Game-Labs Forum

3 hours ago, Littorio said:

Because...devs can only make so many hulls?

It's not simply building a 3D model, it takes alot to compile all the extra coding e.g. placement nodes, components borders, fitting associated towers, funnels and parts (per nation), tonnage and all the parameters such as hull form, stability, floatability, resistances & surface visibility and everything else I missed, this all has to done by the programmer, hard coded. 

All that has to done so ordinary joe blog can assemble their ship and doesn't have to be a professional. 

This is probably why modular hull system wasn't suited. 

All this is not because they are slow or that they don't have many staff but because it's complex.

Edited by Skeksis

8 hours ago, Skeksis said:

It's not simply building a 3D model, it takes alot to compile all the extra coding e.g. placement nodes, components borders, fitting associated towers, funnels and parts (per nation), tonnage and all the parameters such as hull form, stability, floatability, resistances & surface visibility and everything else I missed, this all has to done by the programmer, hard coded. 

All that has to done so ordinary joe blog can assemble their ship and doesn't have to be a professional. 

This is probably why modular hull system wasn't suited. 

All this is not because they are slow or that they don't have many staff but because it's complex.

Well for a game that is totally reliant on said hulls for the expansion and future success of the program, they should develop mod tools for those of us crazy enough/knowledgeable enough to do it. I'm sure there are several people on here who would be happy to take it on in their spare time. I have seen a few people doing naval schematic models. Even if people can only use those self-built models themselves, it would go a long way to taking the pressure off the devs. Less time building hulls means more time actually fleshing out features.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

G3 and N3 were both essentially battleships - the battlecruiser designation was only applied to G3 because it was the faster and lighter-armed of the pair. If you look at the specifics of G3's protection scheme and armament, it's considerably better-armed and protected than contemporary battleship designs - the basis of comparison would really be 30s and 40s battleships, rather than contemporary battlecruisers like the Amagis and Lexingtons. N3 trades speed down to 23 knots for better armour and 3x3 18" guns, on a roughly similar hull.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 11:48 AM, Littorio said:

Well for a game that is totally reliant on said hulls for the expansion and future success of the program, they should develop mod tools for those of us crazy enough/knowledgeable enough to do it. I'm sure there are several people on here who would be happy to take it on in their spare time. I have seen a few people doing naval schematic models. Even if people can only use those self-built models themselves, it would go a long way to taking the pressure off the devs. Less time building hulls means more time actually fleshing out features.

Easy to use mod tools are a lot of work to make. It is already possible to mod the game using unity tools, except for the compiled code. (And even the compiled code could be modded by a competent reverse engineer, there just isn't any good mechanism for combining multiple code mods since il2cpp isn't compatible with harmony.)