Game-Labs Forum

Able to buy muskets with bayonets before researching Bayonet. [Update] I'm wrong, the bayonets I've got are captured.

Paul_KT

I am able to buy muskets with bayonets even though I haven't researched the bayonet upgrade.

Not sure if this is a bug or what the upgrade does has changed but the text hasn't been updated.
image.png.5355655363b56e770a1277f84f9f1ac6.png

image.thumb.png.3638d7916126d0e0692e46a45a6e5bc1.png

I am not sure, however I will give you my point of view. A rifle that already comes with a bayonet or sword you may have access to it which allows you to buy it however, when you pay to research a bayonet or sword it will then give you versions of a lot of rifles that now will have a bayonet or sword. I guess only a DEV could inform you of whether it's a bug or not?

Edited by doublebuck
spelling

1 hour ago, doublebuck said:

I am not sure, however I will give you my point of view. A rifle that already comes with a bayonet or sword you may have access to it which allows you to buy it however, when you pay to research a bayonet or sword it will then give you versions of a lot of rifles that now will have a bayonet or sword. I guess only a DEV could inform you of whether it's a bug or not?

The bayonet is an intermediate level research item. Before researching the bayonet (the spike bayonet to be specific) you will still have access to early weapons such as the Sea Service '38 musket with bayonet. By researching Basic tier items such as French Weapons Supply I and British Weapons Supply I, when you get to the intermediate level, you can then research French Weapons Supply II and British Weapons Supply II which will (when combined with the Bayonet research) give you advanced weapons with bayonets.

So, no it is not a bug. You do have access to early model muskets with bayonets at the start of the campaign. But if you want better (intermediate) weapons with bayonets, you have to research the muskets you want to put them on first.

• Like 2

Is it possible that muskets with bayonets are available though capture, but not in the shop before you research the tech?  I'll have to look into it more, but it's very confusing.  The cannon tech upgrades are obvious, you unlock the tech, the new guns types appear.

Well, from what I think about your question? One way or for any reason it seems to me the DEV does allow you to use any rifle you captured or received as a reward within the certain campaign as you go along in it so as long as you have enough of those rifles you can give them to any unit however, as you noted or observed if you capture mortars or artillery, all you can do with them is to hold on to them until you unlock their tech or of course you could always sell them to the shop to make some money. I can tell you a little secret during the backer build early version of this game a long time ago we was able to capture enemy artillery and it would become a unit in our fleet as that artillery unit before unlocking the tech. Rightly so, the DEV didn't intend that to happen so they fixed that quick and that is one reason why we can't make them until we unlock their required tech but as for all rifles we get if you have enough of them free you can use them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, doublebuck said:

Well, from what I think about your question? One way or for any reason it seems to me the DEV does allow you to use any rifle you captured or received as a reward...

Yep, came here to say the same thing.  I noticed when I unlocked the 1778 Brown Bess Sea Service.  Suddenly it's available in the shop, where as before it was just what I'd captured.  I my confusion came from the British campaign where I had captured enough 38 Sea Service with Sword Bayonets to equip a lot of my crews, never realising that it wasn't available in the shop.

Thanks for confirming @doublebuck you are a star!

• Like 1