Game-Labs Forum

Core Patch 1.0 News *The upcoming changelog*

Nick Thomadis

19 hours ago, Zuikaku said:

So what is the difference between leaked now scrapped campaign and the upcoming one?

To Taktcom it was like the 1st or second version. So 2019. 

The original campaign was advertised to basically be RTW with 3D graphics. Those I know who play RTW fully considered, and the talk on the forums followed this trend at the time, that they wouldn't just copy paste the game but would take the general concept and improve on it. That means operational control rather than a random battle generator, AI wars, more interactions with minor nations(like the ability to build ships for minor nations and potentially seize them during war), more in-depth alliance systems and better allies in combat(this kinda goes hand in hand with AI wars). That is a lot, at the very least we expected RTW with 3d graphics, at most we expected a better game than RTW. 

The leaked campaign was basically RTW with 3d graphics. That simple. Not finished and unpolished but that was what it was. I'm not a game dev but I'd say it was no more than a year from being finished. All the nations were there though I can't remember if all were actually in the game when you played or if it was limited to 5 or so like RTW does. You had sea zones, diplomacy through random events that popped up every turn, like half the tech tree was done, you had a budget and economy like RTW( not a crazy in-depth economic system, you know what I mean if you've played RTW at all). I saw a screenshot from someone building ships for a minor nation like I described above, I've looked for it multiple times but can't find it. It wasn't stable and there were no saves so it was hard to progress really far. I made it like 3 years in, went to war with the US as the UK. Lost a legacy pre-dread to some TB's in the Atlantic(V1 TB's were lethal to kinda everything-secondaries were so bad). Random events cost prestige, there were threat levels and if it got high enough you went to war. If you've played RTW it was that but it unpolished and looked cooler. 

2 years later and they're giving us less than that. Far less. They said they scrapped that whole campaign. And have given almost no details on why or what replaced it except for what it doesn't have.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Jatzi said:

2 years later and they're giving us less than that. Far less. They said they scrapped that whole campaign. And have given almost no details on why or what replaced it except for what it doesn't have.

Thanks for the summary of how the campaign used to be, I missed out on playing it back then and couldn't find videos afterwards.

However, I'm not sure why everyone's crying wolf about the campaign - where did the devs say they scrapped their campaign concept?
Nick said "The campaign version of the game has been remade from scratch" - remaking something, to me, means building the same thing, but in a way that works.

So, best case, we'll still get what was promised, with a preliminary version with only two nations and perpetual war as was announced when we first heard about the core patches, and a full campaign through the next big updates.

Of course they also could've scrapped their entire campaign premise and we'll be stuck with a glorified random battles mode for a campaign, but that's entirely speculation.

I think we should wait for what the first campaign versions looks like before we declare it an atrocity.

4 hours ago, Jatzi said:

To Taktcom it was like the 1st or second version. So 2019.

Thanks. I bought UA:D in October 2019,  but stuck in academy for a long time and completely missing opportunity to play company😭 In hindsight, I should to play less UA:D on my computer and "play" UA:D more on YouTube😂

• Like 1

......So am I the only one who's actually looking forward to the first part of the campaign? Sure it doesn't have everything they advertised but I wasn't expecting it to have everything out of the gate. (especially since that would probably be a massive buggy mess) I'm more than willing getting the campaign piece by piece so we can "judge it" piece by piece instead all at once. Now I'm not ok with the lack of communication but that doesn't mean they don't listen. I remember the 20inch guns and British super BBs discussions and I was apart of the group who wanted that stuff and was very happy when we got them (still am.) Now I'll admit I would love some early hulls any day (and I'm pretty sure they're just getting the late hulls out of the way so they can put all they're focus on the early hulls) I'm happy to see bug fixes and new components to ships (even if their minor). So I'm more than willing to remain on this game till the very end to see how everything goes. Also seeing how they just release a new game on Steam I get the feeling they were being pulled away from Dreadnoughts to work on that and their other games.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, CapnAvont1015 said:

......So am I the only one who's actually looking forward to the first part of the campaign? Sure it doesn't have everything they advertised but I wasn't expecting it to have everything out of the gate. (especially since that would probably be a massive buggy mess) I'm more than willing getting the campaign piece by piece so we can "judge it" piece by piece instead all at once. Now I'm not ok with the lack of communication but that doesn't mean they don't listen. I remember the 20inch guns and British super BBs discussions and I was apart of the group who wanted that stuff and was very happy when we got them (still am.) Now I'll admit I would love some early hulls any day (and I'm pretty sure they're just getting the late hulls out of the way so they can put all they're focus on the early hulls) I'm happy to see bug fixes and new components to ships (even if their minor). So I'm more than willing to remain on this game till the very end to see how everything goes. Also seeing how they just release a new game on Steam I get the feeling they were being pulled away from Dreadnoughts to work on that and their other games.

I am excited about it as well. 

• Like 2

very much looking forward to the campaign. interesting that they talk about manually moving ships around the map sounds like a decent amount of the fulll campaign is inspired by total war and im guessing rule the waves

so when is it coming though lol we need a date now!

14 hours ago, Tousansons said:

Is there some evidence backing a playable build? Other than some old screenshots showing an incomplete tech tree and a start menu?

I sometime live under a rock. But i m sure i wouldn t have missed something like that.

I believe it was in one of the patch notes that they get rid of it. Like V2 or 3 they said something like patched a bug that allowed access to an early version of the campaign or something like that. 

@Terka1917

You could be right. I don't know, after all this time and with what they're giving us I highly doubt they kept the old campaign. After two years of no campaign when I hear remade from scratch I think they scrapped it. It only makes sense. Especially with how they're releasing it. Yeah it's possible they could get useful info about certain aspects of the campaign from just an endless brawl between two nations in one sea zone. Be a good test of a battle generator I guess, maybe an economic system.

But honestly, just imo, if they had anything more than they do I feel they'd release it. Assume it's still mostly RTW-esque. You get far more out of a test including multiple nations and sea zones than you do just two nations in one sea zone. And they've said the economy is rudimentary, the tech is half finished, no diplomacy, limited ship movement. Those first 3 are the main things you could test with a limited campaign release. To me this means a few things, the campaign is extremely far from being finished, we're getting what is done, and two their vision has likely changed. 

I think in 2020 when they "reorganized" someone was telling them to take the game in a certain way, someone disagreed and quit or got fired and their work, i.e. the campaign, got thrown out along with them. Maybe they were already talking to that company that bought them and wanted to shift the game a certain way to appeal more towards them, help convince them to buy game-labs. 

Edited by Jatzi
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Jatzi said:

I believe it was in one of the patch notes that they get rid of it. Like V2 or 3 they said something like patched a bug that allowed access to an early version of the campaign or something like that. 

You believe or you are sure?

You realize you are telling at a very opportune moment that "you" played a version of the campaign "we" did not. And you use that special knowledge to pile on an already dubious patch preview?

Unless you have serious evidence about this, I suggest you stop. It's rather easy to dig your forum history and see that during these times you never said you played something resembling a leaked campaign.

Edited by Tousansons
He did say it

11 hours ago, Jatzi said:

I think in 2020 when they "reorganized" someone was telling them to take the game in a certain way, someone disagreed and quit or got fired and their work, i.e. the campaign, got thrown out along with them. Maybe they were already talking to that company that bought them and wanted to shift the game a certain way to appeal more towards them, help convince them to buy game-labs. 

Whatever the development history is, I think it will be interesting to know since more ambitious naval games that were announced later (War on the Sea, Sea Power, Task Force Admiral) may beat them to market. The RTW2 expansion may as well, they've been good about showing their progress

Having said all that, and NDAs aside, it would be bad form to tell tales out of school now. The industry is small, you don't want to get a reputation for running your mouth and all, but I do wonder if there is more to the troubled development of this title than just technical hurdles. 

We don't need specifics on the why's, but it would be nice to know what's going on. That's something that I think the community here and on steam is unified on at this point. 

Hello, 
I am sorry, but I am personally very very busy to follow and respond to all questions. I want to inform you that the build, today, will enter closed testing. We will inform the usual testers in our closed forum when it becomes available.

If all is ok, we will release at the start of next week.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello, 
I am sorry, but I am personally very very busy to follow and respond to all questions. I want to inform you that the build, today, will enter closed testing. We will inform the usual testers in our closed forum when it becomes available.

If all is ok, we will release at the start of next week.

I would like to be a tester if that is possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tousansons said:

You believe or you are sure?

You realize you are telling at a very opportune moment that "you" played a version of the campaign "we" did not. And you use that special knowledge to pile on an already dubious patch preview?

Unless you have serious evidence about this, I suggest you stop. It's rather easy to dig your forum history and see that during these times you never said you played something resembling a leaked campaign.

Lmao this isn't the first time I've talked about this. I know for a fact I've mentioned it before on here. Not my fault if you can't find it. Nor am I the only one to talk about it, I didn't discover the bug for instance. I think I'm just the only one left who still gets on the forums occasionally. I know Alekius kept the build with the bug in there and has played it since they patched it out, but he doesn't come here nor will he post a vid about it for obvious reasons. 

EDIT: 2 seconds of searching through my recorded posts in 2019 and I found it lol. Alpha 1 v60 on October 12, 2019. Lmao I think I was the first person to say it on the forums probably alerting them to the existence of the bug and the next day you couldn't do it anymore. My bad. 

Edited by Jatzi
  • Like 1