Game-Labs Forum

Sandbox build mode

Cdodders

I wonder if a sandbox build mode is on the cards? Where you can select any hull, any superstructure, any turret mark and design, anything and everything available. So for instance you could have a British Hull, German superstructure and MB gun turrets, US SB turrets and Japanese Torpedo Turrets, in 1940 that is coal fired Steam Turbines

16 hours ago, Cdodders said:

I wonder if a sandbox build mode is on the cards? Where you can select any hull, any superstructure, any turret mark and design, anything and everything available. So for instance you could have a British Hull, German superstructure and MB gun turrets, US SB turrets and Japanese Torpedo Turrets, in 1940 that is coal fired Steam Turbines

It already exists. You can find French hulls in Japanese navy, Japanese hulls in American navy, American hulls in Japanese navy, Japanese hulls in French navy, almost all hulls are mixed in all nations. American superstructure in French navy, and so on I don't think I need to go on. Everything is mixed. And if you want to mix it even more you can select all ship types and have a battleship stuff on a cruiser and vice versa. The amount oh hull reuse across all nations is discouraging. I hope the developer(s) has better ideas and imagination than so far. The very concept of the game (as displayed on official animation on steam) does not exist and it is very worrying that the devs don't want to either make the feature and content or remove misleading and fake representation.

Edited by Elrerune

1 hour ago, Elrerune said:

The very concept of the game (as displayed on official animation on steam) does not exist and it is very worrying that the devs don't want to either make the feature and content or remove misleading and fake representation.

The last time there was a serious discussion on this the devs simply chose to ignore everything and close the thread. As that was not the first time they have done it, i am just going to assume the worst and this game would not be something i am still interested in (to put it lightly).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coalminer said:

The last time there was a serious discussion on this the devs simply chose to ignore everything and close the thread. As that was not the first time they have done it, i am just going to assume the worst and this game would not be something i am still interested in (to put it lightly).

To tell you the truth, I was interested in it because I like to recreate my favourite ships. So for example if there was an ability to modify the hull in such a way, I could easily make realistic continuations. Also I too am losing interest in the campaign because it seems to me it's going to be something like business management instead of "build a fleet and sink the enemy fleet and take over the world kinda stuff".

Edited by Elrerune
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Elrerune The Honorbound said:

To tell you the truth, I was interested in it because I like to recreate my favourite ships. So for example if there was an ability to modify the hull in such a way, I could easily make realistic continuations. Also I too am losing interest in the campaign because it seems to me it's going to be something like business management instead of "build a fleet and sink the enemy fleet and take over the world kinda stuff".

Yea... thats the general sense in most of the feedback threads which has unfortunately been ignored or has received no acknowledgement from the devs. A campaign at this stage with the in game mechanics would probably be the same as custom battles because the AI will churn out speedboats while most of the core concepts do not work well(e.g gunnery, armour, etc.).

Would it be naval game? yes, but would it be realistic (as advertised)? probably not.

The use of language such as "New model that can recreate the German “Deutschland-class” cruisers such as the “Graf Spee”. In-game it can be used with the name “Advanced Armored Cruiser Ι” after year 1921, as a hull between 14,900 and 18,900 tons with special hull resistance characteristics making it especially durable even against battleships." is quite troubling when the original Deutschland class were barely armoured to resist heavy gunfire. The decision to stick with numerical multipliers instead of proper armouring scheme is probably my main beef with the development so far, a 400m ULCC is no more resistant to gunfire than a 10m boat. Armour isnt simply decided by displacement or size of ship, its by internals and how the vessel is designed and armour incorporated.

10 hours ago, coalminer said:

Yea... thats the general sense in most of the feedback threads which has unfortunately been ignored or has received no acknowledgement from the devs. A campaign at this stage with the in game mechanics would probably be the same as custom battles because the AI will churn out speedboats while most of the core concepts do not work well(e.g gunnery, armour, etc.).

Would it be naval game? yes, but would it be realistic (as advertised)? probably not.

The use of language such as "New model that can recreate the German “Deutschland-class” cruisers such as the “Graf Spee”. In-game it can be used with the name “Advanced Armored Cruiser Ι” after year 1921, as a hull between 14,900 and 18,900 tons with special hull resistance characteristics making it especially durable even against battleships." is quite troubling when the original Deutschland class were barely armoured to resist heavy gunfire. The decision to stick with numerical multipliers instead of proper armouring scheme is probably my main beef with the development so far, a 400m ULCC is no more resistant to gunfire than a 10m boat. Armour isnt simply decided by displacement or size of ship, its by internals and how the vessel is designed and armour incorporated.

Another worrying thing is no hardware optimization for popular graphics cards. How will the devs compensate for when they burn peoples graphics cards? Especially in this time when cards like the gtx 970 are 500 dollars, second hand.

Edited by Elrerune The Honorbound

Getting back to the original topic of a "Sandbox Mode"...yes, it would be fun to build quite literally anything you want regardless of tech level or faction, I doubt it will ever appear and if it does, it will likely be well after the campaign is introduced and has all it's features smoothed out. Because as the devs have now said, multiple times in multiple threads and discussions, the main campaign is their main focus for a while. They've even said that these updates, like the most recent one that added the new hulls and superstructure options, are more just to keep some content flowing and keep the game (somewhat) interesting until the main campaign is released, at which point they can start collecting feedback for that and improving that gamemode. But for the foreseeable future, the only two gamemodes we'll have is Custom Battles and Naval Academy

custom battle with unlocked mode is probably as close to sandbox for now but it still restricts gun technology and superstructure to the underlying hull type. although i suppose one big issue with mixing parts is further clipping and turrets not fitting to the integrated barbettes and thus restricting builds.