Game-Labs Forum

What is the status of the Design Saving feature, and how will it work

Stormnet

@Nick Thomadis Im writting this after the several delays of core-patch, and that "Peak at the campaign" post, I decided to post this to get some info before I request something.

When I asked how the campaign is going 1 month and 2/3 weeks ago, you said you'd show some stuff about it as soon as possible, okay.

But then came another delay. To be honest, I'm not in for the campaign, I'm ALL IN for the design save feature. Its that feature that would add vast replayability bonuses to any content released as players would be much more enticed to tweak their ships and try out new stuff if they didnt have to rebuild it constantly.

Therefore, I'm writing this to ask what is the overall status of the feature.

It is nearly complete, just a few bugs to patch? Are there technical issues? Is it halfway throught? Is it just a concept right now (doubtfull, but nevertheless...)? 

And how is it gonna work? Steam workshop? Files? Links? Special Server?

That is really all I wanted to know for now. 

EDIT: I'm asking this as I would like to know, since the campaign suffers from constant delays, and by chance the next patch was not Core, if you could nontheless give us the design saving feature. The game to me has ran out of content. New hulls dont matter if I have to rebuild my favourite ship every single time. 

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 5

I talked a little about this a long time ago. (God I feel old) I think simplest way to save designs is how it is in the Naval Academy. Of course somethings are going to have to be tweaked and added. One suggestion I made is that if you make your ship using 1940s tech and you load a game the 1920s you can't use that ship because the tech is not available. So simple terms you can only use your saved ship only when all the tech on it is available. I have a better description somewhere on the forums but I'm too lazy to look for it. As for Steam workshop? Please for the love of God let us create our own hulls and stuff. I know some people who would have a field day with that. (Barney I'm looking at you.)

• Like 3

my thoughts would be something along the lines of a design file that could be created in-game and you could import other ships by downloading other design files from the forum or someplace else and plopping it in a folder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, werwaz said:

my thoughts would be something along the lines of a design file that could be created in-game and you could import other ships by downloading other design files from the forum or someplace else and plopping it in a folder.

Oh, that would be amazing. Im also part of a ship building discord of UAD and that wouls ease the sharing process a lot.

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skeksis said:

Sorry but I disagree here, IMO the best way is by general files, using windows file dialogs etc.

Any index based system or in-game list like what's given to us in Academy Missions is restrictive and these type's of systems should be discourage at all cost.  

File dialogs or files listed by directory searches gives us the maximum user friendly choices, nothing else.

That's a great idea. Much better than mine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, Stormnet said:

And how is it gonna work? Steam workshop? Links? Special Server?

Heaven forbid. If I save my Ship design I want it as a file in windows just like a savegame file like in every game I ever played.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, Skeksis said:

Sorry but I disagree here, IMO the best way is by general files, using windows file dialogs etc.

File dialogs or files listed by directory searches gives us the maximum user friendly choices, nothing else.

I doubt that's ever going to happen honestly.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, Skeksis said:

Any index based system or in-game list like what's given to us in Academy Missions is restrictive and these type's of systems should be discourage at all cost.  

If that does happen let's hope that the developers will have the sense to at lease make the designs as files located in any common savegames folder in windows.

Games these days are not made to be user friendly and force players to forcefully customize managment of savegame files... if you want to make a backup or you want to actually find your save files of the game you paid for.

One of the main issues is that people think UA:D is in a "barebone" state. But when the status of the entire game will be announced as close to completion, we will have a little or no more than now in terms of Ships, features, quality, and most importantly content. It ends up with people getting brainwasthed into having most minimal expectations for something that should instead be demanded as an absolute necessity.

Edited by Elrerune