Game-Labs Forum

Alpha-12 en route!

On 5/6/2021 at 8:12 PM, Tousansons said:

We all know that the first battleship of Imperial Japan is and will always be Kiyoshimo ;) 

I don't mind the neutral designation. While a bit gamey, they're here just to give a hint about what the hull/part is, even for that guy who doesn't know what the hell is a Fuso or Borodino.

Because if it is named "fuso hull" some less creative people will automatically gravitate towards creating a fuso. Those same less creative people will then bash the game design because there is only 1 or 2 buids they can do on a hull. 

Redgarding the development:

Daum I rambled

TLDR: talk to me more! 

Progress can be slow I don't care, if EA, a multibilion company, can release a garbage product and make money on it then a small indie studio who's employees have probably never even seen a bilion dollars combined can have one or two year delay. 

Communication is on the whole another(lower) level tho, I would use stronger woridng but lets keep it civil. I am not demanding a patch sized post every day, it would be ridiculous to ask that. But there is a game beeing developed by frozenbyte studios named "starbase" and its head community/ceo/the one who knows aka Lauri, has a rule that no matter how much progress has been made he will post the screen shots of that progress every week. Now starbase is a very complicated game to make, way more complicated that UAD will ever be. And still he posts and informs and guides the community. All we have is a heap of information, thrown at us in a fashion worse than a heap of meat may be thrown at a dog, because a dog at least knows what to do with the meat. We have no context, is this patch smaller because you work on campaign or you went to hawai for 2 weeks to "look for inspiration". Send us screen shots, an unedited video of how a hull design proces works walk around the studio and ask people who they are and what they are working on. Groom the community. Because this whole project is like the dreadnought we are making, right now it, much like the real ones has 3 major characteristics. Speed(development) protection(the community) and firepower(communication) 

We all know, as fellow naval passionates, that increasing the speed is not efficient past a certian point. There is nothing we can do, if a feature is not working it cannot be released. 

Even the strongest plate can only hold on for so long before it crumbles. 

It is the firepower that wins the battle at the end of the day, and right now, our guns are silent. We need stable notifications, lets say every 2 weeks.

Just release some screen shots and future plans and a rough percentage of the core x patch beeing done.

Right now we enter the forum and we are dissapointed that the only activity is major koenig posting a photo of a fish. Or me asking where the next patch will drop. And if someone checks the forum every week this disappointment grows each time. With a 2 week system we would all tune in for a slide show of 5-10 screen shots and a word from our trully and we would be satisfied with what we see. People don't need much to be happy, but not much is more than nothing and noone will ever be happy with nothing. 

Edited by DerRichtigeArzt
  • Like 5

"Because if it is named "fuso hull" some less creative people will automatically gravitate towards creating a fuso. Those same less creative people will then bash the game design because there is only 1 or 2 buids they can do on a hull."

1521512426145.gif.a91ac687066646fb4f6764c533b015ff.gif

I don't know how you got to that conclusion with my post. But let's agree to disagree here.

Edited by Tousansons
quoted relevant text

On 5/8/2021 at 3:00 PM, ThatZenoGuy said:

We're gamers, we're here to game. You don't sell something that you know will piss people off, so why did they choose to do so? Irresponsible devs are getting more common I'm afraid.

It's called crowdfunding.

An indie dev team can't develop a whole game from scratch without fundings.

In order to be able to develop it, they gave us the chance to play it from its earlier stages, and they made it very clear.

This way, they are funded by the money we give them by purchasing the game in an early stage, and thanks to that money, they can develop it further and further until it is complete.

It's not "irresponsibility", it's a game developement model widely used by several companies.

In any case, I think it's you the one who doesn't understand what you signed up for with this game. It was always clear that the game is in an unfinished ALPHA state and that the reason why we are here is to help finish it. We were never advertised a finished product.

Edited by SPANISH_AVENGER
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tousansons said:

"Because if it is named "fuso hull" some less creative people will automatically gravitate towards creating a fuso. Those same less creative people will then bash the game design because there is only 1 or 2 buids they can do on a hull."

1521512426145.gif.a91ac687066646fb4f6764c533b015ff.gif

I don't know how you got to that conclusion with my post. But let's agree to disagree here.

This is just human psychology, tell a human what a toy does and they will only play with that toy the way you described it, give a human a toy with no description and they will discover the possibilities on thier own. Read up, it works on all age groups with toys, tools, software, anything. 

3 minutes ago, DerRichtigeArzt said:

This is just human psychology, tell a human what a toy does and they will only play with that toy the way you described it, give a human a toy with no description and they will discover the possibilities on thier own. Read up, it works on all age groups with toys, tools, software, anything. 

Why quote my post who have nothing to do with what you're trying to say then? Perhaps you misunderstood it?

I don't mind neutral designation and I think using real names can be confusing for some. Also other posts already stated that UA:D is not historical so there is no real point in using real name on hulls/part. 

I am here since Alpha 2. And the biggest dissapointment is that I don't know anything about the campaign. I am a veteran player of UA:D and the lack of communication between the playerbase and dev team is not okey. We payed 50$ to test this game, wich is okey, paying this much for an EA game is our responsibility. But I want to know what is going on with the campaign, I want screenshots and information. I think I can say that we have the right to know how its going to look like. I am reading this forum everyday. And what I see? Everybody is guessing something about the campaign. So this shows that noone knows anything about it. And this is not okey. I own lots of early acces games, and the devs always posted informations, screenshots and even videos about the upcoming updates. A devblog every second week would be welcomed. If the devs would write few lines what is going on would be enough for me. And this would show that the dev team cares about us.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Zuikaku said:

I fear this great game will end up just as Limit theory did. Josh Parnell also cut communication with community only to announce ,a few months later, that the project is cancelled.

Tbh, I do not think the situation is (luckily) that bad atm. We got a reply by Nick last Wednesday, barely a couple of days before the Stillfront takeover announcement. I cannot imagine that all the team-lead devs were not briefed/informed earlier. Negotiations have been going on between the Game-labs CEO and Stillfront for months. You do not arrange these multi-million deals overnight. Considering that we still get a good patch, as announced in alpha 12, and that they are still committed to work on the campaign as specified in the OP should mean that the project is not abandoned. Furthermore UAD seems to be very popular compared to other Game-labs titles. At least that is my current appraisal on the situation. Getting some confirmation by the devs, Gamelabs or Stillfront would be preferred of course.

BlackEdgeMorayEel_cover.jpg

I hate to admit this but I kinda fully lost faith in this project a while ago, thus my scarcity on the forums for the past many months. 

The things I'd really like to see, the things I've been actively asking for (as have many others) since alpha 2 have fallen on deaf ears (mostly the call for older predreadnought hulls and ironclad hulls(((en enchelon turrrets bloop)))) the lack of communication and any information about the ever distant Campaign hasen't helped. 

Honest to fish, the last time I was truly surprused and very pleased with this game was the ironclad battle patch a year ago April 1. 

I thought this game was going to be everything I ever wanted in a warship building, management and battle game, however at this point.. well  I'm sorry Devs, I'm sorry community, this fish has lost faith and pretty much packed it in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Fishyfish said:

BlackEdgeMorayEel_cover.jpg

I hate to admit this but I kinda fully lost faith in this project a while ago, thus my scarcity on the forums for the past many months. 

The things I'd really like to see, the things I've been actively asking for (as have many others) since alpha 2 have fallen on deaf ears (mostly the call for older predreadnought hulls and ironclad hulls(((en enchelon turrrets bloop)))) the lack of communication and any information about the ever distant Campaign hasen't helped. 

Honest to fish, the last time I was truly surprused and very pleased with this game was the ironclad battle patch a year ago April 1. 

I thought this game was going to be everything I ever wanted in a warship building, management and battle game, however at this point.. well  I'm sorry Devs, I'm sorry community, this fish has lost faith and pretty much packed it in. 

Please, don't lose hope that quickly! Maybe I am a bit more used to these set-backs and delays as a backer of seemingly never ending alpha projects such as Automation (ongoing since 2012) and Star Citizen (joined since 2016). It is often very disturbing and nerve wrecking to notice the lack of development or implementation of user suggestions by the developers. However, I am pretty sure they are doing their best. Things are sadly often not that easy to implement right and take a lot of time and resources. This project probably took them a lot more time than anticipated. Unless the devs pull the rug away from this project I still retain hope. Will it be the game of our dreams? Likely not, but no game ever becomes that form my experience. Often the journey is more exciting than the result.

12 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

It's called crowdfunding.

An indie dev team can't develop a whole game from scratch without fundings.

Not my problem, I'm not a dev team, I'm a gamer. Why should you care about things outside your field?

In order to be able to develop it, they gave us the chance to play it from its earlier stages, and they made it very clear.

This way, they are funded by the money we give them by purchasing the game in an early stage, and thanks to that money, they can develop it further and further until it is complete.

What part of 'not my problem' do you not understand? They should get a distributer then, like everybody else. In any case the 'earlier stages' should at least make sense from a developmental standpoint. Which it isn't.

It's not "irresponsibility", it's a game developement model widely used by several companies.

In any case, I think it's you the one who doesn't understand what you signed up for with this game. It was always clear that the game is in an unfinished ALPHA state and that the reason why we are here is to help finish it. We were never advertised a finished product.

Its irresponsible, get over it, be an adult. YWNBAW.

Several companies have tried it, and for every one which succeeds, fifty fails, indie games are famous for being shitheaps, with the occasional golden turd.

I never said this was a finished product, don't put words into my mouth, that's rude. This is indeed an alpha, and guess what alpha is for? "A"dding! And typically most content is supposed to be in BEFORE the alpha, with mechanics and important parts of the game being added primarily.

Instead we got 30 hull types for Chinese battleships.

10 hours ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

Not my problem, I'm not a dev team, I'm a gamer. Why should you care about things outside your field?

What part of 'not my problem' do you not understand? They should get a distributer then, like everybody else. In any case the 'earlier stages' should at least make sense from a developmental standpoint. Which it isn't.

Its irresponsible, get over it, be an adult. YWNBAW.

Several companies have tried it, and for every one which succeeds, fifty fails, indie games are famous for being shitheaps, with the occasional golden turd.

I never said this was a finished product, don't put words into my mouth, that's rude. This is indeed an alpha, and guess what alpha is for? "A"dding! And typically most content is supposed to be in BEFORE the alpha, with mechanics and important parts of the game being added primarily.

Instead we got 30 hull types for Chinese battleships.

This game was ADVERTISED as an "ALPHA IN DEVELOPEMENT". It is YOUR problem if you purchased it without knowing the implications of a crowdfunding campaign. You can't just go blaming everyone else, you are the one who has to get over it and be an adult.

Yes, an alpha is for adding mechanics and important parts of the game primarily. And that's exactly what they are doing. Before adding the campaign, they must first finish the core of the game. Otherwise, they would be releasing a campaign over an otherwise unfinished product, and no one wants that.

Knowing what you are purchasing and getting into is not something that should be "outside your field" if you are a "gamer".

Also, "YWNBAW"? What does that have to do with anything?

17 hours ago, Tycondero said:

Please, don't lose hope that quickly! Maybe I am a bit more used to these set-backs and delays as a backer of seemingly never ending alpha projects such as Automation (ongoing since 2012) and Star Citizen (joined since 2016). It is often very disturbing and nerve wrecking to notice the lack of development or implementation of user suggestions by the developers. However, I am pretty sure they are doing their best. Things are sadly often not that easy to implement right and take a lot of time and resources. This project probably took them a lot more time than anticipated. Unless the devs pull the rug away from this project I still retain hope. Will it be the game of our dreams? Likely not, but no game ever becomes that form my experience. Often the journey is more exciting than the result.

That ship has sailed my fishy friend. This journey hasn't been terribly exciting for me. 

I-was-nominated-by-@shelby.the_.doxie-to

Edited by Fishyfish
Bloop
  • Like 3

It is almost the end of the Q2 of 2021 now. I think the ship designer and game mechanics are stable enough to try in a campaign setting. Can we have any updates about the development of the campaign at the moment?

24 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Close to Q3 now, i wonder if we will see the first 3 core patches this year?

I hope that we will see at least one of them. But looking at the current developement time. Maybe next year. Wich is sad. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Close to Q3 now, i wonder if we will see the first 3 core patches this year?

14 hours ago, Marshall99 said:

I hope that we will see at least one of them. But looking at the current developement time. Maybe next year. Wich is sad. 

Alpha 12 is actually a very big patch, there's alot of stuff listed there, especially what's listed in the end notes, and what we don't know is how much more patching is going to be done pre-campaign. And if more work possibly an alpha patch 13, 14....

But consider this, programmers and artist are probably working quite a few versions ahead and Nick and his team of testers working core 1 and the versions associated with that like Alpha 12. If so then that means releases would catch up quite quickly as the later cores finish.

So it might not be so doom and gloom after all. 

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 2

Guys, we would like to clarify, once again, that our game "Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts" is still under heavy development, the team is growing further and delivers patches constantly. The game is stable and playable because we try to address all major issues that you report and will be finalized with a fully featured campaign, as we have promised. 

We will provide the intermediate patch “Alpha-12” with improvements not because we are far from releasing a campaign but because we do not want you to wait for longer with nothing new added in the game. It is something we believe most of you - if not all - will appreciate.

In the meantime, The team is making good progress and is working hard on the campaign. The Mission generator and map travel is currently being coded.

Regarding the latest positive news and the new collaboration with Stillfront, it is only going to affect the company positively and it will not change anyhow the main concept of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts, as you already know it.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Guys, we would like to clarify, once again, that our game "Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts" is still under heavy development, the team is growing further and delivers patches constantly. The game is stable and playable because we try to address all major issues that you report and will be finalized with a fully featured campaign, as we have promised. 

We will provide the  intermediate patch “Alpha-12” with improvements not because we are far from releasing a campaign but because we do not want you to wait for longer with nothing new added in the game. It is something we believe most of you - if not all - will appreciate.

In the meantime, The team is making good progress and is working hard on the campaign. The Mission generator and map travel is currently being coded.

Regarding the latest positive news and the new collaboration with Stillfront, it is only going to affect the company positively and it will not change anyhow the main concept of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts, as you already know it.

Thank you for the informations, Nick! I am glad to hear these news.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Alpha 12 is actually a very big patch, there's alot of stuff listed there, especially what's listed in the end notes, and what we don't know is how much more patching is going to be done pre-campaign. And if more work possibly an alpha 12 patch part 2.

But consider this, programmers and artist are probably working quite a few versions ahead, on core 2 & 3 at least, and Nick and his team of testers working core 1 and the versions associated with that like Alpha 12. If so then that means releases would catch up quite quickly as the later cores finish.

So it might not be so doom and gloom after all. 

Ye, but they should also probs space stuff out a bit if its too much at the moment. Keeping scope low (for work projects) is good since you can solve problems easier and also get back to it without much problem.

With all the stuff thats planned at least for this year it's quite a lot, hence why i've said at times they should spill into Q1-Q2 for 2022 if needed. The core patchs will be far bigger than this i would say alpha 12 is on par with hood release, 10 or 11 in terms of content (all 3 pretty big updates in there own right).

Also regarding stillfront, only reason why im concerned is that they read more like a stock market broker or a investment bank rather than devs who have passion to create something good and their portfolio doesn't fill me with much content. Not too mention they seem to like short term profits a lot (Not always a good thing).

Im just hoping, this won't effect the guys at game labs too much and they give them similar if not the same freedom they have now.

Too be fair, i thought alpha 12 was coming in because you guys wanted too add some more stuff and needed a larger gap between now and then. But either way sounds good. Not sure about the mission generator, if this is a placeholder for something like total war (in terms of fleets travelling then, im good) if you can't do something similar to total war then thats fine.

Also i think peeps are also concerned about the number of projects going on at the same time which may be poaching resources, time and devs to sort stuff out between the 4-5 different games. If that isn't the case then fair play (also how in the ruddy hell do manage all of that lol).

Either way as i've said time and again, take yer time rather have something fleshed out and done properly than rushed. I think most got freaked out because we've seen bigger game companies like EA and activision, plus Wargaming to some extent, buy out potential competition or promising indie studios only for them to get erased, collapsed, change beyond recognition and falter.

Regardless, if this is good for the company then i look forward to the development of this game (i really do like it a lot and has a lot of potential to become a market leader in this area if done right or near-right). 

Anyways lads go easy, can't wait for the campaign nick take your time on it. 

Cheers 'w'/

• Like 6