Game-Labs Forum

Bucentaure French 80 gun class 3d WIP

Krasimir

After extensive research i felt ready to start modelling the Bucentaure class 2nd rate French ship.
Since information about this type is very scarse despite being one of the backbones of french navy in the era next to Temeraire and Ocean classes, luckyly enough after reading and googling about every Tonnant and Bucentaure class ship for information i was able to find some referencess including captured tonnant plans, bucentaure lines plans from a french book by Jean Boudriot and excellent Bucentaure class model "Friedland" in the french naval museum with photos from their site and in the books as well, and paintings of the classes from the era i started laying the lines for this magnificent ship.
So here is the first screanshot very early in progress.

RlFXikN.jpg

I will post updates as i work through it. Hope youll like it :)

• Like 10

The compass star is the floor of the captain quarters - you can see the poop deck is removable so you can look inside :)

Since we have captain's quarters modeled (to a certain degree, we might put the star in there)...that would be too awesome...

• Like 1

Indeed it looks different hull lines, boards, nose and deck plans compared to tonnants and bucentaure, stern looks similar to buc, tonnants have a bit different stern. Ill post some updates tommorow since im doing this in my spare time. Meanwhile while studing tonnants i was amazed to see how equal are the ships in one class as proportions and hull lines and how they have character and slight difference on some lines, rudder, nose. 
i made this image for comparison all are tonnants - note the bulge on the front of the keel (underwater part) which is removed in the later versions, and the different aesthetics of the lines. Bucanteure "Friedland" have one similar to "Tonnant" and "Canopus" wich of course lacks the railings - one of the distinctive Bucanteure class features.
VZRKOBs.jpg

Edit: Original "Le Bucentaure" have identical nose lines aesthetic to "Friedland" as it can be seen in the painting posted by Charles above.

Edited by Krasimir

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/17/2015 at 6:38 PM, Krasimir said:

Indeed it looks different hull lines, boards, nose and deck plans compared to tonnants and bucentaure, stern looks similar to buc, tonnants have a bit different stern. Ill post some updates tommorow since im doing this in my spare time. Meanwhile while studing tonnants i was amazed to see how equal are the ships in one class as proportions and hull lines and how they have character and slight difference on some lines, rudder, nose. 
i made this image for comparison all are tonnants - note the bulge on the front of the keel (underwater part) which is removed in the later versions, and the different aesthetics of the lines. Bucanteure "Friedland" have one similar to "Tonnant" and "Canopus" wich of course lacks the railings - one of the distinctive Bucanteure class features.
VZRKOBs.jpg

Edit: Original "Le Bucentaure" have identical nose lines aesthetic to "Friedland" as it can be seen in the painting posted by Charles above.

The head-rails shown in these plans depict Tonnant as modified to represent British notions of elegance circa 1805 and Canopus show British modifications post: 1815 as the whole bow has been rebuilt to include Sir Robert Seppings round bow. The Foudroyant's bow shown here is that of the ship from 1750 not that of 1800. Only Sans Pareil and Guillaume Tell represent French notions of elegance circa 1805