Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 0.5 Feedback Hotfix v90<<<

Nick Thomadis

ok the armour issue for turrets needs to be fixed as due to how busted you can game it I made a french battleship with 8 20" guns all on the front and basically put the entire weight of the turrets into fore armour and reduced the rest to zero as when you load into a battle turret armour gets reset, 1400 out of 6000 rounds hit one ship FOUR penetrated thats it aso this turret armour bug does kinda lend itself to broken builds

However when it is fixed please can I request we also get the ability to set the armour thickness on the turret face as I dont need 26" of armour on the sides and rear but would like 26" on the front of my 18" turret to copy Yamato and the like.

7 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

As I know Dunnite was replaced after World War I. Please provide sources of being available in the late years.

Right from the horse's mouth of official US ordnance documents:

https://bulletpicker.com/pdf/OP 1664, US Explosive Ordnance, Volume 1.pdf#page=37

image.thumb.png.63c977890bab11dff1b56b66bfe415d1.png

Usage continues for all naval shells down the line.  5"/54, 6"/47, 8"/55, both standard and superheavy shells for that, etc.

According to Navweaps.com it was used in an upgraded, higher-density packing with superior sealing methods in later iterations.

Explosive D - USN burster made from "Dunnite" which is Ammonium Picrate, a salt formed from picric acid. Named after its inventor, Lt. Col. B. W. Dunn (1860 - 1936) US Army. Adopted by the US Navy in 1911, this explosive is very insensitive to shock, giving it a high margin of safety. Initially, the USN used a mixture of Explosive D in the forward part of the projectile with black powder in the back of the projectile. In 1917, the burster for projectiles between 5 and 8 inches (12.7 and 20.3 cm) was changed to a mix of TNT and black powder while larger projectiles were filled completely with Explosive D. Problems with deflagration on impact with these large-caliber projectiles led to a change to higher density packing in 1923 and this was so successful that most projectiles were then made with Explosive D bursters until well after World War II. Picric acid-based explosives, including Explosive D, are corrosive to many metals and can form dangerously sensitive compounds which can cause a bore premature. For this reason, the interior walls of the projectiles were coated with varnish as a preventative measure. For the same reason, cardboard disks and tubes were used to prevent direct contact between the fuzes and the Explosive D bursters. However, Explosive D gives off fumes which are corrosive to the aluminum and zinc parts in the fuzes. This corrosion essentially prevented the small fuze parts from moving freely during the arming process, causing a number of duds in combat. In addition, moisture, especially in high humidity climates like the South Pacific, would penetrate into the fuzes and also cause corrosion problems. The problems were recognized and corrected during World War II. Special gaskets were placed in the joints of the fuzes and a silica gel bag was placed into one of the fuze cavities to absorb any moisture that made it past the gaskets. Finally, the fuzes were coated with a bakelite varnish over a lacquer base, making them airtight.

• Like 3

Yo am I the the only one who still can't make Yamato? The five inch guns still don't fit on the superstructure and quite frankly I'm getting annoyed with that. I can't even make A-150 class with it's four inch guns. Only two and three inch guns can fit on all the slots of the superstructure.

• Like 1

Can you go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts and delete all saves and settings?

Did that, did not work.
Still having the same problem as "Baatsman". However, my ships do nothing at all, even if placed near the enemy. No firing, no nothing. No interface, just a fleet floating in a grey nothhing.

I have to say I am a bit dissapointed.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:39 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Ah, you meant while switching designs, not loading a saved battle. Ok we will look to fix.

EDIT:
The hulls seem to save everything while switching. Maybe it can be a rare issue or a misedit by your side? We will wait for more feedback about this.

Hi Nick, first off what an amazing job you people have done with this update! Like seriously wow, beyond my wildest expectations!!

Second, I can confirm that this issue is prevalent across various hulls. I have so far seen it replicated on all British BB hulls from modern I and upwards across 1930 and forwards, in some cases while loading saves, in other cases simply from hitting "launch" and finding your BB now has default turret values instead of the ones you specified, even in isolated instances where only a single ship was used (to minimize complexity for the game).

Also noted these two weird & wonderful bugs:
Screenshot-1.jpg

after reloading a battle, both ships had reverted to the name of the class of ship. Not a big issue at all, but worth pointing out.
Screenshot-9.jpg

second (and more rare) sometimes the main turret and secondary turret armour values will glitch up and overlap. Also not a big issue, since highlighting one of these values will make the overlapped values revert to their normal positions, but still worth mentioning.

EDIT: I've also made bug reports in game now, in case that is more expedient.

Edited by Draco
improved grammar, additional info added.
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

The gun armor cannot be maximized to very large values. The max. armor. is depended on caliber. So if you put a very large armor setting, it is going to get the max. possible in the setting.

I have the same thing. no matter what I type in it changes itslef to max value. I have to click manualy

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 4:15 PM, Darth Khyron said:

Unplayable as of now on my system. Before this patch, almost everything was fine (save for some 'too many threads' crashes).

Now, however, loading takes very long, ending in "loading level"...and nothing else. (Mouse)Clicking crashes the game, showing the ships (including below-waterline parts), but no water, no interface, no nothing....really disapointed.

same here

Crew and Shell editing is a really nice addition, loving the fact that I can hire people who can actually shoot worth a damn

Encountered three kinda annoying bugs though.

The first is that If I'm using centimeters as my unit, type in values for turret armor seems to assume I'm typing in inches, and converts it to centimeters. eg if I type in 10 for side armor, it converts it into 25cm armor instead of setting it as 10cm armor. This seems to only affect turret and casemate armor.

The second is that turret armor changes back to the default value (23cm side and 6cm top) every time I leave and re-enter a mission (such as when changing bonus from "Guns & Fire Control" to "More Funds")

The third and most annoying is that even if I change the turret armor, it doesn't actually change the armor value. When I was playing "Armed convoy attack" and picked "Survivability and Maneuverability", I noticed that my turret armor (which is supposed to be 33cm side and 2.5cm top) had changed back to the default value of 23cm side and 6cm top. This isn't just a display error, it's not shown here, but I also noticed that my turrets were being overpenetrated by 15cm cannons at ~3km

image.thumb.png.7e989fdc5cbaa4ed9420a6f7862dd626.png

Could we also have the option of the more classic british secondary towers like on the modern battleship and super battlecruiser on the new super battleship? More of a QOL thing as with the top tower it is damn near impossible without a very weird layout to get more than one funnel and makes the builds feel very much speed restricted.

3 hours ago, Darth Khyron said:

Did that, did not work.
Still having the same problem as "Baatsman". However, my ships do nothing at all, even if placed near the enemy. No firing, no nothing. No interface, just a fleet floating in a grey nothhing.

I have to say I am a bit dissapointed.

Access between game modules are hampered,as I tracked a lot of endless mutex handles gettin no response.

After 5hours++  I got the bugger to fly proper!  I tried a TON of crap, but try this first Darth,

as Im not totally sure which of my attempts finally hit the spot.

-- Make a path to gamedir in System Properties / Environment Variables / System Variables
Open C:\Windows\System32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe or
-- Press Windowsbutton+R --
-- CopyPaste or type SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe in the window, press ok or enter
-- Select 3rd pane or advanced, then Environment Variables (located at the bottom)
-- In the next window (Enviroment Variables), click on the text PATH (make sure it is highlighted) - then press EDIT
-- in the following window (Edit Enviroment Variable) press NEW
   then copy-paste or add %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts
-- now close System Properties and restart the computer

• Thanks 1

Is the balanced rudder intended to be cheaper than the rudders that actually make your ship worse? (Semi-Balanced, Unbalanced)

Logically thinking here, I'd assume the rudder that improves your manoeuvrability would cost more. 

Also, while I'm here, option to choose whether you want Twin Rudders or Single Rudders and whatever else in future, Pwease 😛

Edited by Commander-Alexander-Reed

Access between game modules are hampered,as I tracked a lot of endless mutex handles gettin no response.

After 5hours++  I got the bugger to fly proper!  I tried a TON of crap, but try this first Darth,

as Im not totally sure which of my attempts finally hit the spot.

-- Make a path to gamedir in System Properties / Environment Variables / System Variables
-- CopyPaste or type SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe in the window, press ok or enter
-- Select 3rd pane or advanced, then Environment Variables (located at the bottom)
-- In the next window (Enviroment Variables), click on the text PATH (make sure it is highlighted) - then press EDIT
   then copy-paste or add %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

Thank you very much, that did not work, unfortunately. Still floating ships in the endless grey 😕

1 hour ago, Skeksis said:

PS: Turret armor is not holding either. This may have been reported already. 

Yeah I have mentioned it a few times currrently you can build ships with no turret armour and as in battle whatever you set it, to it will reset to defaults and it can also happen in ship designer too I think there is some issue with the designs not saving turret armour as its the only way I can see them getting lost all the time.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, baatsman said:

baatsman, I don't understand what any of that means, but I'll give it a go and report back!

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Darth Khyron said:

Thank you very much, that did not work, unfortunately. Still floating ships in the endless grey 😕

Administrator Permission elevation did not allow build.exe access to it's own native locale, or it's hampered by the two dirs of UAD

Add the USER with maximum elevated permissions in Advanced Security Settings to BOTH dirs of UAD
(the USER is either the login email or local handle, and can be found in the permissive principal list)

@ 1. %installdir% ("C:\Games\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\default\game" in my case)
@ 2. %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

-- Right click the folder icon,
-- go the bottom of the context menu Press Properties,
-- select Security or 3rd pane on the top
-- Press Advanced, in the Advanced Security Setting window press Add
-- Press Select A Principal, then Advanced, then the Find Now button on the right
-- In the Permissive Principal List, the USER is either the login email or login local handle
-- Select User,press OK, then on the Right in Permission Window, pick Show Advanced Permissions
-- Select Full Control, as it will pick everything
-- Press OK in all following windows to apply

1 hour ago, ChryssyH117 said:

Yeah I have mentioned it a few times currrently you can build ships with no turret armour and as in battle whatever you set it, to it will reset to defaults and it can also happen in ship designer too I think there is some issue with the designs not saving turret armour as its the only way I can see them getting lost all the time.

Yeah we need to post bug reports in game specifying which hulls have this issue.

Makes debuging way easier for the devs.

2 minutes ago, Draco said:

Yeah we need to post bug reports in game specifying which hulls have this issue.

Makes debuging way easier for the devs.

Agreed but so far this bug affects every ship ive tested, seriously go out and build a battleship and reduce the armour of the guns to 0 in game they will be reset to default and they also wont be affected by armour quality modifiers.

1 minute ago, ChryssyH117 said:

will say though I hope that the hotfix includes a change to armour weight as it feels a little bit TOO heavy maybe a 1-5% reduction in weight would be ideal as armouring a superstructure reasonably is incredibly difficult plus then adding armour to hull, decks and turrets.

Yeah agreed, all my BBs are literal all-or-nothing ships now, meaning no fore/aft armour and no superstructure armour at all.

But I guess that is kind of realistic in some sense as well...

52 minutes ago, Draco said:

Yeah agreed, all my BBs are literal all-or-nothing ships now, meaning no fore/aft armour and no superstructure armour at all.

But I guess that is kind of realistic in some sense as well...

true but also kinda sucks if you wanna make an armour heavy ship as it is incredibly hard to balance an actual armour scheme outside of all or nothing as you have to sacrifice basically everything to do it and even then sometimes its not enough

12 minutes ago, ChryssyH117 said:

true but also kinda sucks if you wanna make an armour heavy ship as it is incredibly hard to balance an actual armour scheme outside of all or nothing as you have to sacrifice basically everything to do it and even then sometimes its not enough

Yeah, but I mean it depends on the era in question. In the thirties and beyond most BB armour schemes were not designed to survive fire from their own guns much below 17km even on pure all-or-nothing designs. Meanwhile back in WWI the main belts were mostly supposed to keep ships immune down to around 12km or so, while extended armour mostly existed only to shield against secondaries of 6" calibre or less.

So you can see how a lot of players simply do not adhere to the tactics of the day.

Armour historically really wasn't supposed to ever make a ship "unsinkeable", but rather to keep it afloat long enough to sink the opponent at a Range preferable to itself and (hopefully) unpreferable to the opponent.

All that being said however, I absolutely agree that armour weight (and component weights in general) should be decreased, and even considerably more than what you suggest, owing to the fact that recreating basically any WWI or later historical ship within it's IRL displacement limits is currently impossible.

The trouble with that is that the AI will currently just start building meme ships if the values get lowered again, so until the devs find a way to teach the AI that a lot of smaller and "good enough" ships are strategically preferable to a few "superships" we will be stuck with artificially inflated values.

However, I have high hopes that the campaign will ameliorate this issue a lot, because once the campaign drops, it will suddenly be a lot more about how much a ship costs than how much it weighs.