Game-Labs Forum

[Solution] Invalid design issue due to corrupted saves.

If you attempt to start a battle but the ship is considered "Invalid" for no apparent reason then please follow the below procedure:

CUSTOM BATTLES
Delete your custom battle saves because the new patch probably corrupted them.
Go to:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts
and delete the file:
custom_battle_data.json

NAVAL ACADEMY
If you have the same problem in Naval Academy, you can delete this file too:
mission_data.json

Alternatively, delete manually the old designs within the game, and exit/enter the design interface.

• Like 2

Custom battle, some year, country. Can't launch a ship because of some problem it actually doesn't have (second tower is needed - but it does have both towers!!!), turns out the problem is caused by some other ship I have in my design saves that either got it's design messed up because of an update or is laying unfinished & forgotten. 

9 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

If you attempt to start a battle but the ship is considered "Invalid" for no apparent reason then please follow the below procedure:

CUSTOM BATTLES
Delete your custom battle saves because the new patch probably corrupted them.
Go to:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts
and delete the file:
custom_battle_data.json

Alternatively, delete manually the old designs within the game, and exit/enter the design interface.

Got this issue just now... Closed the game, deleted the said file, open the game & found I lost all my designs I spent so much time on building/tweaking. Restored the file overwriting the newly created one. Turns out the issue was caused by one design which was using the hull thats no longer available for that year/country after the patch.

The issue is back!

vmkqNNrTel2v.jpg?o=1

It just doesn't even let me go French 1BB vs German 1BB in custom battle, yet choosing German BB vs French BB doesn't bring this error. All designs I have are fully finished & playable.

I'm not going to delete any file to lose all my designs again, so please fix this error somehow with upcoming update!

Edited by Captain Meow
  • Like 1

I am experiencing the same issue with my 1920 German BCs in Custom Battle. I have several designs saved for all ship types in my 1920 german shipyard, and the game just won't let me play if I've only got 1 or more BCs in the fleet composition screen. The error message is the same as Captain Meow's, repeated about 4-5 times.

However, strangely, if I have ships of different types in my fleet, say 1 BB, 1 BC and 1 CA, the game will allow me to launch the battle. You could try that and see if it lets you play. Might help isolate the issue, one little step at a time.

Yes, if having ships of other types included in a custom battle, then it's playable. But having only 1 type among all BB, CA, CL I have for France of this year is unplayable, as if I must include every time all types I created so far. The issue returned after I played a battle where I had all ship types present, yet before I could go 1BB or 1 BB & 2CL vs several types just fine.

Edited by Captain Meow
  • Like 1

I would like to share some additional info about the "Design Invalid: Can not build. Select a ship of the required type" issue.

I put together a small collection of designs for the 1918 Italian Navy, including 2 BBs, 1 CA, 1 DD and 1 CL. Everything was working fine, until I completed my 2nd CA design. Now I cannot start a custom battle unless I have at least 1 CA and 1 BB in my task force.

If I try to go for a 1 CA vs 1 CA or 1 BB vs 1 BB duel vs the AI, for instance, the "Design Invalid" error will appear and prevent me from playing.

I've had 2 BB designs up there for a couple days and the game still worked fine. The error message only appeared when I added a new CA design - the issue may appear for any Navy in any year when there is more than 1 non-BB design in your custom list of ships, I think.

482752150_DesignInvalidIssue.thumb.jpg.bc87515b7e21639a4f92138af23c3896.jpg

• Like 1

Agreed, once a CA design is added to collection of saved designs, the game will be showing that error unless CA design is also selected for the custom battle.  I have such for my French 1895 designs which include many BBs, CAs, CLs, TBs, yet I don't have this error for my German 1895 design collection where I have only BBs & CLs - I can easily select 1BB vs many various enemy ships without error.

As it was pointed out by Nick Thomadis, the problem is likely caused by some of the ships in my 1918 Italian Navy - ships that I designed in a previous version of the game (1.02).

I auto-designed 2 ships of each class for a 1920 French Navy just now, in 1.03 Beta (each ship being from the same version of the game) and no "Design Invalid: Can not build. Select a ship of the required type" error appears. It all works.

I just might have to track down and delete all of my old designs to fix this.

Edited by BilgeRat22

Used the in-game bug report feature about exactly this not half an hour ago; I bought the game on Steam today, played a few custom battles just fine (1940s British in all cases); I had 1xBB 1xCA 1xDD in my library at the time I played some battleship duels, which worked just fine. I made a CL and tried a couple of fights with that and it was also fine, but when I then went to try CA vs CA it started throwing this issue on my preexisting CA build. Hadn't thought to consider ship classes until I read this thread.

It seems to come pared with a bogus "some parts are badly placed" error, at least for me - any superstructure I've used the shift-drag mechanic to fine-tune into close proximity complains, but I can click and then shift-drag them into the exact same position and they work just fine. This issue persists even when adding both my BB and my CA to the lineup makes the "choose correct ship type" error go away.

I'll have to rebuild them I guess. Cheers for the fix!

• 3 months later...

It now seems that there's a specific variant of this bug happening in game, which annoys me to no end. For example, I pick Japan to build a BB in 1940. I give the BB for a spin in a battle, then afterwards I exit to the menu to create a BC. Now the problem is that at times the BB's design is corrupted, forcing me to delete it, and then redesign it from scratch with altered design choices and values. Could you please find a way to fix this problem, as it's quite time consuming to redesign your ships when this bug is constantly haunting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 8:07 AM, PanzerMk34 said:

It now seems that there's a specific variant of this bug happening in game, which annoys me to no end. For example, I pick Japan to build a BB in 1940. I give the BB for a spin in a battle, then afterwards I exit to the menu to create a BC. Now the problem is that at times the BB's design is corrupted, forcing me to delete it, and then redesign it from scratch with altered design choices and values. Could you please find a way to fix this problem, as it's quite time consuming to redesign your ships when this bug is constantly haunting.

Same here. I notice it happen a lot more when there are a lot of designs saved on the file. 

my savefile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11agnDstw3dhU1E8susLKMVgm_GzvJJu_/view?usp=sharing