Game-Labs Forum

>>> Beta 1.03 version<<< [EXPIRED 20/01/2022]

Nick Thomadis

The flash fires that send guns flying through the air are way overdone.  All gun positions seem to susceptible to towering flash fires that launch the guns / turrets hundreds of meters into the air.  Even open 3-inch guns on merchants will suffer this if a fire reaches them.  This does not really make sense as the turret-destroying, towering jet would be the result of a propellant fire in a confined, armored space seeking the path of least resistance (e.g. a turret above a magazine) but that doesn’t generate sufficient pressure quickly enough to cause an outright explosion (that would tear the ship itself apart).  Open positions like those on merchants and for secondary / tertiary batteries on warships would have a magazine elsewhere in the ship separate from the guns, and smaller amounts of ammunition at the guns but not in a magazine directly under the gun.  These would be susceptible to fires and explosions, but they would be more localized and should not result in a towering jet of flame out of the ship and orbit-seeking pedestal guns.

It’s also arguable that a flash fire alone (without a magazine explosion) would be capable of ejecting a turret from the ship hundreds of meters into the air.  That should be an effect reserved for a magazine detonation where there is direct magazine to turret connection.  And if a magazine detonates, there is no longer a source for a flash fire, as the potential fuel has already been consumed.  Historically flash fires were sometimes seen before magazine detonations, but I don’t really recall instances of huge magazine explosions (and explosion) followed by a flash fire jetting out of the hull from said magazine.

Edited by akd
  • Like 7

AI ships are still turning almost in place while barely moving.  AI CL makes near 180 degree turn in its own length, or maybe less:

777169791_crazyturncircle1.thumb.jpg.26ccb53cc77b3507592e2efd831ce05b.jpg

1739270252_crazyturncircle2.thumb.jpg.da9a209cebf31d26f28679204b30e85f.jpg

1563347802_crazyturncircle3.thumb.jpg.4aaa91b4b206897adb8280d1a802cec9.jpg

Here is another example.  The red X is a fixed point in the sea:

1941519440_bowtosternstationaryturn1.thumb.jpg.40b4468d48f9f2283aab8ea637832a36.jpg

1146039021_bowtosternstationaryturn2.thumb.jpg.1be54b482ae596af13afa4503858d163.jpg

Just in case you were wondering about its condition at the time (not that a ship should be able to do that an any condition, of course):

691306444_bowtosternstationaryturn3.thumb.jpg.76eec9582085dae0cca6852326acf97d.jpg

Also those turrets! 😆 Have to look at these damn CLs in every mission of this campaign. My eyes!

24719322_turretsmyeyes.thumb.jpg.deeb270cfcdf1414c19aad9398561705.jpg

Edited by akd
  • Like 7

Not exactly feedback from this patch, but I feel that the "semi armoured cruiser" hulls should be revised. No matter how much I look at them, their options for weaponry placement are so poor that I fail to see why would anyone use that hull instead of the other ones. One possible solution for that hull could be allowing main caliber guns in the twin casemate mounts (the ones highlighted)20220117044218_1.thumb.jpg.17843edffa9adbf01d519f9306b39c11.jpg

That would not only make that hull competitive, but will also solve a problem I have detected: So far I haven't found any hull that allows casemate main guns, something that was not unheard of in Armoured cruisers, and fairly common in protected cruisers (The USS Charleston, which indeed has a versy similar shape, comes to mind)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, akd said:

Also those turrets! 😆 Have to look at these damn CLs in every mission of this campaign. My eyes!

24719322_turretsmyeyes.thumb.jpg.deeb270cfcdf1414c19aad9398561705.jpg

Developers should definitely apply some rules or ranges outside of which installations would not be happening.  Appears to me that the way AI designs ships is simply dumping whatever fits.

Hi All,

I've spotted 3 AI DD endlessly gaining speed, followed by crash to desktop.

Not sure how important, but here are the details (reproduced twice and I sent the bug report):

Mode: Naval academy, "French v Germans"; More funds; Super BB II hull (two different settings); game was always at max speed (then back to normal when I spotted it). Latest beta branch update.

Not a whole lot to go on, but I hoping the bug report may prove more useful for you guys, thks!

picardmaneuveur.gif.6838232307f649562b6b8fbb9e2557da.gif

Ok, I was able to reproduce and stay around long enough to id the DD's, screenshots of one example below (though 4 other DDs had same behaviour):

DD V-7 doing 270 kn, accel. in the negatives, but reaching 1kn/s20220117222310_1.thumb.jpg.a31dfa4990e83439c301d284942ebaef.jpg

20220117222305_1.thumb.jpg.b81a06feb9b6cd9efbf7c32c4d9be264.jpg

Edited by hopps
Additional information that may be helpful for devs

2 hours ago, hopps said:

Hi All,

I've spotted 3 AI DD endlessly gaining speed, followed by crash to desktop.

Not sure how important, but here are the details (reproduced twice and I sent the bug report):

Mode: Naval academy, "French v Germans"; More funds; Super BB II hull (two different settings); game was always at max speed (then back to normal when I spotted it). Latest beta branch update.

Not a whole lot to go on, but I hoping the bug report may prove more useful for you guys, thks!

picardmaneuveur.gif.6838232307f649562b6b8fbb9e2557da.gif

Ok, I was able to reproduce and stay around long enough to id the DD's, screenshots of one example below (though 4 other DDs had same behaviour):

DD V-7 doing 270 kn, accel. in the negatives, but reaching 1kn/s20220117222310_1.thumb.jpg.a31dfa4990e83439c301d284942ebaef.jpg

20220117222305_1.thumb.jpg.b81a06feb9b6cd9efbf7c32c4d9be264.jpg

It must be a crash, thanks for the report. We will take a look.
EDIT:
If you have used the internal bug report we would have found probably the cause. We did not see this particular report. It appears you use a combination of AI control, detached lines, and probably this is the reason.

EDIT2:
Did you save/loaded the battle to get this bug?

Formations work even worse than before. I just had a battle in which I had to detach all of my ships (it was a three CL formation) because otherwise there was impossible to control the ships.

Edit: Even detached, ships do not respond to control anymore as soon a freindly ship closer than around two kilometer or so. Please fix ASAP, game is not playable right now. Whatever you guys did with the evasion system has broken the game.

Edited by The PC Collector
  • Like 3

There is some issues with the latest update.

Ship doing 108 knots speed.

If i set a division to scout or screen the lead ship will sail backwards.

I strongly suggest to fix this issues before this update goes live.

rt1wV2l.jpg

Edit: doing 400knots+ and still gaining speed.

ydlMPUj.jpg

Not even the world can keep this ship in game. Damn this boy is fast 😁

TTgxjso.jpg

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

It must be a crash, thanks for the report. We will take a look.
EDIT:
If you have used the internal bug report we would have found probably the cause. We did not see this particular report. It appears you use a combination of AI control, detached lines, and probably this is the reason.

EDIT2:
Did you save/loaded the battle to get this bug?

Hi Nick,

I sent the report pretty much at the same time of posting, could be a reason why you might have not seen it yet. The number of battle lines there and ship under AI was actually me trying to id the DD's as fast as possible to see their speed and all before ctd, it might've a poor way of showing it.

No save/loading involved. I have observed it 4 times in a row only in the France vs Germany mission in the academy, regardless of what ship I design and how many, even one BB auto-designed for the player, and the enemy DD's still go about 100kn (and increasingly faster) after 15 or 20 min in-battle time. All I did really was start the mission and wait to see whether it would happen again.

I'll be happy to report/show it again tomorrow after work. I don't supposed this could this be on my end only?

44 minutes ago, o Barão said:

rt1wV2l.jpg

Edit: doing 400knots+ (over 460 miles per hour!) and still gaining speed.

ydlMPUj.jpg

TTgxjso.jpg

Today I learned that you can, in fact, drift a battleship.
I almost want this bug to be kept in because it's so ridiculous, but it's also incredibly game breaking.
Also, formations are so broken right now. Even with just 2 ships, the rear ship just drifts around like a drunkard, seemingly unable to go straight. Larger formations are even worse, I have to manually make battle lines now.

• Like 1

These were taken yesterday before the last update, just now have had time to post about it. There's something wrong with our bloody ships today!

In a 1940 campaign vs British, they built these spectacular 68k ton supper battlecruisers with 9 20in guns, superfiring aft of course to optimize AI retreat strategy lmao.

Anyway, I'm attempting to take this extremely dangerous thing out with 4 light ships when its guns suddenly go cold, and I see that it somehow has no main gun ammo at all! it had over 700 rounds left when i looked at it right after identifying it. This is less than 5 minutes of play time into the mission, i just took out the ~10 transports it was guarding (running from), and suddenly its ammo is gone. All its other guns went silent as well, but at least their ammo hadn't disappeared. Note that there was no flashfires, no exploded turrets or anything that could explain this. Was there a flashfire that didn't go off correctly, deal no damage and JUST consume all the ammo? the heavy cruisers were packing 11 in guns and that things armor is awful light so maybe?

AAB8D8839D4D06B9F0471C1966D8B7FDAAC99C2E (1920×1080)

it even happened again in the next mission i faced one of these super battleships, still not anymore explainable.

519861DEAD919832979AD500650E10E6DBC07DF6 (1920×1080)

this could almost be counted as a bug as well, the heavy cruisers they built for the campaign

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

2x2 7in, 1x3 5in, 2x1 2in, 2x5 torp launcher. thats it.

• Like 1

Well, didn’t encounter these extremes, but usual formation problems persist.  Weird inability to maintain spacing (probably because AI has no concept of slowing formation to achieve spacing and instead constantly tries to accelerate following ships).  Following ships constantly snaking back and forth behind ship they are following / in formation with instead of sailing in line.  Some ships randomly slowing way down because another ship behind them gets too close, consequently breaking both of their ability to keep formation.  Only solution is to detach all ships and reform over and over again, although I noticed toggling through different formation spacing sometimes seemed to reset the AI and get them to settle down.  One thing I noticed is that things may be made worse if the formation leader has a lower max speed than a follower. E.g. a ship in formation with a 28 kt max ship is following too close and snaking back and forth, but constantly shows (on speed slider pop-up) that it is trying to achieve its own max of 32 kts.

Edited by akd

On 1/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

- Flash Fire and Detonations now properly reduce the exploding ammo. Moreover, the chance of receiving a Flash Fire or Detonation is directly dependent on current ammo storage, so if ammo is zero, the chance becomes zero.

So does that mean the ammo det chance slides down with ammo? In other words, if my original ammo det chance at full load was "x", if I deplete my ammo to 50% is my det chance (x * 0.5)? 

I had a really weird  thing happen to me yesterday and I think it is a bug. I started a campaign as UK 1940. I had one convoy battle at the second month, then  no other battle. I am at 1950 and not a single other battle happened.  I know that  standoff build ups are a bit realistic, but frankly that is absurd.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:47 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

- Flash Fire and Detonations now properly reduce the exploding ammo. Moreover, the chance of receiving a Flash Fire or Detonation is directly dependent on current ammo storage, so if ammo is zero, the chance becomes zero.

So does that mean the ammo det chance slides down with ammo? In other words, if my original ammo det chance at full load was "x", if I deplete my ammo to 50% is my det chance (x * 0.5) or at least some number less than X? 

15 hours ago, o Barão said:

rt1wV2l.jpg

Edit: doing 400knots+ and still gaining speed.

ydlMPUj.jpg

TTgxjso.jpg

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

We will fix this bug, it revealed an old problem of map bounds, plus other.

This is a hilarious bug I have to say