Game-Labs Forum

Enemies immediately retreating

It appears that as soon as I am spotted by enemy warships in the campaign the immediately turn tail and run, which would be okay for tactical reasons, but they always do it, and I once tried chasing them, but the refure to turn and fight, this makes it impossible to actually sink an enemy, especially with early warships with limited range and accuracy. 

On 1/16/2022 at 4:51 AM, YamatoTheLegendary said:

It appears that as soon as I am spotted by enemy warships in the campaign the immediately turn tail and run, which would be okay for tactical reasons, but they always do it, and I once tried chasing them, but the refure to turn and fight, this makes it impossible to actually sink an enemy, especially with early warships with limited range and accuracy. 

At least you can visually see each other. That's an improvement over fleeing from earlier versions 😆

Edited by Littorio

I cannot confirm this in general. It may be true for ships with super-heavy armaments (18'' or 20'' guns). In contrary, I am noticing frequent suicide charges of ai destroyers and cruisers towards my battle line. Often the cruisers are not even fast enough to catch up with my battlecruisers and are easily sniped from save distances one by one (I build mostly bcs in campaigns, as with them, you get the most for the money). 

On 1/18/2022 at 6:55 PM, Neonknight_ger said:

I cannot confirm this in general. It may be true for ships with super-heavy armaments (18'' or 20'' guns). In contrary, I am noticing frequent suicide charges of ai destroyers and cruisers towards my battle line. Often the cruisers are not even fast enough to catch up with my battlecruisers and are easily sniped from save distances one by one (I build mostly bcs in campaigns, as with them, you get the most for the money). 

My experience,too. AI is rather throwing away its ships instead of fleeing when outmatched(be it at the start or due to the events of a battle)

If you don't want the AI to run, don't put torpedoes on any of your ships, don't even bother fielding anything smaller than heavy cruisers. By the 1920 campaign this is totally doable, 11 inch guns heavy cruisers, even if you just have 2 forward super firing turrets, are just about the most cost effective ship you can build and a threat to nearly everything.

• Like 1

I tried a few a 2v2 CA duels against the AI (1930 tech, patch 1.03 beta), and its ships tried to open the range about 60% of the time. At some point, when it became clear that I'd be catching up, they turned around to have a fight and spam more torps at me. On the other hand, fleeing AI BBs and BCs often just keep running until I knock out 1 or more engines.

Me having torpedoes or not didn't seem to influence the AI's decisions, though I strongly agree that since we're ignorant of what the AI will bring to the table (at this time at least), having 10" or bigger guns on your cruisers is likely a bare necessity. Mark 4 11s seem to be always better than Mark 5 10s in 1930 already, so every useful CA will have be a pocket battleship. These guns have the range, accuracy and power to damage the AI whatever its configuration is. Effectiveness at a decent range is important because if I get too close, AI surprise torp drops become pretty much unavoidable.

As for CLs and DDs, in my 1920 campaigns they only appeared to be useful as torp platforms, scouts or distractions.

Edited by BilgeRat22
Typos and clarity

Its not like i never saw enemy ships fleeing right away at the start of a battle, but for me its a rather rare sight. Im already happy when they try to flee after suffering heavy dmg or great losses of ships, although both happen way to late to be a usefull or thought thru action.

In a battle u shouldnt be surprised when an enemy is using all means to win against u. and torps are not even a hidden knife or something like that 😛

5 hours ago, BilgeRat22 said:

As for CLs and DDs, in my 1920 campaigns they only appeared to be useful as torp platforms, scouts or distractions.

Well, i think thats pretty much what u can expect from these two classes of ships, is it not? They are outgunned and outarmoured from the bigger classes, after all. They can be raiders of unguarded or only lightly guarded Convoys too, though.

Of course I do expect the AI to use every tool at its disposal. But in its more "torp-spammy" builds it carries so many torpedoes and reloads that I'll be dodging torpedoes for most of the battle while trying to catch up and gun its ships down. And that will take time, and speed. I can't claim to be an expert of course. This has only been my experience so far.

I have also learned today that 1930 heavy cruiser hulls can have so much Resilience and armor quality (Krupp IV, +100-110%), that even 11" guns (with Standard ammo) won't do that much damage, will be bouncing a lot, and they'll have a hard time penning a 7" belt. One of the AI cruisers ate about 200 11" hits (mostly HE, because AP would rarely go through even with near perfect angling) before finally going down.

With 6" and 7" guns being so very outclassed, I suppose my 1930 CLs can should be useful as destroyer leaders.