Game-Labs Forum

Enemy BBs & others choose to retreat

Captain Meow

I'm noticing this often in custom battles. 1895, for example, I have 4BB, 3CA, 5CL & choose for enemy same-year, similar amount of BBs, 4CA, 3CL, 5TB... all are my own designed ships, 15km starting distance. The battle goes usually like this:

I with all my ships first encounter few TBs (I guess they scout or just went too forward cause of being fast), while I'm dealing with them then I see several CLs & CAs also came to the scene. A couple of CL/CA with a row of BBs are on their way to help, few more TBs still around. All my ships are engaged in a fight, my CLs are flanking, but then I notice a couple of enemy CLs are retreating together with all their BBs. I finally am done with their CL/CA/TB I first encountered & then I'm chasing their remaining ships (esp. 4BBs) which simply sail in one direction (without changing it) & shoot at whatever is close to them.

If I choose less number of ships for each side, like 1BB, 2CA, 2 CL vs 1BB, 1CA, 3 CL, 3 TB - often I see their BB is hanging out in the background during the main action, then just retreats.

I could understand BB has some 16-18kn so its usually the last, but why it's always like it finally arrives at the scene, sees all their ships are losing & then goes like "ah fk it, me out of this!" Same with 4 enemy BBs - they slowly come, see their team losing & they are like "ah fk it, we're better than this, let's leave, guys!"

(1.02 version)

Edited by Captain Meow
  • Like 1

I was in the middle of another 1920 German campaign before the last Beta update released, and I got a couple large fleet engagements in which the AI behaved in similar way to what you just described.

CAs and DDs turned to approach & distract me while the major capital ships sailed away at max speed. CLs usually joined the retreat. I can remember 2 or 3 similar battles in which my fast BCs (bless them) caught and demolished the retreating AI ships one by one. Thankfully, only the AI DDs had torps, so I didn't have to go through a crazy torp gauntlet to finally get into effective gun range.

When I play custom duels, especially in 1900 and earlier, I usually set starting range to 5 km or less. It makes the battle shorter and more fun, since 66% of the time, the AI will just run away and 'kite' me, and all I can do is chase and try to slow him down. Worst spawn position is with the AI already just sailing away from you, firing 'byee!' salvos.

Edited by BilgeRat22
  • Like 2