Game-Labs Forum

Weather + Sea State + Time of Day

Littorio

So one thing we vitally need ASAP is actual night backgrounds and proper conditions. It's jarring and incongruous with the penalties we get. Perhaps I and others could also be less harsh with the spotting system if we saw that it was ACTUALLY "Night - Stormy - Strong Gale - Very Rough." This picture shows none of those things. I'm not asking for super-intense, graphically-perfect conditions, but we need something other than blue skies and mist.

night.thumb.jpeg.e042180b17e010e0818b0e328eef2226.jpeg

Another example: All the same conditions except Day vs. Night and no real difference. It's hard to take battles seriously this way and Steam people will likely eat it alive because they won't see where their debuffs are coming from.

stormy.thumb.jpg.65da679f3e006cdfa8d91406ae92d3ae.jpg

• Like 6

95% of new players aren't going to check the weather conditions (which doesn't even show you anything unless you mouse over it) and assume that the 3D environment reflects the conditions.  This, combined with an already very confusing spotting system, will cause huge amounts of confusion and frustration.  I would strongly recommend removing any weather / time conditions that the needed art / effects are not ready for yet from the battle generator, lest this truly bomb on Steam.  There are lots of unfinished and unpolished aspects of the game, but this is baffling.

Edited by akd
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akd said:

95% of new players aren't going to check the weather conditions (which doesn't even show you anything unless you mouse over it) and assume that the 3D environment reflects the conditions.  This, combined with an already very confusing spotting system, will cause huge amounts of confusion and frustration.  I would strongly recommend removing any weather / time conditions for campaign battles that the needed art / effects are not ready for yet, lest this truly bomb on Steam.  There are lots of unfinished and unpolished aspects of the game, but this is baffling.

That's exactly what I have been banging on about. People are just going to review bomb it because they will see sunny skies and go "WTF is going on it's clear and nice!" Meanwhile in reality you'll be in the middle of a ridiculously invisible full gale with high seas and a visibility of 1km at best. I agree...at this point it might just be best to remove all "weather and time" effects. Since no one can see them, and they really do nothing but get in the way when they interact with the spotting system, I see no game benefit to them. As for realism, well we will need the conditions actually visible for that to make any sense.

Edited by Littorio

10 hours ago, The_Real_Hawkeye said:

Agreed, it took me quite a few hours to realize that it was, in fact, night sometimes.

6 hours ago, Airzerg said:

Много часов? Ха-ха! Я только что узнал, что в этой игре есть ночь!

Yes it is was very annoying when I first figured out all the conditions we were under but couldn't see. This won't be good for a wider release...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Littorio said:

An interesting observation I made. I have never seen this in campaign before ever but apparently it's in Custom Battles. We need more stuff like this.

sun.thumb.jpg.776d8c3e3e97bb507a0da8157be64641.jpg

I saw that in campaign today when i had a penalty for sun glare, i was suprised though the sun was at my back.... not sure why i was suffering from sun glare

2 hours ago, Danelin Aruna said:

I saw that in campaign today when i had a penalty for sun glare, i was suprised though the sun was at my back.... not sure why i was suffering from sun glare

Weird...I only ever have the exact same background in campaign. Maybe it happens only on later start dates or something?

So from the latest update of v98 it looks like I see more than just blue sky which is good, more clouds overall. However...

As you can see it is supposed to be a CLEAR day, not an overcast one.... @Nick Thomadis can we have some information on the current weather systems and how backgrounds are generated for certain conditions?

clouds.thumb.jpg.999f2fc0eeca61fa30a33070975463bd.jpg