Game-Labs Forum

Compartments need changing ASAP

Malakin

The number of watertight compartments. bulkheads and decks needs to be a variable rather than a constant depending on ship size and number of bulkheads stat. Damage control for small ships needs reducing in capability (all ships really, till very late techs anyway).

The whole torpedo boat mess has shed more light on what has been a massive problem in the damage system in the game. Torpedos boats currently take damage better than ships ten times their size and a 200t boat should not take more than a handful of 4inch hits to take out. at most a ship of this size should have is four or five compartments on a single deck and damage should spread between them easily when hit by large enough weapons.

Even light cruisers are tanking shells that they really should not in their current state.

• Like 4

I had an enemy TB take 8x5" shells and 12x4" shells before sinking.
That's a 200 ton boat just shrugging off fire. It seems to me that it is because flooding is countered very quickly, and even the TBs have multiple underwater compartments.
I imagine that a 200ton ship in 1891 moving at 23 knows that has a 5" shell hit underwater, especially near the front, will be underwater in seconds.

This happens because ship "hit points" is proportional to tonnage + 5000. So even a 200t TB counts as having 5200t worth of HP.

IMO it would be better to have hp proportional to tonnage^x where x is somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3. This is still sublinear but not as disproportionate at the low end.

• Like 2

I slapped a torp boat with 4 15" torpedoes.  Because they all hit the same spot more or less amidships, everything after the first caused no further flooding, only damage.  A further FOUR 10" HE shells from a BB's main gun hit.  It was still afloat (barely) and still had a scrap of HP...and 20/23 crew.  How, in the name of whatever deity of naval power of your choice, does ANY of that work?  The TB's are so small that if you parked one in a parking lot, the blast radius of a 10" shell would leave a crater bigger than the boat.  That's why TBs attacked in swarms, as I understand it.  They were EXPECTED to get blown out of the water, but if you lose 1000t of TB taking out a 10,000t battleship, that's an excellent trade.  TBs and DDs in this game are so very frustrating under the current damage model.

I'm not sure how much of UA:D is moddable, because if things remain as they are, I'll be looking to realism mods to make improvements to how detection, spotting, identification, and engagement at range works.  Some of it is okay now, but some of it is bonkers mental 'why is this like this?'.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, UnleashtheKraken said:

I slapped a torp boat with 4 15" torpedoes.  Because they all hit the same spot more or less amidships, everything after the first caused no further flooding, only damage.  A further FOUR 10" HE shells from a BB's main gun hit.  It was still afloat (barely) and still had a scrap of HP...and 20/23 crew.  How, in the name of whatever deity of naval power of your choice, does ANY of that work?  The TB's are so small that if you parked one in a parking lot, the blast radius of a 10" shell would leave a crater bigger than the boat.  That's why TBs attacked in swarms, as I understand it.  They were EXPECTED to get blown out of the water, but if you lose 1000t of TB taking out a 10,000t battleship, that's an excellent trade.  TBs and DDs in this game are so very frustrating under the current damage model.

I'm not sure how much of UA:D is moddable, because if things remain as they are, I'll be looking to realism mods to make improvements to how detection, spotting, identification, and engagement at range works.  Some of it is okay now, but some of it is bonkers mental 'why is this like this?'.

I think I saw somewhere that they said a flooding overhaul is in the works.

• Like 1