Game-Labs Forum

So you lose all experience with new ships?

Ali579

So you actually kinda lose all your experienced 3 stars sailors when coming across a better ship, and you can't transfer any of good sailors, and for any better and bigger ship you just start with raw recruits.

Older smaller, say, 48 cannons ship with 300 3* sailors thus might have better punch and sail better, and abordage better than new and bigger 60 cannon-ship with 400 raw recruits.

That have some logic like sailors were more tied to the ship they served? I'm not sure how exactly that worked historically.

But it seems a step back from UGCW where even if you disbanded one unit, they went into recruits pool and the average quality of new recruits rose accordingly!

I haven't had time to play the campaign yet, just watch a bunch of videos.

My impression is that when you give a new ship a Captain, he brings with him trained sailors. I think I have also seen something about reserves, but haven't figured that out yet.

Hopefully, someone with some experience will jump in here and give us both some good advice.

If you disband or reduce the crew of an existing ship those men go into the reserve. You can then use those men to crew a new ship or land unit, or add to an existing one by having the reserve button checked.

If the reserve pool is empty when you add men to it all stats are retained as is. If other men are already in the pool, their stats will get averaged. So it can take some fiddling, but you can move experienced crews around as desired without any xp loss.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

If you disband or reduce the crew of an existing ship those men go into the reserve. You can then use those men to crew a new ship or land unit, or add to an existing one by having the reserve button checked.

If the reserve pool is empty when you add men to it all stats are retained as is. If other men are already in the pool, their stats will get averaged. So it can take some fiddling, but you can move experienced crews around as desired without any xp loss.

Yes, I have seen folks add a bunch of men to an existing ship and then after having added them, reduce the amount of men to 0. I would assume this is how you add men to your reserve.

My question is, how do you know how many men are in reserve and what quality are they or are they just added to the pool of recruits, given them somewhat better stats?

If you have men in reserve there is a number in the top right in harbor that displays the amount available. You can hover over it to see their stats similar to UGCW.

I haven't tried it in a bit, but I think if you have no men in reserve, but do have the box checked then you can still 'buy' veterans like in UGCW.

3 hours ago, LAVA said:

Yes, I have seen folks add a bunch of men to an existing ship and then after having added them, reduce the amount of men to 0. I would assume this is how you add men to your reserve.

My question is, how do you know how many men are in reserve and what quality are they or are they just added to the pool of recruits, given them somewhat better stats?

Think of the reserve pool as something special of only what you put into it and keep in mind that life boats crews from fire ships used in a battle or other situations from those battles the crews may also be put into your special pool which may change the stats within your special reserve pool but if that happens we are talking only of the veterans that were active in that current battle so they were earning xp so if any of them ended up into your reserve pool the affect should be a good thing. Don't confuse the pool that was in UGCW It's not the same here and what I mean is UGCW, if you left any men in your pool after a battle all the troops that you earned from that battle go in there and the good stats that you left in there would be crushed or affected badly and that is one reason not to leave high stat troops in that pool but in this game you don't have to worry about that they don't force (new recruits or earned troops) into your wonderful reserve pool here. Hover over your reserve pool to see their stats. Not sure if this helps but correct me if I am wrong?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

If you have men in reserve there is a number in the top right in harbor that displays the amount available. You can hover over it to see their stats similar to UGCW.

I haven't tried it in a bit, but I think if you have no men in reserve, but do have the box checked then you can still 'buy' veterans like in UGCW.

Yes I think you are right a clicked check into reserve if reserve is empty you are buying veterans of that unit if whenever reserve is unchecked you are buying new recruits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doublebuck said:

Think of the reserve pool as something special of only what you put into it and keep in mind that life boats crews from fire ships used in a battle or other situations from those battles the crews may also be put into your special pool which may change the stats within your special reserve pool but if that happens we are talking only of the veterans that were active in that current battle so they were earning xp so if any of them ended up into your reserve pool the affect should be a good thing. Don't confuse the pool that was in UGCW It's not the same here and what I mean is UGCW, if you left any men in your pool after a battle all the troops that you earned from that battle go in there and the good stats that you left in there would be crushed or affected badly and that is one reason not to leave high stat troops in that pool but in this game you don't have to worry about that they don't force (new recruits or earned troops) into your wonderful reserve pool here. Hover over your reserve pool to see their stats. Not sure if this helps but correct me if I am wrong?  

Ah!

So that is why folks buy veterans for a ship and then reduce the crew. The amount reduced enters into a pool you can then use to man other ships.

Is that correct?