Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.03 version<<< [EXPIRED 20/01/2022]

Nick Thomadis

For me the campaigns are broken with the new patch.

When I start one, the loading continues until the text at the bottom right just stops counting up the month and years, getting stuck. The dots around the text keep moving, but nothing else happens for 10+ minutes.

It's always at September or October five years before the supposed campaign start.

Also I can select Austria-Hungary, France and Italy to start a campaign as, but regardless of whether it's those three or the old two, the loading screen always freezes up.

Year, template, historical or difficulty all don't change this.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:26 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Does the problem persist on a restart of the game?

It seems like the problem goes away after a game restart.

On another note, there's been an issue with the game for the last several versions now where as a battle goes on, the antialiasing becomes more rough over time, and after a while, all ships turn dark as if they were reverting to lowest graphics settings, even if you have your graphics maxed out. This doesn't seem to affect the water or the sky, just the post processing effects on boats. I've recreated this several times by turning my ships away from the enemy and sailing away for a while.

Okay, I thought it was funny, but...it is not. Enemy destroyers accelerate to beyond the speed of sound, run circles arond you and torpedo you with really no chance to evade.

On another note, I thought friendly fire was a thing of the past, but one of my AI-controlled destroyers just sank my heavy cruiser in an attempt to torpedo one of the aforementioned hyperspeed destroyers.

Edited by Darth Khyron

59 minutes ago, vyprestrike said:

It seems like the problem goes away after a game restart.

On another note, there's been an issue with the game for the last several versions now where as a battle goes on, the antialiasing becomes more rough over time, and after a while, all ships turn dark as if they were reverting to lowest graphics settings, even if you have your graphics maxed out. This doesn't seem to affect the water or the sky, just the post processing effects on boats. I've recreated this several times by turning my ships away from the enemy and sailing away for a while.

Had such few times when ship became black for some moment after sailing alone for way too much.

6 minutes ago, Darth Khyron said:

but one of my AI-controlled destroyers just sank my heavy cruiser in an attempt to torpedo one of the aforementioned hyperspeed destroyers.

I find that's normal, wouldn't want my torpedoes going through my own ships or bouncing off of them.

Though wish there was implemented auto-avoiding of own torpedoes same how it's with collision avoidance.

Edited by Captain Meow

Thanks Nick.  Haven't updated yet, but just had a successful battle end with a Peace Treaty offer when I exited the battle, which I agreed to. There was still another battle present on the world map unresolved, but I assumed hitting next turn would end the war.  Instead the next turn was processed and a port strike mission (against England, btw, but location shown is coast of France!) popped up. Can't close it, so it seems I am forced to continue the war, but without any indication of the peace treaty not happening.

In my opinion, peace treaties should not happen when exiting a battle during a turn, but in between turns, with resolution shown following generation of next turn.

13 minutes ago, akd said:

Thanks Nick.  Haven't updated yet, but just had a successful battle end with a Peace Treaty offer when I exited the battle, which I agreed to. There was still another battle present on the world map unresolved, but I assumed hitting next turn would end the war.  Instead the next turn was processed and a port strike mission (against England, btw, but location shown is coast of France!) popped up. Can't close it, so it seems I am forced to continue the war, but without any indication of the peace treaty not happening.

In my opinion, peace treaties should not happen when exiting a battle during a turn, but in between turns, with resolution shown following generation of next turn.

The campaign was not supposed to work in the previous beta, due to WIP work for the major update. So please start a new campaign with the new.

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The beta has been updated with various bug fixes. 

Please check the formation issues you reported, especially the crash which led to infinite speed of units, if it has been fixed.

Just submitted a bug report from the in-game icon. Enemy DD looked to have been able to make it to the Delta Quadrant in less than 3yrs. Big ZOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom. As soon as I submitted the bug report, CTD.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The campaign was not supposed to work in the previous beta, due to WIP work for the major update. So please start a new campaign with the new.

Aww, so previous campaigns can't be continued? I was so close to be able to build dradnoughts... But then peace treaties are already a thing?

59 minutes ago, Somhairle said:

Just submitted a bug report from the in-game icon. Enemy DD looked to have been able to make it to the Delta Quadrant in less than 3yrs. Big ZOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom. As soon as I submitted the bug report, CTD.

Well with the new spore drive it is possible. 

Voyager was in the 1890 campaign in comparison

AI continues to be obsessed with absurdly over-arming and badly under-armoring light cruisers:

920119350_AICLdesign1.thumb.jpg.68d75793817e5a58b57c9ac3da8bd5c7.jpg

The AI designer seems to be very focused on filling all available deck space with guns. One thing that might help the AI designer a bit is to follow a rule of not placing guns in positions that have firing arcs of less than, say, 120 degrees:

746852095_AICLdesign2.thumb.jpg.55e3abdd2138fd90726c27c1e97842da.jpg

But regardless, you can see that this would not be feasible at all in reality due to the area needed to work the guns. If the side guns turned at all to the side, there would be no way for the gun crew to work the gun with the gun in the middle, but the game shows these side guns having greater than 180 degree firing arcs.  The footprint on deck needed for open / shielded guns does not seem to be properly accounted for.  They are not just guns with shields on them; they are guns with shields and large crews necessary to operate the gun and supply it with ammo (that must come from outside the gun and be supplied from behind the breech).

Opened design in game and changed nothing but reducing guns to something reasonable and increasing armor.  Now we have something that works:

1053097443_CLarmamentandarmorchangedonly.thumb.jpg.a8be296c83268094d940624484a20516.jpg

Edited by akd
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, akd said:

AI continues to be obsessed with absurdly over-arming and badly under-armoring light cruisers:

920119350_AICLdesign1.thumb.jpg.68d75793817e5a58b57c9ac3da8bd5c7.jpg

The AI designer seems to be very focused on filling all available deck space with guns. One thing that might help the AI designer a bit is to follow a rule of not placing guns in positions that have firing arcs of less than, say, 120 degrees:

746852095_AICLdesign2.thumb.jpg.55e3abdd2138fd90726c27c1e97842da.jpg

But regardless, you can see that this would not be feasible at all in reality due to the area needed to work the guns. If the side guns turned at all to the side, there would be no way for the gun crew to work the gun with the gun in the middle, but the game shows these side guns having greater than 180 degree firing arcs.  The footprint on deck needed for open / shielded guns does not seem to be properly accounted for.  They are not just guns with shields on them; they are guns with shields and large crews necessary to operate the gun and supply it with ammo (that must come from outside the gun and be supplied from behind the breech).

Opened design in game and changed nothing but reducing guns to something reasonable and increasing armor.  Now we have something that works:

1053097443_CLarmamentandarmorchangedonly.thumb.jpg.a8be296c83268094d940624484a20516.jpg

Needs more dakka

• Like 3

Two things about this beta:

First, my ships in Line Ahead (at mission start) always form up in echelon to the starboard side of my lead ship. I don't give them any commands or anything, they just automatically shift over. I was playing Naval Academy tonight, don't know if that is relevant.

Secondly, AI targeting might be a bit weird. I really noticed this in the Naval Academy mission Sink the Raiders. I built 13" armed semi-dreads. After mission start, I maneuvered my dreads physically between the enemy CAs and the TRs. It starts out fine, but when the CAs reach a certain point, they develop a laser focus on the TRs, despite my BBs being much closer. In fact, while they're firing on a single TR, my own BBs quite easily savage them in response (until I fail the mission at least, since it requires 100% TR survival).