Game-Labs Forum

Core Patch 1.0 News *The upcoming changelog*

Nick Thomadis

I think the Steam release will be a failure. All the negativity accumulated on this forum will splash out there. Potential players will only see negative reviews. And the reason for this is not the quality of the game, but the quality of the development team.
It's a pity, because the game is good, even unfinished.

• Like 3

I can agree that their (devs) community management is awfull. They leave us with feeling that they just don't care. 

I also can agree that they are doing some bad design decisions (by insisting on superbattleship hulls).

But I'm somewhat reluctant to agree on that they do not listen. They do improve things we report. Hell, I even put more blame on community than on devs regarding superbattleship hull spam we are witnessing now. Who can not remember times when fair chunk of community (under obvious influence of WoWs and similar shooters) insisted on 100k tonnes BBs and 20" quad turrets. Some of you begged for this and these of you are to blame for UAD moving into the waters of unrealistic shooter. The devs are to blame for bending under pressure. 

So, yes, I'm also concerned for the future of this game. I'm worried that WoW fans will ruin it. I'm worried by Game labs policy of maintaining complete radio silence.

I woul'd love to see this game finished but I'm concerned. We are kept in dark, community is fed up and everything seems to be falling apart.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

it is very nice to finally see the first campaign.

thou it is disappointing that it starts as "endless ship grinder to the death", and I wonder what I'm suppose to do without ship movement on the campaign map, but at least it is a start and I will give it a try.

What I do hope is that the Enemy has a consisting fleet and not that the game randomly creates the ships a new in every battle.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zuikaku said:

Who can not remember times when fair chunk of community (under obvious influence of WoWs and similar shooters) insisted on 100k tonnes BBs and 20" quad turrets. Some of you begged for this and these of you are to blame for UAD moving into the waters of unrealistic shooter. The devs are to blame for bending under pressure. 

The frustrating part is that those people have moved on, but their influence remains.

When you get down to it the “Core” audience is naval enthusiasts - the people still on this forum after all that’s happened - and the “Bandwagon” arcade players moved on to other titles at the first speed bump. 

Any game benefits from people who will buy games they see under “New & Trending” on Steam, but basing design decisions on them, when they’ve already gotten bored and moved on, is frustrating. It’s no mystery, we know that channels streaming this game attracted this crowd, but slow development caused streamers to move on, and their audience with them. I want this game to sell well. I want there to be hype and great Steam reviews, but all of that requires a solid game underneath it all. 

I’m not at all insisting on a title for purists, only that hurting relationships with the “Core” community has put this game in troubled waters as they are now the only people left, and aren’t particularly happy. They’re also the ones who would be leaving those initial Steam reviews that the hype and Bandwagon crowd coalesce around. 

Edited by DougToss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Lovely to see the announcement!

Tho as many people have said, just the lack of arguably the most interesting and deverse time of naval history, the time from 1890-1920, where so many different designs and ideas were tested and every ship basically looked completely different.

I mean it is very likely a huge pain in the butt to model of it but it is also very interesting to see. That's probably the biggest thing missing from the game...

And for the issue with the super battleships, they are decently cool and interesting what if concepts and building an 18" armed "light cruiser" is also an interesting what if scenario (also I am looking at HMS Incomparable)

I am just hoping they have a couple surprises up their sleeves regarding this!

I am cautiously excited for it, and finally a reason to spend more than 5min with the game because the of the lack of actual content that is worth while playing

• Like 2

And also, try to calm your tits people, I am not trying to defend or even forgive them for their actions and complete lack of communication (you reaaally gotta work on that guys) but it also doesn't help if their forum/hometurf is just a hell hole of angry people having nothing better to do then just to argue about shit.

I know that everyone is frustrated and especially since we have been have been for like 2-3 years now ?

Especially considering that the first campaign that was available in the first build seemed to be really decent and just gotta add some things and one would have been golden, so it is understandable that people are pretty upset at a lack of actual content to be enjoyed.

Both sides are at fault and again it just shows how important communication is in every part of life, since you can't see what's going on for the other party

Well, the problem with the super battleship hulls and other resistance-building tech proliferating so much is that once you get into 1930's tech (and maybe even a bit earlier), things like 16" guns start to feel outright feeble, even on penetrating hits. The biggest guns mounted by most RL navies should never feel like they're doing tickle damage, especially since it's now impossible to sink AI-built late-tech battleships through any means other than structure damage.

I swear, I've gotten better performance out of those things in Warship Gunner, and that game is all about being whackadoodle.

• Like 2

Here is my theory on what happened to the original campaign.

I bet that before covid, they had a few guys who knew how the campaign functioned and how to manipulate it. Covid came and either they quit or got laid off, so now the only people who knew how the campaign worked no longer work there so they were stuck in limbo and had to eventually scrap it since no one knew how it even worked.

1 hour ago, Noobito said:

I bet that before covid, they had a few guys who knew how the campaign functioned and how to manipulate it. Covid came and either they quit or got laid off, so now the only people who knew how the campaign worked no longer work there so they were stuck in limbo and had to eventually scrap it since no one knew how it even worked.

Or they are just a small dev team and they had too much on the table.  they have three games currently in development. Covid probably did not help, but even without covid I have a feeling they would still be behind.  

Just now, davidt_man said:

Or they are just a small dev team and they had too much on the table.  they have three games currently in development. Covid probably did not help, but even without covid I have a feeling they would still be behind.  

That is honestly absurd. THREE games at the same time? You'd need at least a medium sized team for good efficiency, I'd say. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a developer. 

Just now, Commander Reed said:

That is honestly absurd. THREE games at the same time? You'd need at least a medium sized team for good efficiency, I'd say. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a developer. 

I am not a developer either, but I have heard this idea floated in other comments. the Dev team is working on Dreadnaughts, Age of Sail, and This Land is my Land. all at the same time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noobito said:

My guess was more that they had a working campaign build for internal testing but realized there was some severe flaw with it, and the numerous update delays were a result of them being forced to rebuild the campaign completely from scratch over the last God-knows-how-long. 

I'm admittedly disappointed with the lack of content in the upcoming patch but I look forward to testing the first publicly-available edition of the campaign. I won't even repeat the issue of adding late-game hulls to this patch, as others have already touched on it. Same with the communication issues and so forth.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Commander Reed said:

Those 3 along with sea legends, however age of sail and my land is my land have both been released as far as im aware of. They also have Ultimate general revolutionary war in development as well and still active development in naval action.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Those 3 along with sea legends, however age of sail and my land is my land have both been released as far as im aware of. They also have Ultimate general revolutionary war in development as well and still active development in naval action.

Naval Action is still in development? Could never get into that, I simply just don't have the time to sail around doing nothing for 40 minutes-1 hour. The ships looks beautiful. But age of sail comes out on top gameplay wise for me.

I cant say I'm surprised. Maybe if they focused their attention on one or two projects they'd actually get some work done, and some money. But hey, up to them.

1 hour ago, davidt_man said:

I am not a developer either, but I have heard this idea floated in other comments. the Dev team is working on Dreadnaughts, Age of Sail, and This Land is my Land. all at the same time.

And an Ultimate General: Revolutionary War iirc

And, what are we testing in this campaign that is worth 2 years of waiting? We have been "testing" and giving constant feedback for random shit fighting to the death like it's Warhammer fantasy; And now the campaign is less random shit fighting to the death like it's Warhammer fantasy. Still the same mechanics, again, for the last 2 years.

Had we been informed in a bi-weekly manner regarding the game's development, we could wait until next year to test a fully working campaign, just keep us updated with your progress, and let us help you build the mechanics of the game for god's sake. Stop throwing shit at us to see what stick and then call that influencing the development.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ColonelHenry said:

we could wait until next year to test a fully working campaign,

I am going to share a little secret to you. You can wait for the next year. No one is forcing you to play the campaign. Now the irony is saying "we" could wait when most of the players here are tired of waiting.

just keep us updated with your progress, and let us help you build the mechanics of the game for god's sake.

Interesting, because the point is exactly that. To keep us updated, to get feedback from the gameplay experience and help them . But you can of course ignore all that and come next year.

6 hours ago, o Barão said:

Bull-ducking-shit. To keep us updated. Yea to keep us in the dark for months on end about campaign details, in addition to total silence in between patches. You think I can't see that? Excuse my words but I am not going to waste my time using "nice" words only to be insulted by lies and misdirection. Typical snakes, lying and twisting words to people face like it's their second nature.

And I dare you, make a pole that is fair and square no interference from the devs, see how many people who paid for the E.A privilege would want to be able to directly help create a strong foundation for the game with informative conversations with the dev team once or twice a month with real and realistic impact on the development instead of this mess. And yes I still maintain that a lot of people who wants this game to succeed would rather wait until next year if it means the points above are met.

Edited by ColonelHenry
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Zuikaku said:

I can agree that their (devs) community management is awfull. They leave us with feeling that they just don't care. 

I also can agree that they are doing some bad design decisions (by insisting on superbattleship hulls).

But I'm somewhat reluctant to agree on that they do not listen. They do improve things we report. Hell, I even put more blame on community than on devs regarding superbattleship hull spam we are witnessing now. Who can not remember times when fair chunk of community (under obvious influence of WoWs and similar shooters) insisted on 100k tonnes BBs and 20" quad turrets. Some of you begged for this and these of you are to blame for UAD moving into the waters of unrealistic shooter. The devs are to blame for bending under pressure. 

So, yes, I'm also concerned for the future of this game. I'm worried that WoW fans will ruin it. I'm worried by Game labs policy of maintaining complete radio silence.

I woul'd love to see this game finished but I'm concerned. We are kept in dark, community is fed up and everything seems to be falling apart.

I am 100% with you on this. It is why I continue to follow and post on this matter. The communication is the problems, not the works of the devs.

I totally remember when it was all for 20inch, quad and mega-ship if not photon torpedos. We were only few to voice again that. They listen at the time, they still listen today.

When I bought this game, I was totally hooked by the video, having the chance of building, my ships, my fleets and more! Top of that, in a non-ww2 area! No one focus on the iron-age period. I still have hope for a very good games, if they re-focus on the core of what they advertise: a good ship builder (with way more freedom), the iron-age area. I often voice my opinion on this, they should go on the beginning of the new navies of the 1870-1890 instead of impossible ship never build. There are so more to explore on the ships of those times and new tech coming up every month!

Anyway, We will test the new campaign very soon and hopefully post about that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/14/2021 at 7:29 AM, T_the_ferret said:

Is that... is that all? Is this a joke? 

This is what we waited a year for? A barebone campaign? Two nations, no diplomacy, no peacetime, barebone economics, non-final technology system and basically no ship movement with a limited map? 

No excuses, no info on future content, no info on the other core patches, and this update isn't even a complete one? 

How can you call this the core update with definitive content if you keep mentioning its all in early stage with most of it disabled/incomplete/not integrated?

You can't even tell us when you'll release it too? 

I'm sorry but this is basically a slap to the face. I know people will say "we got what we wanted" but no, this is nowhere near what we wanted. This isn't communication, this isn't talking, its just a statement of how they didn't even deliver the first core patch fully. 

I was so excited seeing we got the core patch news, i thought we'd get a team statement about the future and how it'll look, what will happen next and how they'll move forward. But this is just... the exact same thing, and in a month we'll have the exact same result we had ten minutes ago before this announcement was posted

I really am sorry, but you didn't learn anything from what we kept talking about on the forums. This is disappointing

holy crap pound sand bro. delete your forum account & go eat your salt somewhere else

• Like 3

On 11/14/2021 at 7:15 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello everyone,

The work for the next major update continues. We would like to offer you the changelog that mentions all the new features of the upcoming Core Patch. The campaign version of the game has been remade from scratch, replacing fully the test version which was partially working internally for some time. Despite working almost solely for the campaign, the game has been improved further with new very important features and has been polished in several aspects. You can read below everything that has been readied so far.

*==============================*
*Core Patch 1*
*==============================*

The very first version of the Campaign
The following information describes in a few words the first playable campaign. It may have a limited functionality, but it should be fully playable and enjoyable. It presents the following main aspects:

• The campaign involves only two Major Nations: *Britain* and *Germany*. You can select and play both of them in different starting years spanning from 1890 to 1940 which you unlock as you win campaigns. The different starting years do not feature different historical map conditions but only represent the respective technology era, in which you can quickly jump in. 

• There is currently no peacetime and no diplomacy & alliance mechanics. Your goal is to survive and beat your opponent in an endless brawl against the rival nation.

• The economy is working at a minimum level due to the limited nature of the first campaign version. So, for example, economic growth or other related financial factors are not yet simulated. There are, though, various decisions which you have to take regarding the shipyard development, crew training, technology funds and transport capacity, which are detrimental for financing and continuing the war.

• The technology mechanics are not finalized but they work sufficiently for the most important aspects. The technology advancements would matter more during peacetime while you prepare for war, so now they are gained in a rather fast manner, aiding more distinctively the nation which chooses to invest funds for gaining a  technological advantage.

• The Map is limited graphically and in functionality, while the ship movement mechanics are disabled. However, a mission generation system will assess various strategic aspects, data from your active ships and their sea control orders, and will automatically create battles in the various sea regions. Some battles can be avoided, for example defending a small convoy against enemy ships and this would only cost you the loss of some transports - if you choose to not risk your valuable ships. But some key battles will require you to take a mandatory action.

This first version of the campaign is provided as a stable test version for you, while we continue to develop it. We will very much appreciate your feedback and suggestions not only for the current working state of the campaign but for the future features you would like to see. Most work for this patch was allocated for the special functions of the campaign, but there are several new improvements which you can read below.

9x NEW HULLS

• The Japanese “Mogami-class Heavy Cruiser is the new detailed ship model of the game. You can find the new hull for Japan after 1930 with a displacement between 10,400 tons and 16,600 tons with the name “Heavy Cruiser III”.
  • New Japanese “Heavy Cruiser IV” especially suited for torpedo armament that is available after 1930 and has a displacement between 13,400 and 18,600 tons.
  • New Japanese “Modern Light Cruiser II” available after 1930 with a displacement between 10,200 and 13,600 tons.
  • New Japanese “Scout Cruiser”, a light cruiser which is especially stealthy and fast, available after 1930 with a displacement between 9,000 and 11,600 tons.
  • New Japanese “Heavy Scout Cruiser”, a heavy cruiser which is particularly effective in distant fighting is available after 1930 and has a displacement between 10,600 and 13,600 tons. 
  • New Japanese “Experimental Cruiser” which is essentially a small battlecruiser with a displacement between 24,000 and 27,600 tons that is exceptionally stealthy and fast. This hull is available after 1935.
  • New German “Modern Battleship I” which is a smaller variant of the Bismarck-class having a displacement between 42,500 and 54,500 tons and is available after 1927.
  • New USA “Modernized Dreadnought” based on the famous California-class that was rebuilt in the 1940s. It has a displacement spanning from 34,500 and 38,500 tons and is available after 1927.
  • New French “Experimental Battleship” a hull that is better suited for a fast battleship is available after 1929 and has a displacement between 45,500 and 67,500 tons.

*Additionally:*  Many new ship parts became available in previous hulls, following the new progression system of the campaign.

NEW FEATURES

• New AI personalities: Adopting the new campaign mechanics, the AI opponent fleets now behave differently according to the nation. Some nations are very aggressive, others are balanced, and others especially cautious. All the AI personalities are now using a more effective system to decide when, how and at which distance to attack, due to the new AI which received an overall improvement.
  • New After-Battle Statistics: Now you are able to examine detailed battle statistics for any ship that participated in a battle.
  • New Steering gear component: You are now able to choose between various different steering options which affect the ship maneuverability. 
  • More engine components enriching the available technology tree: Multiple Expansion Steam Engine II, Turbo Electric Drive, Gas Turbines are the new engine types. Due to having now the option of a Turbo Electric Drive system, the respective previous Aux systems were rebalanced and renamed.
  • New improved weight/offset mechanics: The new system allows the design of ships with cross deck guns and no side weight offset (previously it was impossible to have cross deck guns without instability problems). Another noticeable improvement is that you can find a perfect weight balance, if you use the CTRL while moving ship objects (previously this could be achieved much harder and sometimes it was impossible). 

BALANCES & GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

• Various ship weight balances, especially in armor and engine aspects, allowing to make more realistic ship designs.
  • Ship rotation mechanics adjusted so that ships have realistic turning rates at all situations. You should notice ships to turn more naturally according to their weight and length.
  • Smoke interference became more significant in earlier technology years and depended more on fuel type and engines.
  • Overpenetration mechanics adjustments cause now more frequent overpens on small or lightly armored  ships.
  • Rescaled some small guns of the Pre-Dreadnought, Dreadnought era. They now match better to their caliber size.
  • Initial deployment of ships became improved so that BB and BC types are always placed into battle lines that cannot merge with each other (previously some battle lines could be too close to each other creating inevitable ship collisions.
  • Ships no longer automatically lose speed according to formation spread. This was helping them to maintain the formation but players usually removed the ships from formation to achieve the top speed. Now the ships will still be effective overall in keeping the formation but you will have to adjust their speed if they lose cohesion.
  • Added in Battle Statistics damage details for ramming.

AI

• The AI, as mentioned already, has received a significant improvement. You will notice AI to become more aggressive when it clearly has the advantage. For example, if the AI notices that your Destroyers are out of torpedoes, then it will stop behaving defensively and will close in to destroy them. Another noticeable improvement is that it generally keeps a more effective firing distance and maneuvers more sharply and promptly, trying to adapt to player actions.
  • Optimized the Auto-Design system. Ships of the AI should be generated in much less time and be much more effective according to their technology generation.
  • Division AI logic improved in general, to be more responsive and help to maintain the formation.

BUGS & OTHER FIXES

• Fixed various minor issues of the Graphical Interface.
  • Fixed collider issues of some Russian guns, which made them overlap with other guns.
  • Fixed bug that caused the showing of wrong information of min/max armor value in ship details info.
  • Fixed issue with a few funnels not fitting in some hulls.
  • Fixed issues with the shell dispersion mechanics which could make shell shots fall at much wider range than they should at close distances. Now you will notice much more realistic shell trajectories at all ranges.
  • Various small fixes to some hulls.

GRAPHICS & OPTIONS

• The Ship Designer interface became improved by organizing the various parts into scrollable windows. Previously the excessive number of parts could overload the interface or become very small due to downscaling.
  • Battle FPS performance became improved due to the AI code optimization.
  • Fixed some issues that could cause lag in the design interface. 

Note: Due to all the new changes and improvements, your saved designs in Naval Academy will not work.

The patch is almost ready to release. We are narrowing down the last bug fixes and finishing the progression of the many new ship parts (various Towers and Funnels) which will be all available in Custom Battles and Naval Academy but will gradually unlock in campaign as new technologies are researched. Within the week we will inform you again about when we are going to release the patch.

Thank you for reading!

The Game-Labs Team

PS. Since a lot of players ask us, we are working constantly for new ship 3D models and more ships of the pre-dreadnought era. The next main models will be based on French battleships and cruisers of the 1890s and 1900s.

So much good stuff in here. Can't wait.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure the publisher's and dev's are different teams. As I understood it AoS was completely separate of UA:D.

I know Nick added a mod for AoS but I don't think he's a dev member could be wrong though. I just think all the years of free work he's given in mods, the guy delivers so I have faith, but he delivers at his pace. I'm just glad there's no legal/financial/personal issues stopping them from completing the game.