Game-Labs Forum

Game-Labs got bought

Stormnet

15 minutes ago, Warbie said:

It was a general bickering on my part, not directed specificly to anyone but general "ad hominem" discussions on the post. But i might have also messed up with all those quotations and I'm sorry if i mixed you up with someone else. I find it too egoistic. After all we all are because of our free-time hobby (a very niche one at that considering naval sims). And we help/share the development of our niche hobby. I just find some of the post content very irrelevant and uninformative when it comes to people nit-picking other forum users' arguments and start a very childish discussion. Forums are here to debate after all.

*I should have done a better joke than 'do not feed the murray eel'. I just wanted to continue the fish-based memery in a light hearted manner*

You're a good fishy. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As someone that works in this industry (game dev) I can attest that it's often a mixed bag with regards to who or what (IG) has acquired your current employer. At the end of the day Stillfront will be calling the shots, adjusting operational structures, and developing new strategies as they see fit.

The Stillfront business model is typical of these IG's though. And by that I mean its grotesque. From their (QuEC) website.

triangle.thumb.jpg.7c47fe897b840d862bdad415ba030b5c.jpg

Can't get over them spelling hobby wrong...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DetCord said:

As someone that works in this industry (game dev) I can attest that it's often a mixed bag with regards to who or what (IG) has acquired your current employer. At the end of the day Stillfront will be calling the shots, adjusting operational structures, and developing new strategies as they see fit.

The Stillfront business model is typical of these IG's though. And by that I mean its grotesque. From their (QuEC) website.

triangle.thumb.jpg.7c47fe897b840d862bdad415ba030b5c.jpg

Can't get over them spelling hobby wrong...

They actually publicly show this?!

Oh, so, dont give two damns to the user, make games free-to-play freemium crapfests to atract casual players (kiddies and vulnerable people), turn them into paying whales, and then convince them to stay to keep milking the wallet carriers costumers.

I was already worried about this purchase, but I thought SF could be given the benefit of the doubt...
Now I know I need to seriously worry.
Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 2

Stillfront is not making games. They're just investing money into video game developpers and in a sense influence their release strategy to probably (most likely) match the global strategy of the group.

You then can't say that "they don't give two damn about the user" because players are not their target. They target developpers and investor. Users are the responsability of the game developpers and if they fail at it, I don't think their new boss will be very pleased.

In a sense, there is no shame to show to people caring about money that the group is indeed caring about money with an efficient strategy. It's simple marketing.

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 1:31 PM, Tousansons said:

Stillfront is not making games. They're just investing money into video game developpers and in a sense influence their release strategy to probably (most likely) match the global strategy of the group.

I never said they were making games. They're an IG that seeks to monetize as much of any given platform as possible, typically to it's detriment and irregardless of the impact upon the end-product. They're not interested in games or making them. They're not interested in the process or the art form. Their sole concern is profit, period.

You then can't say that "they don't give two damn about the user" because players are not their target. They target developpers and investor. Users are the responsability of the game developpers and if they fail at it, I don't think their new boss will be very pleased.

They don't care. You're commenting on an investment group and process you are obviously completely and utterly ignorant of, yet continue to comment anyway, moronically so. Take a look at their acquisitions of indie studios and titles over the past five years, the developers of those titles, and what they demanded of them following said acquisition. There are slews of videos on YT and in the premiere pub for our industry (GIbiz) concerning this horror show that is Stillfront.

As an example, Stillfront has bought up a lot of studios over the years up to and including BG. Initially, BG was producing a title to rival that of PzG/PzC with a strategic decision making process akin to the Total War series but with battles fought in the realm of the Close Combat titles. BG missed a single deadline by 4 hours and they fired most of the original staff/developers, shuttered the studio, acquired the code and engine, and injected it into a new mobile MMO title helmed by one of their flags. And this isn't the first time they've done such a thing...

In fact, most the the studios under their umbrella exist in name only now.

In a sense, there is no shame to show to people caring about money that the group is indeed caring about money with an efficient strategy. It's simple marketing.

There is nothing wrong with making money. That's what we're here for. Produce and develop a product people will want to engage in/with, make it so it excels, make it so it engages, make it so we/I can deliver something truly enjoyable and entertaining that keeps that person coming back.

The issue remains that Stillfront will sacrifice all of these above aforementioned elements for the sole sake of monetization.   

EDIT: Case in point.

Edited by DetCord

3 hours ago, DetCord said:

You're commenting on an investment group and process you are obviously completely and utterly ignorant of, yet continue to comment anyway, moronically so.

What? You just can't read, but that's all right I'm used to it and it honestly could very well be my frenglish.

I write about "they care about money, not games/players" and you're all on "oh but look, they care about money, not games/players, you obviously don't know what you are talking about."

Why thank you. I'm humbled. I didn't knew.

Edited by Tousansons

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Anthropoid said:

So is this pretty much where this story ended or, what?

No, they changed the game from sandbox to railroad over the course of a year and slowly smothered any chance at excellence this game had under a tidal wave of half finished features. Then the story ended