Game-Labs Forum

Smoke Interference Penalty - Backwards calculations

Drenzul

Ok just been looking into the smoke interference mechanics and they look completely backwards to me.

So currently smoke interference is based solely on the funnels, which makes no sense since funnels don't generate smoke, the engine does.

For example if I have 2 funnels on my ship (100% engine effectiveness) and I add a 3rd redundant funnel in case of damage, instead of reducing
the smoke interference as you might expect, it increases it by 50%. 

What I'd suggest is this. Remove the smoke interference stat from funnels. Instead directly calculate it from the engine hp * a multiplier from techs
(same multiplier used for funnel capacity required).

Then once engine efficiency reaches 100%, any spare capacity from funnels instead go to reducing smoke interference, modified by a funnel modifier which
could either be specific to each funnel (taller funnels been better for this) or just a number across all funnels.

So your calculations would look like this (Numbers pulled from between arse cheeks :) )

250,000 (engine hp) * 0.01 (tech modifier) = 250 smoke interference
250,000 (engine hp) * 0.01 (tech modifier) = 250 funnel capacity required
(base for these would always be equal as its basically the amount of smoke been generated)

So you had 2 funnels with 150 capacity each and you get:
250 - 300 = 0 (50 remainder)
250 - (50 remainder * 0.5 (Funnel Modifier)) = 225 smoke interference

So now if my towers weren't enough to compensate for that, instead of the only option been to remove funnels and slow the ship down to compensate, I can add
more funnels (taking valuable centreline space + tonnage) 

So with a 3rd funnel all with 150 capacity:
250 - 450 = 0 (200 remainder)
250 - (200 remainder * 0.5 (Funnel Modifier)) = 150 smoke interference

Means we can actually build larger faster ships which aren't surrounded in such a cloud of their own smoke that they can actually hit stuff ;)
Also makes the more smokey, non-diesel engines still an option after diesel comes in since this will be a major limiting factor in attempting to
build any multi-funnel ships.

• Like 5

I agree. If a ship has insufficient funnel capacity, one would think it would make the smoke denser. As the engine still produces the same amount, just the funnel can't evacuate it as quickly. So more funnels over capacity would make the smoke thinner, and reduce interference.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, madham82 said:

I agree. If a ship has insufficient funnel capacity, one would think it would make the smoke denser. As the engine still produces the same amount, just the funnel can't evacuate it as quickly. So more funnels over capacity would make the smoke thinner, and reduce interference.  

I assume that you'd get back pressure from the funnel which would cause the engine to lose efficiency, so was going on the assumption at 100% 
efficiency was at the point the smoke was at maximum thickness for the engines working at 100%, as below that you'd still be producing less smoke anyway
as the engine is restricted by air-flow. 

So it makes sense that any extra capacity after that is mainly for thinning the smoke. 
Can't see this would be a big change to implement either.

• Like 3