Game-Labs Forum

Forcing the AI to not go full Fisher

Tankaxe

We've all seen it by now but for some reason the AI just keeps prioritizing speed over everything else. Things like a 26kt BB in 1911-14 is pretty eyebrow raising especially when you find that 9" of armor is the only thing protecting it. Makes sense for battlecruisers but something keeps forcing the AI that their battleships must go this fast as well.

My solution is simple is that any design will have a speed limit per year so the AI doesn't waste so much weight on speed. The pre-dread era doesn't have any issues so they will be skipped.

Early Dread era (1906-1909) will be hard capped at 21kts

Dreadnought era (1911-1918) will be hard capped at 24kts but preferred speed at 21kts

inter war era (1920-1925) hard cap at 26.5kts but a preferred speed at 23kts

late era (1930-1940) hard cap at 30 knots but HEAVILY preferred speed of 27kts

29 minutes ago, Tankaxe said:

We've all seen it by now but for some reason the AI just keeps prioritizing speed over everything else. Things like a 26kt BB in 1911-14 is pretty eyebrow raising especially when you find that 9" of armor is the only thing protecting it. Makes sense for battlecruisers but something keeps forcing the AI that their battleships must go this fast as well.

My solution is simple is that any design will have a speed limit per year so the AI doesn't waste so much weight on speed. The pre-dread era doesn't have any issues so they will be skipped.

Early Dread era (1906-1909) will be hard capped at 21kts

Dreadnought era (1911-1918) will be hard capped at 24kts but preferred speed at 21kts

inter war era (1920-1925) hard cap at 26.5kts but a preferred speed at 23kts

late era (1930-1940) hard cap at 30 knots but HEAVILY preferred speed of 27kts

While I do like the idea, the devs apararently dont like the idea of players doing more than the AI can. I dont mind if its only the AI that gets capped, but I'm not gonna like if its the players that are also capped.

Edited by Stormnet

9 hours ago, Stormnet said:

While I do like the idea, the devs apararently dont like the idea of players doing more than the AI can. I dont mind if its only the AI that gets capped, but I'm not gonna like if its the players that are also capped.

Their is literally nothing the AI can do against a properly player built 21kt ship. It sacrifices too much armor just to go fast. Besides campaign is gonna look really awkward if all other nations are sailing at ridiculous speeds for the eras.

18 hours ago, Tankaxe said:

Their is literally nothing the AI can do against a properly player built 21kt ship.

It can (and does) run away. So many custom battles aborted because the improperly built AI refuses to fight.

Edited by brucesim2003
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, brucesim2003 said:

It can (and does) run away. So many custom battles aborted because the improperly built AI refuses to fight.

Yep and now imagine the frustration in campaign when the flighty AI runs from every fight because of how speed they stacked on their ships.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, Tankaxe said:

Yep and now imagine the frustration in campaign when the flighty AI runs from every fight because of how speed they stacked on their ships.

I've had a few videos I put up end this way.  Its frustrating to know you'll endless be out of visual range and no one is shooting.

Its at the point where I now purposefully make sure my ships will be faster, or I set the range in the beginning to be low.  This way he can't run.  Either I'll be sunk or he will be.  Its not perfect, but for recording videos, they want to see the battle, not some endless chase.

• Like 1