Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming Patch Announcement

Nick Thomadis

I don't post here much and I'm fairly easy going but when dev's can't meet their own deadlines it makes me wonder about how the dev team is led. We get a somewhat detailed decription of what's in the update, with the last line saying that it's schedule for this week. Now, it's next week because it's still in testing. Why make a point to highlight that the update was supposed to drop this week if you weren't 100% sure. That's customer service 101... you don't promise a customer something that you aren't completely sure that you can deliver.  And the dev's wonder why people are trash talking this game and how it's being handled... Like those of us that have devoted money to this game, I'll wait for the update to hit next week, play it, and hope that everything works as intended. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

For the love of christ this. 
90% of hulls don't have enough room in the 'citadel' for decent weaponry, so you need retarded 12+ inch thick forward/rear belts which no warship in history could afford to have.

lol what?

I rarely use more than 8" and it's always worked out fine, with Krupp IV at least.  I'm genuinely not sure what you're doing wrong.  The only thing that ever detonates my ships are torpedoes, which is nothing but my own damn fault because I'll often deliberately skimp on torpedo protection and put the saved tonnage towards guns and armour.

Are you using the Lyddite propellants, or skipping barbette protection?  You shouldn't ever need that much armour on the extended belt.

also:

Tuesday, 09:30:  Patch will drop sometime this week guys, we promise!

Friday, 13:30:  Psyche, we lied. Patch is actually dropping next Monday.

Monday, 09:30:  Patch will drop sometime this week guys, we promise...

a) I guess I'll just go spend my weekend playing someone else's game instead; and

b) I fkin' called it.

Edited by Masonator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Masonator said:

also:

Tuesday, 09:30:  Patch will drop sometime this week guys, we promise!

Friday, 13:30:  Psyche, we lied. Patch is actually dropping next Monday.

Monday, 09:30:  Patch will drop sometime this week guys, we promise...

a) I guess I'll just go spend my weekend playing someone else's game instead; and

b) I fkin' called it.

Seems like a lose-lose if they don't communicate people get mad and when they do communicate people get mad.... 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Joryl said:

Seems like a lose-lose if they don't communicate people get mad and when they do communicate people get mad.... 

Yeah, damn if you do damned if you don't!

We have always seen 'fixes patch' after a release, at least one. I think the programming crews are on standby after releases, for at least a week, they're there for critical fixes. Usually they'll drop a major release mid-week so the programmers can rush into action but never before the weekend. Fixed patches drop late week, sometimes Fridays, but they are the fixes and usually don't need to be re-fixed. 

If Nick has given his team the weekend off, good on him, no use crying about it.

13 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Rather it's released properly than a bug fest.

Same.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Joryl said:

Nobody's mad that they're finally communicating.  That's objectively a good thing.  Personally, I'm mad at myself more than anything, because I let myself get hyped up like an idiot.  I've been frantically refreshing this board all week.  When patch day finally rolled around, I spent the entire day at work positively itching to come home and play my favourite game's new patch.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's literally been on my mind all week, only to see it postponed at the absolute last minute.  Once again they're over-promising and under-delivering.  It's nothing out of the ordinary - in fact, it's business as usual for this game, and I'm just tired of sitting around waiting for this barely-functional product with an $80 pricetag to mature.

They couldn't meet their own damn deadline.  They control the platform - they could've set the release date for literally any time, but instead they arbitrarily picked a date, gave themselves less time than they needed to finalise the update, and had to push it back.  I mean, for god's sake, the last patch was in May; it's now September.  Games have gone through their whole lifespan, from whiteboard idea to full release, in less time than that.  They spent the entire summer under complete radio silence, they haven't released one single thing that they promised for 2021, and they just delayed the first and thusfar only major patch, again.  And now they've got three-and-a-bit months left in the year to finish Core Patches 2, 3, and 4.

Yeah, good luck with that.

54 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Rather it's released properly than a bug fest.

If you think three calendar days (only one of which is a working day, I might add) will be enough to see a patch this big "released properly", then I genuinely have no words.  This patch will be a bugfest regardless of release date, mark my words - especially with all the new mechanics and features they're adding.  That's just the nature of software development in general.

I don't think the devs have even realised just how much lightning they've managed to bottle with this game, and I'm sick and goddamn tired of seeing all that potential squandered time and again.  I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

To any G-L staff reading:  For the love of god, please hire a community manager. The Valve approach doesn't work for studios that don't also happen to run the largest gaming platform in the world.

Edited by Masonator
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

YES! I suggested this a little while ago. We need a community manager!

It's nice that they've finally said something, and that the patch is almost here, but what about next time? This is going to keep happening, and the community are going to get pissed off yet again.

I love this game, but if the devs keep this up I might just forget about it all together. 
I can only protest for so long.

Edited by Commander-Alexander-Reed
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Masonator said:

Nobody's mad that they're finally communicating.  That's objectively a good thing.  Personally, I'm mad at myself more than anything, because I let myself get hyped up like an idiot.  I've been frantically refreshing this board all week.  When patch day finally rolled around, I spent the entire day at work positively itching to come home and play my favourite game's new patch.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's literally been on my mind all week, only to see it postponed at the absolute last minute.  Once again they're over-promising and under-delivering.  It's nothing out of the ordinary - in fact, it's business as usual for this game, and I'm just tired of sitting around waiting for this barely-functional product with an $80 pricetag to mature.

They couldn't meet their own damn deadline.  They control the platform - they could've set the release date for literally any time, but instead they arbitrarily picked a date, gave themselves less time than they needed to finalise the update, and had to push it back.  I mean, for god's sake, the last patch was in May; it's now September.  Games have gone through their whole lifespan, from whiteboard idea to full release, in less time than that.  They spent the entire summer under complete radio silence, they haven't released one single thing that they promised for 2021, and they just delayed the first and thusfar only major patch, again.  And now they've got three-and-a-bit months left in the year to finish Core Patches 2, 3, and 4.

Yeah, good luck with that.

If you think three calendar days (only one of which is a working day, I might add) will be enough to see a patch this big "released properly", then I genuinely have no words.  This patch will be a bugfest regardless of release date, mark my words - especially with all the new mechanics and features they're adding.  That's just the nature of software development in general.

I don't think the devs have even realised just how much lightning they've managed to bottle with this game, and I'm sick and goddamn tired of seeing all that potential squandered time and again.  I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

To any G-L staff reading:  For the love of god, please hire a community manager. The Valve approach doesn't work for studios that don't also happen to run the largest gaming platform in the world.

Yeah, I was too hyped as well and waited for the patch to come today or tomorrow. Will probably instead play WT Naval this weekend, shame that our clan [AL300] is disbanded...

4 hours ago, Masonator said:

lol what?

I rarely use more than 8" and it's always worked out fine, with Krupp IV at least.  I'm genuinely not sure what you're doing wrong.  The only thing that ever detonates my ships are torpedoes, which is nothing but my own damn fault because I'll often deliberately skimp on torpedo protection and put the saved tonnage towards guns and armour.

Are you using the Lyddite propellants, or skipping barbette protection?  You shouldn't ever need that much armour on the extended belt.

You are missing the point. The main belt should be long enaugh to cover the main armament always. And now it only protects 2 out of 4 turrets if you use the smallest superstructure, and nothing at all of u use larger one. The main belt wasn't there just to protect the engine, it was there to protect everything crucial. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fishyfish said:

Sorry brother I'm not playing this patch. My SDD died and I'm in no rush to replace it. This game just doesn't do it for me. I'm pretty convinced that its target audience is weird WoWS warship weebs who want to build their ship girlfriends. (No offense weird ship weebs. I've got no room to talk, have you seen the fish affliction) Given that these devs focus entirely on late war ships I can't help but be reminded of tier VIII, IX, X warships from WoWS. Maybe I'm crazy. I came for the older warships, the ironclads, armored cruisers, protected cruiser and pre-dreadnoughts. If there aren't any or that gets ignored what is there for me? I don't have a ship girlfriend. I don't play WoWS (I admit I watch a lot though) and I don't like the direction the games gone over the past two years. So now what?

Well, there's this: I've been following these guys and playing their games since UG:G and they haven't missed yet. Every single game has been fun, highly replayable, and yet not quite what I expected. I fully expect them to deliver on this one as well, and when they say 1890-1940s, I expect them to eventually deliver on that too.

Yeah, this one's been rocky, but even so it's still not even the equivalent of a Steam Early Access title so there's quite a bit of time for them to add early hulls and components. I mean, we could've gotten the Killerfish treatment with WotS, although that obviously had more to do with money than intent.

I fully expect this game to be far more than it seems to be now.

30 minutes ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

You are missing the point. The main belt should be long enaugh to cover the main armament always. And now it only protects 2 out of 4 turrets if you use the smallest superstructure, and nothing at all of u use larger one. The main belt wasn't there just to protect the engine, it was there to protect everything crucial. 

One of my most desired ship design features is to be able to define the horizontal and vertical limits of the main belt.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The patch is in closed testing procedure.

If all is good, we will release on Monday.

Everyone, have a great weekend!

We were demanding more communication and precision. This is exactly that! Thanks very much for keeping us inform. This is exactly the kind of communication we need! To know what is going !

Again thanks very much!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

One of my most desired ship design features is to be able to define the horizontal and vertical limits of the main belt.

Yeah same. In the current system it seems we are using a belt armor layout designed for a CL in a BB with the main turrets exposed. If the player can't design because the game mechanics atleast would be nice to cover the 5 columns in the middle for the BBs, BCs, CAs and use the current belt layout in game only for CLs. Would make much more sense imo.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, killjoy1941 said:

Well, there's this: I've been following these guys and playing their games since UG:G and they haven't missed yet. Every single game has been fun, highly replayable, and yet not quite what I expected. I fully expect them to deliver on this one as well, and when they say 1890-1940s, I expect them to eventually deliver on that too.

Yeah, this one's been rocky, but even so it's still not even the equivalent of a Steam Early Access title so there's quite a bit of time for them to add early hulls and components. I mean, we could've gotten the Killerfish treatment with WotS, although that obviously had more to do with money than intent.

I fully expect this game to be far more than it seems to be now.

I hope you're right. I really do. All I can do however is base my dispare and regret off my own experiences. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Speglord said:

If by drinking you mean playing a WG game, then yes

Bad for your mood, addictive and with dubious individuals banking on that to gain money. Pretty much like alcohol and cigarettes.

But it doesn't work on me. I can stop any day, any time.

Like when patch hit. No pressure devs.

Hey, everyone, the devs are finally starting to communicate, if we can't be encouraging about that fact then no wonder that we only get the bare minimum of info.

Let us please be encouraging when we see a positive change in behaviour, even if the news is not exactly what all of us hoped for.

Otherwise we just encourage them to leave us guessing again.

The least we can do is react like grownups, otherwise no wonder we get treated like children.

Edited by Draco
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AdmER said:

We were demanding more communication and precision. This is exactly that! Thanks very much for keeping us inform. This is exactly the kind of communication we need! To know what is going !

Again thanks very much!

I strongly disagree.

Now just to be upfront I have been defending the devs delays and such multiple times mostly on the steam forum.

I have worked IT and software dev all my adult life. The delays are understandable especially with covid. That being said the communication is some of the worst I have ever seen. Long term goals being missed is understandable. There are weeks or months between them and things can happen, these things can get compounded by other things which causes other problems that snowball.

That being said when you give a timeline for the same week, there are very few reasons not to hit that timeline. If one of the very few reasons is met then that needs to be communicated along with the reason AND the new timeline.

I will use this announcement as an example of a potential proper form of communication:

"The patch is in closed testing procedure.  During this process we found a game breaking bug with the new armor mechanics that cause the game to crash making everything unplayable. We have found the underlying problems and fixed them. We are continuing to test and ensure that the game will function.

If all is good, we will release on Monday.

Everyone, have a great weekend!"

This essentially lets people know that the initial estimate was made in good faith, that the problem encountered was in the final step (testing/QA) and what it was as well as that it wasn't just overlooked, whether or not the issue found has already been resolved and is back to the final step, and what the new timeline is.

They should realistically also have a community manager to gather some of this info on a weekly or every other week basis. Roadmaps even without timelines, this is just me potentially, would also help map out things they need/want to implement and the general order for implementation on the grand scale. Also if they plan anything after 1.0 or as DLC it would be a great help to keep people focused on the long term as well.

• Like 7