live up to what some people expected it would be.

To be fair the "Instancing" was always a part of the equation from the very beginning mainly due to the graphical resolution and fidelity that the game will be preforming at. Now they have also said as technology improves they may be able to increase the size of these instances and so forth. 

I have put a chunk o change into Star Citizen, been backing it since kickstarter October 2012  :D Looking forwards to it a lot.

Until both games are "completed" At least to a release standard I will refrain on commenting how well the game works or will work.

Either way.. Up an at em!

Jezz

I supported SC back on kickstarter... but the simple fact is that I don't have any fun playing the arena commander... And Iam actually not sure why.

Maybe because it play more like a first person shooter than a Classics space fighter game like wing commander or x-wing?

(And I have no idea how many hours I spent on the old games... )

I have player NA 5-10times more than Arana commander and have fun with it... (and I paid less money for it)

I also supported Kingdom Come: Deliverance... (as a medieval archaeologist it was pretty natural to do so)

• Like 1

Im invested in both and am looking forward to both of them. Both games are in Alpha and have a long ways to go and both show alot of promise for being great games to play as they mature. To the guys that are investing heavy $$ in SC I thank you but if you think you purchased the win button im sorry but you didn't. All you got was a small amount of ease in early game play as a small token of thanks for "Donating" towards development. FYI 70+mill is a nice amount for this project but to put it in context a recent AAA title Destiny by Bungie was developed on a budget of about 280 mill and even more for adverts and other marketing. Is SC an ambitious project? sure but very doable and the guys over at RSI are making solid progress. As for NA they have a solid platform and a great direction there going and im sure there gonna give us a very fun game we all will enjoy for many years as well.

See ya in the verse o/

I've been scoping SC for a while and it looks amazing but the version out now is utter pay to win even if the fanbase won't admit it. The devs promise the final game won't be that way. The plan is remarkably like PotBS in that stuff you can buy out of game will still be available in game if you spend the time... and that's a great system in my opinion, I never spent a cent on PotBS but sailed some of the largest most expensive ships and usually had the best gear for pvp. I like it because people with money can spend it to make their lives easier and people who don't want to don't have to just to experience the game fully.

I'm also in love with their living universe concept -- having different servers handle different levels of one universe instead of different servers for completely separate universes -- is genius and could be revolutionary to MMO gaming. I wish NA could do that but the only reason it will work for SC is because of hyper speed travel xP we'd be sailing around for weeks to find stuff in an open sea version of their world concept.

And that they don't plan on being subscription based is pretty shweet... but yeah, the p2w is what's kept me from spending anything on it yet. If it truly turns out different when the final game is released I may be on board.

Edited by Devante del Nero

I've been scoping SC for a while and it looks amazing but the version out now is utter pay to win even if the fanbase won't admit it. The devs promise the final game won't be that way. The plan is remarkably like PotBS in that stuff you can buy out of game will still be available in game if you spend the time... and that's a great system in my opinion, I never spent a cent on PotBS but sailed some of the largest most expensive ships and usually had the best gear for pvp. I like it because people with money can spend it to make their lives easier and people who don't want to don't have to just to experience the game fully.

I'm also in love with their living universe concept -- having different servers handle different levels of one universe instead of different servers for completely separate universes -- is genius and could be revolutionary to MMO gaming. I wish NA could do that but the only reason it will work for SC is because of hyper speed travel xP we'd be sailing around for weeks to find stuff in an open sea version of their world concept.

And that they don't plan on being subscription based is pretty shweet... but yeah, the p2w is what's kept me from spending anything on it yet. If it truly turns out different when the final game is released I may be on board

If your talking about the current arena commander they are unlocking the "Rental Credits" in the game so you can unlock different ships just as unlocking ships in naval action. 

I'm also in love with their living universe concept -- having different servers handle different levels of one universe instead of different servers for completely separate universes -- is genius and could be revolutionary to MMO gaming.

Could you tell me more about the different levels of one universe ? Or provide a link , Ty

Could you tell me more about the different levels of one universe ? Or provide a link , Ty

Yeah well as I understand it they have a top level universe server that manages millions of npcs or AI occurrences that aren't necessarily being rendered except when players come into contact with them, it communicates that info down to the solar system and player area servers that are doing the rendering, and in turn those servers communicate back up the pipeling what is happening as a result of player actions. So the whole universe behaves like a single "living" entity with everything happening in real time and effecting the entire rest of the universe in real time

Edited by admin
  • Like 2