Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 0.5 Feedback Hotfix v90<<<

Nick Thomadis

4 hours ago, AdmiralObvious said:

image.thumb.png.2f30745c24adcecc5963e874aa68e9a0.pngI have to agree with this assessment. Ship detonates it's midship ammunition locker and only loses 32 crewmen out of over 1000. Doesn't seem right to me.

I only dabbled in it last night, but I think that indicator only refers to extraneous dead rather than people who died upon the hit. Plus you didn't even click all three (High, Medium, Low priority) notifications so some may have gotten loss. Check the enemy hull when you finish the ID - if a more or less satisfactory percentage of the crew is not present, it's working.

10 hours ago, vyprestrike said:

Is there a way to revert back to previous game versions? The one thing that I was excited for this update was being able to build a fleet around my favorite ship, but since 18 inch guns aren't available on the French Exp. hulls anymore there's not much of a point.

And since when is having every gun on every ship (including "experimental" ones) considered some kind of human right? 🙂

6 hours ago, Drenzul said:

1> Crew: Needs reserves implemented. 
1 minor hit at the start of a battle hit my torp crew down to 50% on a ship. It stayed at 50% the rest of the battle. Simply put on a warship, you can run the ship at 100% with less than 50% of the crew. Reserves should both do damage control and be assigned to replace casualties rather than a single hit vastly reducing the reload of a ship's main weapon system.
This needs some sort of control so you can assign crews as needed, so you might take crew off reloading secondaries to help damage control. You should be able to lose a fair few guys before you really start noticing the impact.

I'll actually says that seems fair. Warships have reserve, but they don't have so much fat that you can be at "100%" after losing your first string. They might scrape up some replacements from the cooks or clerks for your torpedo crew, but you can forget about them being as swift as the originals, so you should really feel it.

Edited by arkhangelsk

I think there's a graphics memory leak in the editor. Game gets increasingly stuttery & unresponsive over the course of a few minutes until I alt-tab out & back & it's fine again for a while. Full screen Win 10; never had problems running it on max graphics before.

Loving the new crew mechanics. Also the charge/propellents. Also the rudders. Also all the new hulls & models. Can't overstate my love for the new armor (any interest in splitting out turret fronts vs turret sides???). Feels almost like a new game. Amazing work; thanks for taking the time to flesh out the realism even more. It's what I love about it & the challenge that keeps drawing me back.

I think the only major realism mechanics absent now are vertical weight stability concerns (deck mounted vs casemates; excess superstructure armor; etc) and the fact that twin turrets should be much physically smaller than quads & triples. In generally, turret widths need to be looked at--it's a major & strange design constraint to be missing.

Other than that (IMO), it's just numbers to balance! Brilliant!

EDIT: Suggestion: a crew bar (maybe in grey) below the structure and flooding health bars?

Edited by neph
  • Like 2

I’ve been enjoying the update and have a couple of thoughts:

First that crew experience is very powerful and is primarily balanced by cost - that means in a custom battle there’s not much reason not to use a veteran crew but there certainly will be in the naval academy (which I’ll now have to play through again 😫 ) 

Second is that we now have two UI designs in game - the Alpha 12 ‘blue/grey’ and the CP ‘brown’. Maybe it’s just me but I find having both jarring. To be frank the ‘brown’ UI is not an improvement - it looks much less professional and polished - the old UI design was much better! And whilst I’m on UI please consider moving the ‘design player ships’ buttons in the designer to the left of the launch button so that you can add ‘design enemy ships’ on the right (same sides as in the custom battle setup) 😉

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, neph said:

I think there's a graphics memory leak in the editor. Game gets increasingly stuttery & unresponsive over the course of a few minutes until I alt-tab out & back & it's fine again for a while. Full screen Win 10; never had problems running it on max graphics before.

Loving the new crew mechanics. Also the charge/propellents. Also the rudders. Also all the new hulls & models. Can't overstate my love for the new armor (any interest in splitting out turret fronts vs turret sides???). Feels almost like a new game. Amazing work; thanks for taking the time to flesh out the realism even more. It's what I love about it & the challenge that keeps drawing me back.

I think the only major realism mechanics absent now are vertical weight stability concerns (deck mounted vs casemates; excess superstructure armor; etc) and the fact that twin turrets should be much physically smaller than quads & triples. In generally, turret widths need to be looked at--it's a major & strange design constraint to be missing.

EDIT: Suggestion: a crew bar (maybe in grey) below the structure and flooding health bars?

I was wondering when someone would mention this too be fair. I've noticed as you build the ship its gets increasingly buggy and laggy until a certain point then goes back to being smooth.

2 hours ago, arkhangelsk said:

I only dabbled in it last night, but I think that indicator only refers to extraneous dead rather than people who died upon the hit. Plus you didn't even click all three (High, Medium, Low priority) notifications so some may have gotten loss. Check the enemy hull when you finish the ID - if a more or less satisfactory percentage of the crew is not present, it's working.

And since when is having every gun on every ship (including "experimental" ones) considered some kind of human right? 🙂

I'll actually says that seems fair. Warships have reserve, but they don't have so much fat that you can be at "100%" after losing your first string. They might scrape up some replacements from the cooks or clerks for your torpedo crew, but you can forget about them being as swift as the originals, so you should really feel it.

Depends how complex they want to make it but it would depend on which crew members were lost.

Losing your gunners e.t.c. who are heavily trained would have much more of an impact than losing people doing more generic jobs such as damage control, loaders e.t.c. which is not as highly skilled with a far lower impact having to replace them with less highly trained replacements. 

Certainly if a load of loaders die, I should be able to replace from them the reserves at little penalty.

14 hours ago, Iuvenalis said:

I noticed the same. Also the "Large funnel" for the monitor-type is broken. It has less capacity than the standard.

Thanks for noting. This was an "ancient" issue and it will be fixed.

12 hours ago, Werwaz said:

is there any way to access the ship save files

since I was thinking about creating a thread for ship files

Saves are stored in "AppData" folder of Windows e.g. C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

12 hours ago, LoSboccacc said:

crew damage should scale better with penetration, this destroyer, all on fire after a "flash fire x5", has more of 40% crew being perfectly fine, with 87% of the people manning the main guns being a-ok

immagine.thumb.png.f5771831defb613e08c494e3861ae8c0.png

in general it feels like damage control operations should drain more crew, especially in the earlier years; fires and flooding aren't that dangerous right now, I think I only ever saw crew disappear after direct damage, but they should be lost both as fire&flood spread and as damage parties venture in the hazardous area to fix them.

Crew losses are supposed to simulate realistic conditions. Despite players wanting crew to die by the hundreds, in history ships were not having extreme losses, unless they were sunk or detonated. You can read about the casualties of Derfflinger and Seydlitz in the Battle of Jutland for the matter.

We try to properly simulate the conditions of crew casualties caused by direct hits, fire and flooding and do not want to go to extreme levels of unrealistic damage just for the shake of playing a game.

11 hours ago, Skeksis said:

We didn't get this...

Or did we? There doesn't seem to be any changes regarding German cruiser hulls 1900-1910. 

Custom Battles. If you design a ship in 1906, I designed HMS Dreadnought first, then go back and change the year to 1907, all ships outside that year are not listed. This is obviously how it supposed to work.

But why can't we have earlier ships listed?

My feedback on this is, could we have all pervious years included. But if you select 1940, you could end up with 50 ships, so we would need a 'beginning year' filter. But listing all pervious ships (from the selected year) would do for now, filters can come later.

But all n all saving and all designable is so much nicer. 

The original concept was to include in the list all saves for all years, but make available only those of the current playing year. But this made the interface polluted and clunky.

11 hours ago, vyprestrike said:

The patch notes say "New Special Italian Guns for 3-inch up to 8-inch caliber ranging from Mark 3 to Mark 5."

Ingame, while trying to build an Italian heavy cruiser with 1940 tech, the special Italian guns only go up to 6'', 7'' and 8'' guns use the "default" turret style.

Default Screenshot 2021.09.14 - 19.21.54.14.png

Guns are different according to ship type. These 8-inch guns remain available for the cruisers.

10 hours ago, Fishyfish said:

So, now we have apx 68 dreadnought, super, modern and experimental battleship hulls, and only 16 pre-dreadnought hulls. 

@Nick Thomadisdo you ever plan on fleshing out the pre-dreadnought fleet with an equal amount of hulls? Any other pre-dreadnought hulls planned? Or are you content with the content you've got?

Yes, I have stated multiple times, that we are going to enrich pre-dreadnought era with more ship models. We just made the end game fulfilled with a satisfactory number of different warships per nation.

9 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

Dunnite should not get obsoleted given its obvious advantages, especially with regards to penetration.  It was after all in continued USN usage all throughout WW2.  Either that or add a Dunnite II with increased shell costs and reduced fire and detonation hazards to represent the upgrades the USN did to their shells during WW2 for safety.

As I know Dunnite was replaced after World War I. Please provide sources of being available in the late years.

9 hours ago, Syriax said:

Upon loading in, it seems to have reset my naval academy progress. Is this to be expected because of a new core patch?

This was an inevitable side effect of the new file system, necessary for the functionality of the saves and the whole upgrade of the game engine.

9 hours ago, AdmiralObvious said:

Is it intended for Antitorp V to Increase acceleration of a ship?

On the topic of crews, it does make the game feel more alive. Will need to do some more testing. It does make the ships feel more varied, but I also feel that there should be a way to have the crew prioritize certain tasks, which might get locked out if the conning tower goes down? I don't know, but it feels like that once you start losing the "control" section of the crew, things go downhill fast, while the secondary crews are still happily blasting away while their ship sinks beneath them.

Overpenetration is still very common against TP boats, but I was using 4 inch HE, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks for noticing the AntiTorp V issue. It is going to be fixed. Overpens against TB can be still common if you fire with caliber of 4-inch and higher and at a close distance. But you should notice normal pens against destroyers much more often.

6 hours ago, Hangar18 said:

Hey I'm experiencing a few bugs

* i am unable to exit ship builder. I believe the cause is using the unlocked desinger, saving the design, and then going into a locked designer, and loading that ship. In particular i did this for the USN low caliber x4 mounts. I was forced to kill the game.

We need to check this and fix.

5 hours ago, Armchair_Admiral said:

Hello,

Most graphical settings and presets are not preserved when you click the Apply button.

Restarting the game resets them to an undefined default configuration.

The placement of the new settings window is unfortunate. It almost completely obscures the ship and port where the user should be able to test the effect.

As a consequence of the settings problem, my new visuals are worse than before. The old ugly buttons made more sense to me.

We will check if there is an issue and fix.

3 hours ago, neph said:

Yes, there is a performance decrease in the ship designer under investigation. We will fix.

3 hours ago, brothermunro said:

I’ve been enjoying the update and have a couple of thoughts:

First that crew experience is very powerful and is primarily balanced by cost - that means in a custom battle there’s not much reason not to use a veteran crew but there certainly will be in the naval academy (which I’ll now have to play through again 😫 ) 

Second is that we now have two UI designs in game - the Alpha 12 ‘blue/grey’ and the CP ‘brown’. Maybe it’s just me but I find having both jarring. To be frank the ‘brown’ UI is not an improvement - it looks much less professional and polished - the old UI design was much better! And whilst I’m on UI please consider moving the ‘design player ships’ buttons in the designer to the left of the launch button so that you can add ‘design enemy ships’ on the right (same sides as in the custom battle setup) 😉

Hello Brother Munro :)

Ui is under construction. It is going to become optimized in later patches.

Crew training was left as a factor of custom battles, because people would like to enjoy trying different settings for their crew. Indeed, they can maximize crew now without any cost effect, but custom battles are going to become improved with more features later, so that crew training matters and is costed properly. Until then, players can just freely enjoy experimenting with their designs without restrictions.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

As I know Dunnite was replaced after World War I. Please provide sources of being available in the late years.

https://bulletpicker.com/pdf/USNBD - US Bombs and Fuzes, Pyrotechnics.pdf#page=48

This document is from 1945 and it talks about Dunnite/Explosive D as "standard main charge for armor piercing bombs and projectiles (...) over 3"   :

image.thumb.png.799fd2b2b4187445ff47731443cb12f0.png

• Like 1

Hey, Nick. I still am not able to Play at all. After designing the ships, I Launch. 

The program builds ships, as always. Then nothing happens. 

Wegen I click on the screen, I can see the ships, but no water, no interface, no nothing. 

Last version at least worked (aside from the occassional 'too many threads' Error).

13 minutes ago, Dirlinger said:

https://bulletpicker.com/pdf/USNBD - US Bombs and Fuzes, Pyrotechnics.pdf#page=48

This document is from 1945 and it talks about Dunnite/Explosive D as "standard main charge for armor piercing bombs and projectiles (...) over 3"   :

image.thumb.png.799fd2b2b4187445ff47731443cb12f0.png

We need to find a document referring to naval shells. Bombs and Torpedoes used different explosives. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LoSboccacc said:

flash fire x5 tho, for a ship with 5 turret, I fully expect main gun crew: 0% or thereabouts

https://content.invisioncic.com/r237714/monthly_2021_09/immagine.png.563e399daa3d1ae0e3682e2f3fedf2e5.png

When the ship eventually sinks, you will get what you desire. From an explosion many crew members die, then there is fire, there is flooding. You need to wait some seconds and not expect 100 people dead in one sec.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darth Khyron said:

Hey, Nick. I still am not able to Play at all. After designing the ships, I Launch. 

The program builds ships, as always. Then nothing happens. 

Wegen I click on the screen, I can see the ships, but no water, no interface, no nothing. 

Last version at least worked (aside from the occassional 'too many threads' Error).

Can you go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts and delete all saves and settings?

ive noticed this too it makes armour heavy designs useless and kinda allows players to put on huge guns with no armour on their ships then load in with default values (kinda funny to do this with 4x2 15" guns on the new small dreadnought hull on the lowest setting)

Edited by ChryssyH117

I had a bug last night where the enemy AI straight up didnt spawn half their ships
Italians vs French 1936 30000m
3BB           4BB (Didnt Spawn)
4BC           1BC (Didnt Spawn)
6CA           8 CA
10CL         10 CL (4 Didnt Spawn)

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

We need to find a document referring to naval shells. Bombs and Torpedoes used different explosives. 

It says armor piecing bombs and projectiles and all other projectiles over 3". That definitely implies shells. 

Also found this note checking on the US 16" Mk7:

1a. The nose color indicates burster type, with yellow denoting Explosive D. A narrow colored band below the nose indicates the splash color.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.php#ammonote1

Maybe unity engine got covid from the core 0.5 update. But other Unity based titles run fine atm

Yes repaired first, then clean looted the sys and gamefile dirs,registry even turned my AV suite off, just to be sure

--Entering any battle, hangs on the load screen,saying loading level for at least 40min (when my patience ran out)

and I DID deliberatley press the 'infamous' mouse button.

--Instead of the os telling me 'app timed out' I got this.

This is the 'updated' grapics presented, and the UI is totally missing. I used to run 3840x2160, but steepdived into the abyss of lowering res and every graph setting, trying to get this going, but with no luck so far.

Even I won,with 'blind' usage of key combos, the battle never ended after ditching the target. After trying all possible and probable keys and combos to end the 1st academy mission, I had to alt+f4.

Missing the interface is the real culprit, the rest of it is really just eyecandy nostalgia (1994-1997 graphics without voodo card ?)

uad.png

Won.png

Edited by baatsman
  • Thanks 1

I've been getting slammed by the AI in 'modern battleship' -- saved a file, tried to load it. 

It took less time to shut the game down and restart the mission completely than the time spent waiting for the ships to warm up. 

Also damage info says stuff like 'bow belt bow' rather than just saying 'bow belt'

Edited by admiralsnackbar
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, baatsman said:

Maybe unity engine got covid from the core 0.5 update. But other Unity based titles run fine atm

Yes repaired first, then clean looted the sys and gamefile dirs,registry even turned my AV suite off, just to be sure

--Entering any battle, hangs on the load screen,saying loading level for at least 40min (when my patience ran out)

and I DID deliberatley press the 'infamous' mouse button.

--Instead of the os telling me 'app timed out' I got this.

This is the 'updated' grapics presented, and the UI is totally missing. I used to run 3840x2160, but steepdived into the abyss of lowering res and every graph setting, trying to get this going, but with no luck so far.

Even I won,with 'blind' usage of key combos, the battle never ended after ditching the target. After trying all possible and probable keys and combos to end the 1st academy mission, I had to alt+f4.

Missing the interface is yhe real culprit, the rest of it is really just eyecandy nostalgia (1994-1997 graphics without voodo card ?)

uad.png

Won.png

I never got this although i have to admit that the game takes longer to build ships and load up, at least in custom battles anyways.