Game-Labs Forum

I made this post out of curiosity. Edits are highlighted.

So you likely know of those likely written in a napkin super-battleship designs the Japanese and Germans did? The A-150 and H-39 were possible to do (and one of them was partially built), but the bigger ones (looking at you, 130,000 ton H-44) were just delusional fantasies at the time.

But that got me wondering.

We know about the WW2 fantasy ship wet-dreams (we even have them in the game) but what about WW1 super-super-dreadnoughts? Forget the WWI stuff. Tillmans were a concept. I really want to know about similar plans for "super-pre-dreadnoughts"? Weren't any overly sized designs for battleships back in those times for dreadnoughts and pre-dreadnoughts? I cant find any stuff like that, but I'm curious about it.

Do any of you got a picture or a name or anything about a overly sized project in the pre-dread/ironclad era?

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, SonicB said:

Well, let me be the one to throw in the Tillman Battleships... Drach did a great tl;dr video on them too.

I did happen to know about them just before reading this. Thanks anyways.

But I am particularly interested if any pre-dreadnought or iron clad stuff like this was ever squetched.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

Why do you find 130,000 ton ships to be "delusional fantasies" when there are 650,000 ton ships saioling out there?

did they even have a drydock big enough for that? reminds me of one of the out of the box ship design for the new us carriers: it was a reverse wedge shape due to two landing decks angled outwards and could hold 200 planes. no existing drydock could fit it.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

Why do you find 130,000 ton ships to be "delusional fantasies" when there are 650,000 ton ships saioling out there?

Fine. They were fantasies at the time. 

You weren't gonna find anybody that was a serious naval designer taking you seriously if you proposed a 300k ton Semi-Dreadnought.

But what I am looking for was, even if not proposed, a design that was pure fantasy at the time. Like the Tillman Dreadnoughts in WW1 and the H-Class (H-39 and H-40 get an excuse as they were partially built) in WW2. Or even the 2,000k ton frozen wood carrier the british wanted...

Edited by Stormnet