Game-Labs Forum

My first campaign - British

LAVA

I flank the enemy position, take the city, attack one of the forts from behind and then wait for the rest of the enemy to attack me at the city... where I slaughter them. An easy battle if you don't frontally assault forts sitting on tops of mountains.

With 2 new 3rd Rates under my command we meet the French at the Battle of Grand Hiver. A brutal battle, we capture several of their ships including the 3rd Rate Audacieux.

I capture the merchant Coventry and a frigate, land my marines to take the harbor and then throw up my hands as my 2 star units are getting shredded by 1 stars and say "That's good enough."

On to the Battle of Cape St. Vincent!

At the Battle of Cape St. Vincent we capture two 2nd Rate Ships of the Line, and a 4th and 5th Rate Frigate. As an award, HMS Victory becomes part of our squadron... and Nelson smiles!

Though we win the battle and capture 3 ships, we take lots of damage with Victory losing her aft mast. Could have been worse as I lost track of one my 3rd rates and she therefore joined the battle late.

Big thanks to a couple more folks who subscribed to my channel and to everyone who enjoys the videos!

In part one I destroy the forts cannon, land my marines, capture 2 supply wagons, more towards our first objective and take a supply point to fill up the captured wagons. A long video with not a lot of action...

This is the most comprehensive harbor to date. I bring 2 new ships into my fleet, get all my crews to 3 star status, go through officer selection, replacing a lost marine unit, change some guns, and add a repair module to my new ships. Very expensive... but worth it!

Nelson attacks the Danish fleet and destroys it. It comes at price though as we lose the 3rd rates Vanguard and Agamemnon. We do capture a 2nd and 3rd rate during the battle and I find 3 new 3rd rates added to my fleet in port.

Not my best battle. Two times speed was a bit much for me to handle as ships go aground (as they did in the actual battle) and though I am repairing my ships I was unable to properly handle the type of shot for my cannons.

Nevertheless an exciting battle to play.

We annihilate the Danish fleet at the Battle of Camperdown sinking 6 ships and capturing 7 (1 First Rate, 1 2nd Rate, 2 3rd Rates and 3 5th Rates).

A double ration of rum for everyone!

We sink 8 and capture 4, including the 3 target merchants earning 155,000 gold in supplies. A long video as completing the mission is based much more on seamanship than gunnery.

My fleet sinks 11 ships and captures a 5 rate and the 2 target merchants earning me 110,000 supplies. A pretty heavy cost though as I lose one of my best Captains and 3 other fine officers.

While we lose 1 ship during the battle, we nearly annihilate the enemy fleet sinking 7 and capturing 12. Only 5 manage to escape.

Again, a little crazy handling the battle at 2x speed, but it all work out in the end.

... and Nelson survived the campaign!

After having finishing the British Campaign of the final and published version of Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail, I give my thoughts about the game and I am very blunt in such matters. I apologize if some of my impressions are in fact incorrect... but they are my impressions and if you have a different perspective please don't hesitate to comment.

• Like 1

Some information on a few of the areas you were asking about. There were several phases of testing. Closed beta, the admiral edition open beta, then early access on steam. Lots of feedback was given and many changes made based on that feedback in each of those phases. They didn't end up listing the closed beta testers in the credits this time around, but there was definitely a group participating in that process.

There ended up being far less activity on the game-labs forum because the majority of the discussion moved to the game's discord channel.

You mentioned that the game should have a tutorial on harbor management, if you bring up the menu with escape in either the harbor or in battle there are 7 additional tutorial videos one of which covers officer stats.

• 5 months later...

Thank you so much for your video mission walkthroughs. I still think they need to either decrease the number of enemy ships or increase the amount of rep/money you can earn. 4 or 5 3-rates against 10-12 SOLs is insane! I do think that the tutorials are not as good as they should be. Overall, thanks for doing this. Hopefully it will help me be a better Admiral in this game. 

• Like 1