Game-Labs Forum

Game-Labs got bought

Stormnet

As long as they don't go pay to play, the extra resources or funding brought in by a larger company giving some support could be good overall for them, at least if things don't turn into a Build-your-own Wows or something. Although the complete silence on the topic is a bit disconcerting this could prove to be an overall good thing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Worry_Rock said:

As long as they don't go pay to play, the extra resources or funding brought in by a larger company giving some support could be good overall for them, at least if things don't turn into a Build-your-own Wows or something. Although the complete silence on the topic is a bit disconcerting this could prove to be an overall good thing.

Let's wait and see tomorrow. I kind of expect a reply from Game-labs considering the latest developments. Cannot imagine they won't say a thing, but who knows, maybe they are not at liberty to talk anymore about these kind of things.

Stillfront will hold a meeting on the 11th of May, so I guess they will also mention something regarding Game-labs during the meeting/presentation.

I've been thinking and I'm really concerned about Stillfronts portfolio and the vocal amount of players who like to do meme builds. The only reason the builds are possible is because the designer is a work on progress and I can totally Stillfront bludgeoning the game in that direction.

13 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

You mean killer patch 27, a day that will live in infamy, decimated the pvp solo player base.  

I think Stillfront can be the solution for my problem with NA. Around 2018 i was hoping to get NA the batlles edition and it was cancelled. (i forgot the name) Instead i bought the regular version we all know. And that was my error. I love the age of sail fighting mechanics, the visual they did but that open world with those unbalance game mechanics  ruined the experience.

But a f2p version of sea battles NA? Devs if you are listening make it happen!!

"As a part of the Stillfront Group, the studio will continue expanding and improving its portfolio of premium games, but also expand into GaaS (games as a service) and free-to-play,"

well, my friends, we are about to witness the death of a studio. Practically every EA-style gaming conglomerate just buys up a studio, milks it dry, then discards it when they have driven its IPs into the ground. This is why UA:D is probably the last new game (post-2014) I will ever purchase.

Edited by werwaz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, werwaz said:

"As a part of the Stillfront Group, the studio will continue expanding and improving its portfolio of premium games, but also expand into GaaS (games as a service) and free-to-play,"

well, my friends, we are about to witness the death of a studio. Practically every EA-style gaming conglomerate just buys up a studio, milks it dry, then discards it when they have driven its IPs into the ground. This is why UA:D is probably the last new game (post-2014) I will ever purchase.

So many unique franchises of a games ruined or discarted. They sell well the first time. Then they are bought. The sequel reveals some changes to be a more "sandardized" game, but still fun and unique. The games following those are just shameless cash grabs, and once they inevitably fail, company shut, franchise forgotten.

I've seen enought [Prototype]s and Dead Spaces to not like that process.

One of the reasons I've supported Game-Lab since Ultimate General series was that it was an Indie studio. ++Which goes all the way back to the Darth-Mod in E:TW. Let's hope this is not going to turn into a mobile pay to play dreadnought game. On the other hand, i have a feeling that Stillfront's main interes would be Game-Labs' online content, Naval Action...  which suits more to their operations. Let's all hope UA:Dreadnoughts remains an independent project for singleplayer use.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 3:25 PM, Stormnet said:

Nick (a pseudonym for Maxim Zasov, the CEO of GL acording to SF, or is Maxim a diferent guy?wont have a say on how the company will run. 

Nick Thomadis is the lead game designer. Maksim Zasov is his boss. Thomadis may have special privileges within the company, though.

Game Labs is based in Kyiv, Ukraine. Total of 24 employees. Believe Thomadis works out of Athens. There are 2-4 other developers for Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts, probably in Greece or eastern Europe.

Stillfront is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, and owns a broad number of internationally placed semi-independent video game studios. Most are focused on a F2P model.

This deal was probably attractive to Game Labs because it provides a large amount of capital, an experienced marketing network, and substantial cash / stock payments to principal shareholders. Management and developer teams appear also to have been preserved.

Stillfront likely wishes to diversify its holdings, and a move to purchase a growing, less mobile-oriented company with grand strategy themes is their line of attack.

The two companies apparently have similar internal organization, with internationally placed small teams working on disparate projects.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, o Barão said:

debate ideas

12 hours ago, o Barão said:

I don't give a damn about what you think.

Hmm Hmm ?

You sure seem really open about different opinions. I'm glad I have chosen the picture approach and if you don't like it that's perfectly fine, I'll do it again.

f2p model is dragging creativity down the drain since it's first introduction. Everything is now tied to short term profit and "easy to get into". It's bad for us players.

43 minutes ago, Tousansons said:

Hmm Hmm ?

You sure seem really open about different opinions. I'm glad I have chosen the picture approach and if you don't like it that's perfectly fine, I'll do it again.

f2p model is dragging creativity down the drain since it's first introduction. Everything is now tied to short term profit and "easy to get into". It's bad for us players.

Oh really? Can i post a image with the middle finger in your face? Is only fair with you. In the end you are only getting what you deserve.

"f2p model is dragging creativity down the drain since it's first introduction. Everything is now tied to short term profit and "easy to get into". It's bad for us players."

Now you want to debate ideas? What a suprise. You know that i already did explained why the NAL in a f2p model on discord is a great idea imo. You didn't want to debate there but now you want here? Ok son let´s go:

Just for the records i am talking about NAL. A game that was cancelled 3 years go. You understand that right? The game doens't exist.

Very well. The problem is very simple. You like it or not, i don't care anyway. We as players that like naval combat in the age of sail we are a niche market. We are few in a world dominate by kids that want to play fortnite or ww2 shooters, whatever.

So what is the big problem? Simple. All arena multiplayer games need what? Players and a lot of them to make the game alive and to keep the waiting times to a minimum. Is the only way to a game in this genre to survive the moment the hype is dead in a few months. A f2p model solves this issue and will be also a great opportunity for many to try for free how much fun can it be the age of sail on a NA arena. So simple to understand this concept it boggles my mind how there are persons that oppose to this simple idea. We are not talking about a popular game genre like ww2 shooters. In that genre yes we don't need f2p games. Hell Let Loose or Post Scriptum are great examples.

""f2p model is dragging creativity down the drain since it's first introduction"

Play Enlisted for a few hours. The new f2p ww2 shooter from Gaijin. And pay attention to the briliant idea they had with squad mechanics. Amazing right? Creativity from a developer team in f2p game. How is this possible? So your argument is BS.

But to make things more ironic, you don't like f2p games. We all know that now but you don't have problems in seeing NA ruined by OP expensive premium ships. Oh the irony...

About that image. How about instead we place your sister or your mother behind a bush having a close encounter with BIG FOOT? With a national geograhic title in the bottom. "Is not science, is Absolutely disgusting". Have a nice day son.

Edited by o Barão

38 minutes ago, o Barão said:

A f2p model solves this issue

Yes. Short term profit, like I said. You try it, you shelve it. The ones who stay are increasingly motivated to spend money because servers are not free and population ultimately dwindle. Being in a niche market or not is probably irrelevant. A dev need to adapt his game to his audience and game longevity is another factor.

53 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Play Enlisted for a few hours.

A f2p multiplayer game with AI companions. Never heard of that before. So fresh and new.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

What is the suprise? The guy behaves like an idiot, no problem i will treat him like an idiot. If he wants to behave like a grow up man and debate ideas i will treat him with respect. He could simply asked why instead he prefer to attack me.

Hey man! Respect other forum members opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Tousansons said:

Yes. Short term profit, like I said.

Short term profit? You must have an word with Gaijin and Wargaming.  I have no idea how they are still in the market. Must be a miracle. Praise the lord!

55 minutes ago, Marshall99 said:

Hey man! Respect other forum members opinion. 

To say only "Absolutely disgusting" is an opinion to you? Ok so following your line of thought.

I found your comment to be "Absolutely disgusting".

2 minutes ago, o Barão said:

And you are another one coming from the land of the morons? Because you are being a complete idiot defending your buddy in this situation. Or in another words you are " Absolutely disgusting" person. An opinion as you said.

Okey. This behaviour is not accepted on this forum. If you continue doing this disrespectful manner, you will be reported. 

I was about to comment, but ill leave it. Wasn't expecting this to blow up so quickly. I guess Alpha 12 and this might be the things to talk about oh and the potential campaign mechanics (both future and current).

• Like 1