Game-Labs Forum
admin

Recent changes to sea trials

i love both change.

I hated to see farmer joining a massiv pvp fleet of frig and sol in cutter or brig just to farm

I'm exiting about ship loos and curious to see what dev plan

If you see them as a farmer doing that then its your own problem of not taking use of your friendly ships.

I have seen in near every game i have been in the cutters and brigs provide pretty significant support to surprises and even victorys protecting their rear from being camped and also harassing enemy SoLs to the point they actually change targets giving respite to friendly ships in need of repair.

All it takes is communication and 99% of the small ships will follow orders and help.

Well looks like I picked a bad time to get my feet wet with Naval Action.

First, I read you were going to stop selling pre-orders but I hoping that means at a future date, not that you are holding up issuing keys especially since I just make my purchase yesterday and am looking forward to a key today.

Devs have already stated keys will go out...Preorders have stopped, not those who have already bought.

Second, if I understand this right, as a new player, I am going to be stuck fighting bots until I unlock the Cerberus correct?

Nope, PVP is(was) everyone. PVP light is Snow and down and is still pvp.

How long is this going to take because one of the reasons I decided to get in on early access was for the PvP action and was expecting to be able to jump in on that right away.

still can

I can deal with this because well it is a test but coupled with the loss and re-acquistion mechanic I have concerns.  More on that later.

we don't know how they will do it yet, but yes, we need to come up with scenarios that potentially break the system so the devs can address them before implementing the system.

Also I have to admit, I am concerned about the statement about getting rid of toxic players.  I understand keeping a positive community is important but this is a purchased Alpha which means people have paid for the access to the game.  That being the case, aside from a violation of policy how do you go about getting rid of them?  Revoking access after someone has paid, even if they aren't a pillar of your community, is very concerning.  I mean while I don't intend to be a toxic players, since I have paid for access, I do expect to have access to the game.

It really isn't any different from players who get banned from other games because of exploiting, trolling, attacking admins and other players, etc. We will have to see how they handle it. If it isn't handled well, then yes it will be a problem. But if they do it right it will be good for the game.

I have to ask, is there actually any point to generic "PVP" now, other then allowing the cerberus to play.... against ships that it would fight in trafalgar anyway? The way it was basically was "lights can go here" "everyone can go here but 99% its medium level ships learning" then "come to the ships of the line only party".

Now its "lights" "cerberus and up" "surprise and up". The middle seems to be pointless without lights.

• Like 6

Many good points brought up so far. I'm not sure that banning light ships from PVP is the anwser because it seems like the Santis were the problem to begin with. For the past few weeks I've used every ship in PVP, which I assume is good for testing purposes. I'd hate to lose the ability to support a Victory with my snow and lose the chance to test how it matches up with the new Cerberus.

• Like 1

I have to ask, is there actually any point to generic "PVP" now, other then allowing the cerberus to play.... against ships that it would fight in trafalgar anyway? The way it was basically was "lights can go here" "everyone can go here but 99% its medium level ships learning" then "come to the ships of the line only party".

Now its "lights" "cerberus and up" "surprise and up". The middle seems to be pointless without lights.

Fully Agree (out of likes for the day)

• Like 1

I like this feature about losing the ship but ships should be hard to lose like in reality.Don't know if you plan to implement the new damage model(perhaps not yet judjing from  the ability to regain the ship after collecting it's damage again)

Losing the ship permanently, in my opinion, must come together with the new damage system to test it to it's fullest.Rammers will stop doing that, people will value their fire even more and battle tactics will change probably to what was more used back to the age of sail.

I see that most players will start to play PVE even more than PVP cause AI ships can easily be beaten compared to players.Except if you are planning to upgrade the AI ships in PVE and make them more competent.

There is some good people joining pvp in small ships to help bigger ship or to discover them or just to see what they can do into the battle with them. For all of them, i'm sorry that they can't join pvp right now.

But for one of them, how many have we seen staying around sol when we asked them to follow in blob or to stay away?

The second thing thatmake me curious is what happend if:

I play victo and lost it

I play bello to get back my victo but lost it

I play consti to get back my bello but lost it...

Finally i have to farm again all ships ^^?

Actually, I'd like to request reconsideration of the removal of light ships from PvP as well.  If needed for testing purposes, then fine.  I understand.  If simply a measure to address exploits, then I think other means might be found?  I ask because I think open PvP is actually fertile training and testing ground for Open World, where ships of different size and numbers will be engaging each other.  Of course, we can hone our small ship hunting pack tactics later on if necessary, but if such engagements are not fully tested now, then issues may arise later.  

Yeah, the irony here is that in preventing these 'exploits,' the devs are considerably narrowing the range of player interaction. I really don't think anyone needs to test frigate vs frigate that much. How many thousands of hours of playtime have we collectively logged that way.

It's the strange mismatched situations that need to be tested. That's what professional beta testers do. Think up weird, unexpected scenarios and try to break the game.

I think SoL battles were loads of fun with little carronade snows running around. And I had a Bellona at the time.

• Like 1

Perhaps a different system of progression is in order, one not open to exploits?  But what?

Time logged in ship x + minimum damage + number of battles in ship x?

Thus, you can have all the damage you want, if you farm it, but if you haven't actually used that ship in more than x battles for at least five minutes then you haven't actually tested the vessel.  Now, this may be exploitable in PvE and as such, perhaps, like with duels, these should no count towards progression or their weight could be reduced compared to pvp in the damage/time formula. 

Just throwing stuff at the wall.

• Like 1

When it comes to game development, sometimes you just gotta throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. I'm all for the upcoming changes.

• Like 1

Stop... So much fear. Don't worry how it is implemented, because the first implementation will be "wrong".

It is only through your alpha testing that deb's can get it "right".

Worst case, battle stats show that 95% of alpha is sailing 100% of the time in Lynx. That's the input they need.

But wait. Don't speculate. And stop the fear :)

Ps- sorry page 4,i stopped read after pg 3...so hopefully my post is not out of context!

• Like 1

I would like to see the little guys in pvp. I have it all unlocked but I love jumping in the smaller ships and having fun trying to make myself as useful as possible in battle. It is useful testing. Splitting things won't fix the issues that are trying to be dealt with anyway.

"Oh shit, if I see Leviathan on the other side...I'll make sure he is reduced to a yacht by telling my whole team to target him every game" is exactly what I hope will be avoided

Major: In one of the next sea trial patches we want to test a ship loss mechanic. In this new model if you sink or get boarded,  you will lose this ship and will have to reacquire it again. Progression numbers will be adjusted to fit this new model. 

I'm not sure if it's a good way to test a ship loss mechanic. With no economy and all the "open world stuff", everything will come to "I died so I have to grind my damage stats again". What are we going to test with only damage stats present?

About the small ships in PVP. Personally, I don't care. I had no fun being plankton in a battle, but I know that some of other guys liked to attack heavy frigates with a cutter. If it's all about powerlevelling issue, those players should be hunted down and have their accounts reset, block or anything else. You shouldn't limit all the fair community because of some players being assholes.

Lets wait until we are there and we will see and discuss. I am sure the Devs want us to play the game not pull our hair out, they always come through.

Actually, I'd like to request reconsideration of the removal of light ships from PvP as well.  If needed for testing purposes, then fine.  I understand.  If simply a measure to address exploits, then I think other means might be found?  I ask because I think open PvP is actually fertile training and testing ground for Open World, where ships of different size and numbers will be engaging each other.  Of course, we can hone our small ship hunting pack tactics later on if necessary, but if such engagements are not fully tested now, then issues may arise later.

Would Decatur Armada be willing to actively report exploiters?

• Like 1

But there was going to be no progression...

Sea trials progression forces alpha testers to play a certain number of battles in each ship. On average 15-20 battles.

Open world is a completely different story it will be based on military or court rank only. No levels

Sea trials progression forces alpha testers to play a certain number of battles in each ship. On average 15-20 battles.

Open world is a completely different story it will be based on military or court rank only. No levels

Makes sense.

I look forward to seeing how you guys figure out the permanent ship loss and re-buying in the sea trials.  It will certainly add a new dynamic.

This feels like doing surgery with a sledgehammer rather than with a scalpel.

I feel like other than a handful of players abusing their STs, most of the community has been working just fine with the way things were 2 days ago. These changes feel like I'm being punished for what someone else did. :(

• Like 1

I was wondering if you are also considering testing a basic money earning/reward system too? Or are you waiting till open world to test that aspect of the game

1) Please allow players to flee (out of bounds perhaps) when they are certain to lose, why would I sink my ship in real life if I'm outnumbered?

2) This would work if its the same number of wins/losses for going up OR down. If I win with a ship I get the next one, I lose I lose it. Or two and two, etc. If its slanted toward needing more wins to get to the next ship people will be frustrated.

I can only speak for myself but I am also pretty sure of the others feelings on this but yes we will, we want the game to be right, no room for exploits.

This feels like doing surgery with a sledgehammer rather than with a scalpel.

I feel like other than a handful of players abusing their STs, most of the community has been working just fine with the way things were 2 days ago. These changes feel like I'm being punished for what someone else did. :(

Patch was given 2 days ago.

As you have witnessed we are ready to use sledgehammer against exploiters getting all in blood in the process. We recommend you report exploiters in the future if you want the game to stay the way you like it.