Game-Labs Forum

V.O.C. Ship Amsterdam - A call for help

Brigand

I've talked to the conservator Elisabeth Spits of the technical drawings in the library of het Scheepvaartmuseum (Maritime museum) in Amsterdam, and she told me that the only original drawing they have is the one mentioned above, the one that can be found in that thesis on page 75. I think the devs have that one in high resolution already? Maybe a dev can reply and give their input? :)

However I can, if needed head over there and visit the library on thursdays to look at all the drawings that are made for the replica that's outside the museum. Miss/Mrs. Spits told me that the replica has been made from the limited resources they have, such as that one drawing mentioned earlier, and the model with the ship camels that C.H. Bentam brought/made to show his design, that's been kept at the Rijksmuseum. The drawings of the replica involve steel constructions to keep it how and where it currently is. So not everthing there would apply to the original.

So my question to the devs is: what do you need (if anything) from het Scheepvaartmuseum?

- Any drawings from the replica, including sail plans, etc.?

- technical drawing from a 'warship' from Bentam with 42 cannons?

- technical drawing from warship "Westerdijkshorn", 52 cannons or one of 50 cannons?

- technical drawing of warships "Hector" and "Amazoon"?

- technical drawing of warship "Maarsen", 44 cannons?

Since they haven't been scanned and put on the site (yet) I will have to go over there and look at the microfilm they have been put on.

Each scan is €4,- plus once an administrative cost of €15,-

I don't think people will want the replica version in the game as they said its been heavily modified to be comfortable to the tourist walking around onboard. I hope the developers would prefer the Bentham plan on page 75, only issue is the wooden model and replica appear to be modified a bit from the original plan. No idea what the other plans will look like but I'm sure they're equally interesting. :)

Edited by OTMatt

The Amsterdam won the poll, so the majority of people on these forums (or at least the part that cared to cast their votes) was of the opinion that the Amsterdam was more interesting than either the 7 Provincieën or Prins Willem.

~Brigand

Not really sure if it was more interesting or rather simply people wanted to get a idea of what the non-warship trader vessels would be like once open world hit.   Personally I have very little desire to pilot the Amsterdam and while it did take 3rd place overall, it really had only a very poor showing compared to the number of votes the went out for warships.  If you look at it from that angle, the vast majority of the players want warships or else Amsterdam would have scored a much larger portion of the overall vote.

Still, it is what it is and honestly for open world purposes there needs to be tons of ships more dedicated to the role of trader or merchant since I strongly suspect that transporting goods will end up being almost a requirement for all players if they want to have the resources to buy the better warships.   That being the case, it is actually a good addition and probably rather timely considering we aren't too far out from beginning Open World testing.

Probably not more interesting but better suited for the time period with the game focusing on 18th Century at the moment. Both the 7 Provincieën and Prins Willem are much older ships.

Would not mind piloting the Amsterdam at all, she looks very nice and indeed with Open World testing around the corner we need some of these types of ships in the game.

Probably not more interesting but better suited for the time period with the game focusing on 18th Century at the moment. Both the 7 Provincieën and Prins Willem are much older ships.

Would not mind piloting the Amsterdam at all, she looks very nice and indeed with Open World testing around the corner we need some of these types of ships in the game.

Yeah with open world around the corner, we need some ships that are going to be more focused on Trade. Also an Indiaman would probably be the largest common ship a pirate could get a hold of so yeah it is probably a good addition.   Still I like warships.  Also I really hope the they bring in some of the late 1600s ships as I think they generally have alot more character while still looking modern enough to fit well into what we have currently.   I am taking designs from around 1670 onward.  

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Visited tha Batavia recently, unfortunately they are in rough weather as well and almost bankrupt!The 7 Provinces will NOT be finished ever and left as is!

Spoke to several people of the yard including the master shipbuilder who made the Batavia.

On topic: hope to see the Amsterdam ingame! :)

Edited by Henrik

• 2 months later...

The Amsterdam won the poll, so the majority of people on these forums (or at least the part that cared to cast their votes) was of the opinion that the Amsterdam was more interesting than either the 7 Provincieën or Prins Willem.

~Brigand

I find this hard to believe!? it's like not giving the British nation the ''Hms Victory'', or the French nation without the ''Le Soleil Royal''?

The ''Zeven provinciën'' was the famous 80 gun ship of the line for the Dutch, a ship build for dutch admirals.

However The ''Amsterdam'' was a highest class spiegelretourschip, a perfect Merchant ship for the VOC, build for trade and protecting it. But i think both ships never sailed the carribean waters.